Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

HSA Question

I have a fast approaching 27 year old son whom my wife and I claim as a dependent on our annual tax returns. We are currently researching possible individual health insurance plans for him since he can no longer be covered under my wife's employer sponsored plan. Regarding allowable uses for HSA contributions, can we use her HSA account to pay for any of his medical expenses such as prescription drugs, doctor/dental visits etc.?

Thank you for any replies and please stay safe and vote early!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree with @GailL1, why are you claiming your 27-year-old son as a dependent? Regarding using your HSA funds, those funds can be used for eligible expenses for any family member.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

1st question would be WHY is the 27 year old still being claimed as a dependent?

If he has some sort of disability that hampers his independence, if that sort of classification of a disability is documented by medical professionals or the Social Security Administration, depending upon his age when disabled, he might be allowed to remain as a dependent on her employer plan  or he might be eligible for Medicaid.

However, if he has little to NO income when he applies for coverage on the ACA exchange on healthcare.gov, he will be referred to Medicaid.

As far as using an HSA plan to pay for(or be reimbursed for) his medical expenses - that is a question either for your wife's employer OR the IRS in Publication 969.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP