Why is the AARP welcoming the privatization of Medicare?

Why is the AARP welcoming the privatization of Medicare? I thought more members and people in general should know the AARP earns as much as $814 million annually from insurers advertising the plans. The safety net so many rely on for dignity and basic care is being gutted and AARP is happily joining right in as far as I can tell. With this kind of 'advocacy' there won't be any Medicaid left by the time I retire, let alone the gaps I am soon going to have to help my parents navigate. Shame on you, AARP.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Medicare has always been a blend of public-private health care features, and the core issue remains finding a balance of benefits provided at affordable overall costs.  Interestingly, to help cut unacceptably long wait times for patients Canada has been allowing more private care delivery within its health system.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/ford-says-surgical-waitlists-will-mirror-pre-pandemic-levels-by-march-un... 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/canada-pursues-private-options-to-ease-healthcare-backlogs-11674316841

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ClaudetteB130970 

Already discussed on this board back in November 2022 - gave more info in that discussion which may help you to understand this policy in Medicare better.

Here is the link to the November 2022 discussion:

AARP Medicare and Insurance Community Board 11/30/2022 - AARP ADVOCATING FOR MEDICARE PRIVATIZATION?

@ClaudetteB130970 said

.. . . With this kind of 'advocacy' there won't be any Medicaid left by the time I retire, let alone the gaps I am soon going to have to help my parents navigate. 

==============================

BTW - It is MEDICARE not MEDICAID and from your comments, you do have a lot to learn about the Medicare system before enrollment and making the choices you have to make inside the system. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Except no one can learn anything about any of the healthcare system regardless if it's medicaid or medicare, the entire system is one giant mess that has to have a few basic things corrected before it's actually usable. Right now it's not usable in the condition it's in.

0 Kudos

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD MEDICARE BE PRIVATIZED

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Bad support article. It is not true.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP