Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

UHC Medicare UCard OTC Credits

Has anyone used this to purchase eligible items on Walmart.com or in store at Walmart, CVS etc?

I have $75 to spend on my Ucard which is this years version of 'healthy benefits' which worked great a couple of years ago once they got the wrinkles ironed out. 

I go to Walmart.com and choose some refresh

eye drops (which are also sold through the UHC catalog at a higher price and Nature's Bounty B vitamins both of which are sold and shipped by Walmart.com

Both of these items are eligible items however neither of them triggers the $75 OTC credits either because Walmart doesn't see them as eligible (this is unlikely) or because UHC is not showing them that the card has $75 in OTC credits.

My account shows the $75 in OTC credits but under 'details' and OTC it also shows I have zero available OTC credits because I have already spent $75.  This was on the very first day.  I haven't purchased a thing.

The only thing I haven't tried and maybe I should is to go to Walmart and try and buy in the store because I do not want to be in line and have to end up bringing things back or buying them with my own money.

I sent screenshots of my attempted transactions to UHC showing that I am trying to purchase eligible items yet the $75 in OTC credits are not available.  Their first response was to parrot that the items must be eligible and sold and shipped by Walmart.com - they considered that closing the issue like they were dealing with a dementia patient.

I believe this is just a scam so one has to buy things through their inadequate overpriced in house catalog.

After sending more screen shots they now, rather than look into it further have sent this to grievances and appeals.

I also have the same problem when I called United Healthcare they oretty much told me tough. They had no solution. So I tried their on line Over the counter and they have very few choices, out of most items, and very expensive for the few things they have available. I have never had this problem in previous years. 

I have the same problems. Then, if you have rewards, it takes from the rewards balance first, leaving the OTC balance. Since March 2021, this has all occurred.

I'm furious. I can not get out to shop. Their "Optum Online Store" is not only expensive,  always out of stock for items I need, but they also have a $35 minimum for shipping. So for me, who can't get out to shop, I either buy the $75 worth of things I don't really need since if I use, let's say $50, I lost the $25 because it's not enough to ship.  ITS LIKE A SCAM. DID MEDICARE FORCE THEM TO PROVIDE THIS SERVICE AND EXTRA MONEY SO THEY ARE GETTING BACK WHAT THEY CAN? WE COULD GET SO MUCH MORE *OF WHAT WE NEED AND WANT* FROM WALMART, WALGREENS, CVS. ETC, AND OFTEN AT SALES PRICES RATHER THAN THIS USELESS STORE OF *THEIRS* ONLINE.  THERE SHOULD BE NO MINIMUM TO ORDER! PLEASE, LET'S GET THEM TO CHANGE THIS? PETITION OR SOMETHING?  AGAIN, I CAN'T GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND AM NOT ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES GETTING $180 EXTRA PER MONTH TO SPEND ON GROCERIES, OTC, UTILITIES,  ETC. I WILL DROP AARP UHC FOR THIS REASON ALONE!!!   NOT TO MENTION MY COPAYS OUTSIDE OF PRIMARY ARE INSANE

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Hi, Gary ~ I am 100% onboard with you on this. Same thing happens me, over and over and over.  Please add my name, Andrea LeFrancois, on your complaint.  Maybe if enough of us echo what you're submitting we might get a resolution.  Like yourself, I've been forced to shop at the U-Card Hub, settling for expensive prices. And, at my Wal-Mart, which is 13 miles away (I live in rural area) at most has 1 CSR, 2 Cashiers and absolutely zero of them could help me shop in-store due to lack of knowledge!!! I appreciate your efforts to tackle this. I, too, believe we are being forced shop U-Card Hub.  Feel free to reply to me, or reach out via email    [personal info removed]

Please add me too.  JoAnn Hilton.  I have cancer and rarely leave the house.  I finally got the energy up,  got to walmart and got what I needed and it accepted $23 of the $75 dollars.  Also, there is a $35 minimum for shipping so it's use it all at once (on way overpriced crap I don't want/need just so I don't lose it all). I'm not a lucky one who gets $175 a month to spend on utilities, groceries, otc etc so this $75 is NECESSARY BUT USELESS. ILL GET RID OF UHC FOR THIS REASON 

Periodic Contributor

I am collecting info/ proof of my issues with Ucard and I am filing a complaint to CFPB ( consumer financial protection bureau). 

Contributor

Hi Gary, add my name also.  Ucard is essentially worthless to me.  It is exceedingly complex to use and covers nothing I am likely to use.  A waste of a supposed benefit

Contributor

Hi

0 Kudos

Hi Gary - please add my name to your complaint - Jamie Schlintz is my spouse who is covered by the U-Card. I used the link on the UHC website to connect with Walmart.com, which does NOT let me use the U-card as a payment option. I tried to purchase several items I had noted were on the UHC website from Walgreens and my card was not accepted. The only success I have had with using this card was to order online from UHC with order fulfilled by Walmart mail order.

I have worked for UHC in the past - did not realize they purchased the company I accepted employment from - they are masterful in creating many little subsidiaries that are actually part of UHC but work effectively in barring or delaying benefits for UHC members. 

The only reason I selected the UHC plan was because of their relationship with AARP and my hopes that they would at least try to be professional - sadly not surprised to find it is the usual store front facade with a fancy window dressing and an empty store inside.

My husband went over a month without diabetic testing supplies because UHC was requiring his doctor to send 6-month follow-up notes, the only company allowed by UHC to fulfill these supplies did not even request the notes until after his prescription was past renewal and even after receiving the notes then required the doctor to respond to a further question on how many times he scanned during the day - I could not provide this information direct to them - it had to come from the doctor, who got it from me.

UHC is once again a monumental disappointment - Dave Wick and company are notorious for making a business look attractive by providing a bunch of empty promises, but no case management, no support when you need help, but a plethora of unwanted phone calls from reps who can tell you nothing about things you actually need to know about. 

Periodic Contributor

I have proof that the UHC OTC Ucard paid for walmart.com purchases such as cookies and cat litter in March 2023. Now in July it rejected my Ucard in-store and when I add it to payment method at Walmart.com it shows zero balance yet UHC website shows I have 80 plus dollars?

Info Seeker

I ended up taking things back and shopping on the UHC catalog. It was broken or a scam. Made a complaint also. 

Periodic Contributor

I went through the exact same experience as you did, same reply from UHC. Basically,  I got nowhere.  I have credits that expire in two (2) days.  😞  I need to find someone to drive me to Wal-Mart and hope 🙏 that someone in customer service will be able to "see" my OTC balance and help me check out....... and this doesn't even include my Rewards balance.  If you have any follow up success, please let me know [ Mod Edit: Please do not post personal details in public areas of the community - Personal details removed for your online safety]😀

Regular Contributor

I tried out my UCard at both Walgreens and Walmart. I had $60 on my UCard, $40 in OTC credits and $20 in rewards credits. I went to Walgreens and bought some Nature Made vitamin supplements. These supplements are not in the online UHC catalog. The purchase of the supplements went through without a problem. Next, I went to Walmart. I bought a foot care product that was not in the UHC online OTC catalog. I paid for it at the pharmacy counter. The purchase went through without a problem. My UCard still has the $20 rewards credit on it and only a few dollars left on the OTC credit. 

So far ... it works for me.

Periodic Contributor

Great to hear!!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Update to Ucard for In-store Use

As many of you have discovered a significant number of items eligible for purchase with the OTC benefit are being declined at store reegisters.  This includes both items in the Catalog and items indicated as eligible with the scaner in the UHC phone app.

My experience is that only about 20% of the eligible items I attempt to purchase at S3 retail network are being accepted at the reguster.  That seems to correspond to the experience others are having.

If you are also experiencing this issue, please complain and complain often to UHC and to Solutran technical support 833-853-8590.  Use the messaging system found under the Help section of the UHC website.  If a response does not address the problem, click reply, tell them so, and resend your complaint (I used the copy and paste function).

Here's a copy of what I last sent to UHC that supposedly is being kicked up for further investibation:

Your reply did not address the problem. 

The Ucard does not work seemlesly at S3 retail network stores.

About 80% of eligible OTC items are rejected at the register.

Thisa includes items listed in the Firstline catalog as eligible but rejected at network stores.

Please read my original complaint below and address this issue:

UHC App Scans Eligible OTC Items at S3 Network Stores that get declined at register.

About 80% of the eligible OTC items verified by the scanner in the UHC app are being declared ineligible at the cash register.

Even items that are listed in the catalog by Firstline Benefits are being declined for purchase in S3 retail network stores like Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens.

The Ucard has worked for some OTC purchases but as mentioned above most eligible items are being rejected for OTC purchase at the store registers.

When are these discrepancies expected to be resolved?"

Periodic Contributor

I am collecting info/ proof of my issues with Ucard and I am filing a complaint to CFPB ( consumer financial protection bureau). 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you for your detailed experience and your complaint to UHC. I plan on copying your correspondence and getting it to the "Powers that Be" at UHC.  Perhaps if enough of us frustrated members force them to spend their work day reviewing our hardships, they'll get to work on fixing the issue! 

Contributor

I used their scanner on my iPhone & the bananas (it read) are covered. Well, not at checkout. I paid for the groceries (Walmart on Orangeburg, Modesto, Ca) & then went to the car & phoned them. I suggested a bank card with a chip. Their solution, I’ll receive a new card. I repeated, I need a bank card with a chip. 

Contributor

Aside from making it easier to use, a credit-card type of card would permit me to leave my Medicare card in my wallet!  I do not like having to take out my Medicare card to pay for purchases.  I keep my store membership cards and credit cards in a separate wallet.  My drivers license and Medicare card are not items I want loose at a store where I am scanning and bagging my purchases.  I detest using my Medicare card as a payment card.... Plus, at some stores it requires using a human cashier since the self-check scanners cannot cope with this stupid method.  GIVE US a regular payment card with a chip so we can use it at Self-Check and so we can keep our important cards safe in our wallets.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Ucard tip for Reward Dollars

The card will first apply OTC dollars to eligible products and then apply Reward dollars to any that the store register declared ineligible.  As many have discovered, the UHC product scanner in their App will show items as eligible only to have them declined at the store.

Reward dollars can be spent on almost anything.  The solution is to spend your reward dollars first on things that you know will not be eligible for OTC dollars.  Then at a latter time or seperate transaction, attempt to buy your OTC items.  If any are rejected, you can then delcine to purchase them and look for substitues that will be covered.

Regular Contributor

I suggest all of you avoid the entire ucare system until you watch the series of videos i'm making on this because if you think the system is a mess from what you have, you haven't even scratched the surface of what the problems are with this. I'll be making the video series and posting it on the main page of this specific forum so keep an eye out for them.

Periodic Contributor

Please, if possible, email me the video(s)! I, for one, appreciate your time and effort with this malarkey! It's frustrating and annoying!  

0 Kudos

I'm still trying to figure out how to use it at walmart.com.....there is no way to scan your card or where I can just push a button and use card. I have been given gift cards in the past from relatives for xmas and I still have those sitting around. I can't figure this stuff out...Whose losing out? Me! I spent 2 hours online trying to figure out how to use it. My daughter is going to take me to Walmart one of these days soon to use it, although she prefers I do it online...Ugh...Sucks to get old! (and I live alone! so nobody here to show me).

Periodic Contributor

I'm in the same boat as you.  Disabled,  no vehicle and I live in a rural area.  I'm two days away from my credits expiring and the items that I need are SOLD OUT on the UCARD app. I'm beginning to think that this is a ploy so that UHC isn't paying their "so called" merchant partners, and we are paying our Premiums that include this credits, only to expire and be lost.  I feel DUPED.

Contributor

I used my UCard & UHC app today at Walmart in Modesto on Orangeburg & the healthy food I scanned while checking the item on the shelf, it said’. Approved’. At checkout, nothing was paid for by my UCard or iPhone ‘card’. I paid for these healthy items & then called United Healthcare when I got to my card. I suggested a bank card with a chip & the employee will only send me a new card.  I reminded him to tell his higher ups my suggestion.

Periodic Contributor

Ucard works in person at Walmart, Walgreen etc. in stores.  It doesn't work through Walmart.com online.  Only renew credit can be use through walmart.com, not OTC credit.   

Not true. Many products scanned on the UHC app for purchase that are approved, will not be approved at the Walmart register. for payment.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was in person at Walmart today & the card wasn’t working. Neither my card nor my iPhone card code.

Periodic Contributor

You can buy healthy food, whatever with renew credit part of Ucard, not with OTC credit.

UHC website needs to be clear on which part of Ucard apply to what item.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP