Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

Regular Contributor

- Ghost โ€“ Patrick Swayzee and Demi Moore

- Titanic โ€“ Leo DeCapprio and Kate Winslet

Silver Conversationalist

Cant top those 2..

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

For me it's Ghost, starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore.  Unchained Melody is also my favorite song.  

Silver Conversationalist

The Way We Were.. I luv that movie so much that I cant watch it.. So sad that they didnt end up together in the end. Art imitates life !

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Love Story with Ali McGraw and Ryan O Neal. 

Conversationalist

Maybe not the most romantic ever, but one of the most romantic, I would say, "Doctor Zhivago" starring Omar Sharif.

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

I agree.....It's Dr. Zhivago, for me .  

Another is: Love Is a Many Splendid Thing.  (William Holden and Jennifer Jones)  

An Affair to Remember   (Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr )  

Periodic Contributor

"Love is a Many Splendid Thing" that is a good one, based on a true story, makes it better. 

Splendor in the Grass, Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood is also one of my favorites. 

Periodic Contributor

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
Regular Contributor

The Graduate

They knew they where in love. The bravely said the hell with everyone else. This is what we want and against tremendous pressure they did it.

Super Contributor

I like "High Society" and the "African Queen"
In olden days, Hollywood knew how to make great romantic movies.

David from New York
David Eig
Periodic Contributor

Barbra in The Way We Were with Robert Redford

Silver Conversationalist

My favorite, Casablanca.                 Also An Affair to Remember and one that not too many people talk about, Miracle in the Rain.  My mom loved those old movies and what great memories of sitting there watching the musicals and love stories and westerns  and comedies with her.     21st Century: The Notebook.

Periodic Contributor

An Affair to Remember was a great movie.  Love Susan Hayward! 

Periodic Contributor

"The Magic of Ordinary Days" starring Keri Russell and Skeet Ulrich. Made in 2005 and set in the mid-West during WWI, it follows the journey of a young (single) pregnant woman whose appalled father sends her half-way across the country to marry a farmer she's never met. Beautifully acted, intelligently scripted and visually appealing, it transports us back to a tenuous time in our history.  The displaced

mother-to-be continues writing to the soldier she fell in love with hoping he'll rescue her.  Desperate for companionship during the long days at home while her new stranger husband works the farm, she befriends two Japanese sisters from California who are working in the fields and living in a nearby internment camp.  The film is sweet, compassionate, gentle and revealing. It is full of heart, understanding, forgiveness and love.  For all these reasons and more, it's my pick for the most romantic movie ever.

Periodic Contributor

Picnic, with William Holden and Kim Novak, I feel is the most romatic movie ever.  The scene in which they dance to the song "Moonglow' has always been memorable for me.

Social Butterfly

One before my time but I watch it at least once a year-Casablanca

Contributor

maybe not the best but leaves your heart wanting more , you actually feel n connect if it hadn't happened at one time to you ... check out a walk in the spring rain 1970 Anthony Quinn and Ingrid Bergman cant get any better than that for talent
Regular Social Butterfly

Bodyguard  of course.....Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner

or

An Officer and A Gentleman.....Debra Winger and Richard Gere

LOL...I think Smiley Very Happy

and that movie has the most romantic scene - when Gere carries Winger out of the factory at the end when she had thought it was over and everyone is cheering.

Contributor

try kevin Costner in REVENGE w Anthony quinn n madeline stowe...powerful movie
Contributor

I really enjoyed Somewhere in Time

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Somewhere in Time really made me cry every single time I watchedit and that was again and again.  Loved it  Great movie 

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I just remembered a movie I saw many, many years ago.  It starred Sally Field and James Garner in a May-December type love story entitled

Murphy's Romance. 

Even though I haven't seen the movie in years (over thirty to be exact),  I remember it fondly as a good, well-acted, tug-at-the-heartstrings love story.

Conversationalist

There have been many films with exceptionally romantic scenes, such as Picnic, which was recently posted and which I like very much. But for start-to-finish romanticism, I don't think the 1937 MacDonald-Eddy film Maytime can be beaten.

Periodic Contributor

It woiuld seem that some individuals confused the word "romantic" with "favorite".  I looked at the subject feeling of the film. to define a film as romantic.  Which for is why  An Affair to Remember topped my list.  The subject matter and focus of the film was romance between 2 people.  As I've read through some of the responses they have a romantic element ( some don't even pass that test) but their focus is not the romance. Some introduce sexual attraction which seems to me to be a more animal connection where romance is purely human. I'm not trying to criticize anyone's selection...just trying to justify my own choice.....ken.

Conversationalist

One that comes up from the dusty archives of my memories: Griffin and Phoenix, the 1976 version.

Peter Falk and Jill Clayburgh made a great couple with a love that endured to the grave. I've never seen the 2006 remake with Amanda Peet and Dermot Mulroney, so can't speak for it.

Periodic Contributor

movie names ?
Contributor

An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP