From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 441 of 651

One more number to factor in when deciding to stay/go with UHC and AARP -- the COLA "raise" in 2019.  It could mean $30 or so more income/month for the year -- which could be used to pay the 50% share of the gym membership.  But still...Grrrrrr UHC and AARP!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 442 of 651

You are very fortunate.  Our senior center has class for 8 weeks for $55 for residents and $65 for non residents.  Two of the classes offered were Silver Sneakers which was a big savings.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 443 of 651

I will specify cc: AARP, UHC and Medicare on my letter to the State Insurance Commission. 

Our local Park and Recreation Center is looking into creating their own classes for Seniors at a monthly rate. Hopefully the cost will be reasonable. Also our Senior Center has an exercise class once a week as well as other activities and the fee is only $10 a year. 

I don't think there there will be an overwhelming amount of participation that UHC expected in their new program. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 444 of 651

I have written a letter to the CEO of United Healthcare and mailed it out last week. Not sure if he will read it or if one of his office assistants will trash it before it gets to his desk.

I like your idea of contacting the State Insurance Commission and Medicare to complain. I prefer to keep my medigap policy instead going over to a Medicare Advantage plan.

In the meantime, I am looking at the park district and fitness centers in my neighborhood that offer a senior discount.  I have found one that I may switch to.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 445 of 651

Yes, you have summed up the scheme correctly. I plan to draft a  complaint to our State Insurance Commission and file a complaint online with Medicare. Even though AARP/UHC seem to “have the legal right” to do this, it doesn’t make it right.

If it is true that their Afvantage and Complete plans still Iinclude the Optum Fit membership for FREE, but exclude this benefit from the Medigap Supplemental plans, isn’t that discrimination?  

At at the very least, Medicare could reduce UHC’s star rating and AARP will lose membership. Make public opinion count. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 446 of 651

To qualify for the medigap plan offered by United Health Care it was a requirement to join AARP. Please note that you DO NOT need to renew your AARP membership once your plan has been issued by UHC. In summary if you are renewing your AARP membership thinking it is a requirement to continue your UHC coverage, it is not.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 447 of 651

To qualify for the medigap plan offered by United Health Care it was a requirement to join AARP. Please note that you DO NOT need to renew your AARP membership once your plan has been issued by UHC. In summary if you are renewing your AARP membership thinking it is a requirement to continue your UHC coverage, it is not.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 448 of 651

And we have a letter from AARP/UHC which we can take to our local YMCA or Gym to encourage them to join UHC 50% off program for us seniors.  For 2019 our premiums have increased (again) and we have lost Silver Sneakers and we can go to our GYM to ask them to participate in the program.  So AARP/UHC are using us to market the new program which costs us money and costs AARP/UHC nothing.   Such a great deal for everyone, RIGHT?

Checking with my broker today to determine if we can change insurers for 2019 and will drop AARP when renewal arrives

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 449 of 651

@ls63763447 wrote:

They pay for NOTHING!  You, however, pay 1/2 the price of the membership price per month.  I was told by our Rec Center that they do not reimburse them for the other half which is why they rejected being part of their new program.

Who pays the Rec Center for the SilverSneakers program offered under the AARP/ UHC brand?

Tivity Health, the parent company for the SilverSneakers program

OR

United Healthcare, the private insurer for these AARP branded Medicare policies - MA plans as well as Medigap plans - that are discontinuing the SilverSneakers program for one of their own making.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 450 of 651

They pay for NOTHING!  You, however, pay 1/2 the price of the membership price per month.  I was told by our Rec Center that they do not reimburse them for the other half which is why they rejected being part of their new program.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season