Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

2022 Generic Copay with PDP, Wellbutrin, Synthroid

Conversationalist

2022 Generic Copay with PDP, Wellbutrin, Synthroid

Thought I had seen it all during the "window shopping" phase. Today I saw something I have never seen in all the years I have been running drug reports.

Generic Wellbutrin (bupropion) copay on a $13 drug plan is $384 for a 30 day supply. GoodRx $14 with Kroger.

Generic Synthroid (levothyroxine) is $150 on the same plan. GoodRx + Kroger = $13.

Be careful out there.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I ran a Medicare.gov plan finder search for those drugs using a 30311 Fulton County zip code, and compared a $6.90 and a $12.90 premium per month PDP. I found those plans using a preferred in-network pharmacy or mail order would cost between $2300 and $3000 annually.

Then I searched the prices for those same drugs using the Kroger Rx savings price as you mentioned and you’re right there is a big savings. As a matter of fact, I found the levothyroxine at Kroger for $6 a month and the bupropion for $13. I couldn’t believe it.

Just to see how drug prices compare across the country, I searched Medicare.gov using a central Ohio zip code. I found those same drugs using the PDP plans I think you used (going by premium prices) between $300 and $400 per year. I couldn’t believe the difference in drugs prices between the two zip codes. I didn’t bother to check Kroger Rx savings prices.

Still only paying $36/yr individual plan, or $72/yr family plan for membership in the Kroger Rx savings plan you can save quite a bit of money with certain prescriptions.

Any tier 3,4,5,6 prescriptions purchased without going through a Medicare PDP will not count towards your 2022 Medicare PDP $480 deductible

I noticed beginning last year most of the big box store pharmacies became preferred in-network and started charging lower prices for prescriptions. I guess whatever it takes to bring people into the store.

Even though it’s possible to use prescription discounts like GoodRx to find lower cost drugs I know you do educate Medicare age folks about the Part D late-enrollment penalty. Just in case they think they got GoodRx and don’t need to pay $6.90 to have a low-cost PDP.

There is a lot of people paying that late enrollment penalty for not having a prescription drug coverage because they thought GoodRx would cover all their drugs at reasonable prices, they don't always have the lowest prices..

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP