Gold Conversationalist

PENPALS

Please post a reply if you would like to be penpals.

thank-you-glitters-34.gif

Periodic Contributor

Hi Pamela, I’v Had a long day. Started with the Gym then the market and trying to get some kind of food into my body. I wasn’t alone so I had to consider other people. I was just happy to be able to get whatever was needed.   Dropped that person and went to the meeting and I was very hyper so I was agitated the whole time. 5:30-7pm. But I am home and relaxing.   Before I left my house this morning I made a pattern for bags and I cut out 3 bags and will sew it together tomorrow.  Relax with a free mind. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, Allan...

Am not sure whom you addressed your doggie/weather message to. Very considerate of you to get a "swimming pool" for your German shepherd in this horrid weather.

I live in a Los Angeles suburb which is presently undergoing gentrification and produces mountains of dust. For the past two-three weeks we've had 105+ in the shade with nighttime around 70+. One can get acclimated, but it's difficult.  As much as I enjoyed your introduction I realize that I am just too old for you - 10 years your senior and a childless widow, though love animals. Had I been younger perhaps we could have exchanged interesting emails.

In the meanwhile, keep your chin up, all is not lost yet. Best to you and yours.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Dita,

Don't worry too much about your age -- I am not looking for a "date" or anything like that!  I just want to communicate with thinking folks and I enjoy using my email.  Wow!  LA seems so very far away!  I do have a relative in the San Diego suburbs, but that's about as close as I can get.  I was in LA a few years ago on business, but I only saw the airport area.  Other than that, the only West Coast experiences that I've had have been in San Francisco and Seattle.

I can't imagine living another ten years, but you never know.  I am still pretty healthy and height/weight proportional.  Social Security plans on me making it to age 84. - Alan

Take care.  Email me back if you want to.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hello, Alan,

I, too, am not looking for "dates." I would enjoy touching bases with you. Fire away any questions that come to mind. I will happily respond.

Meanwhile, have a good evening. Looking forward to your next post.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Dita,

I was out for awhile for dinner.  We had a storm and now we have a beautiful rainbow in the eastern sky.  What should ask you ?  Well, first, where are you from originally?  Second, it seems that you have a rather unusual name.  Not that there's anything wrong with it!  I just can't ever remember encountering it before in my 66 years.  Now, just to sort of be even, I'll tell you how I got my first name.  My mother used to teach school for awhile and she told me that she named me "Alan" because it was the only name that she could think of that didn't remind her of some misbehaved brat that she had had to deal with at some time or another. -Alan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would hazard a guess that you live in or somewhere near Mt. Vernon, Illinois.  I have a relative there -- a grandson who wrks at a tire factory.  If not Mount Vernon, then I would guess Effingham.  Am I close?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well, I was born in Champagin-Urbana, Illinois and grew up in Rantoul, so we have yet another thing in common!  I know Illnois pretty well.  My eldest daughter lives in Marion in southern Illinois and my sister lives on a farm near Vienna, if you know where that is.  If you told me what town you are in or near six hours or so south of Chicago, I would probably have a decent idea where you are.  When I go up to Chicago in September, I will take AMTRAK from Memphis (I've been here for forty years) to Marion and then ride up I-57 with my eldest daughter and one of my grandaughters who is also going.  Now since being in Memphis I have been a lot of things in my career, but I suppose that the most glorious were manager of economic development for city and county government, director of government affairs and lobbyist for the chamber of commerce, and executive director for a not-for-profit organization.  Boy, I could tell some stories, but I'll spare you!  Now, I got my German shepherd when she was just a puppy from a State trooper/breeder in 

Mississippi near Jackson.  Her name is Gracie.  She is kind of big.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Indeed, perhaps there is a problem with this website. I had no luck before either.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for your response. At least somebody besides me might care!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You are very welcome.

I forgot to mention that I had a dozen or so "kudos" when I first posted, but there was no interest from anyone to continue. If you wish to know anything about me you'd need to dig through the postings some couple of years back. I like how you introduced yourself. I enjoy writing, so should you find anything interesting about me I am amenable to the exchange of thoughts and life's experiences. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am glad to exchange communications with you -- at least for awhile.  But I am clueless as to how to navigate this site (if it is even legit -- I just called AARP again and they told me that they don't have any such a website; to be sure they gave me the phone number for the AARP Foundation, but I can't call them until tomorrow because they are only open during regular business hours).  Also, I have no idea how to check your posts from a couple of years ago, so I know nothing absolutely about you.  If you don't mind, please tell me a little, and start with where are you.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Alan

I was reading over your message again ......why are you jaded? 

Your  NEw Penpal Friend

Jane

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Jane,

I am having trouble with this website, which is why I want you to send me your email.  Don't worry.  I think its pretty safe.  Somebody else did and as far as I know nothing bad came of it.  Thanks! - Alan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I think this website may be illegitimate/some kind of scam. I called AARP today and they disavowed any knowledge of its existence!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Alan

How are you? Your email was great! You sound like a wonderufl person to be my new penpal. I am quite lonely in the world.these days, but you are going to help me lsssen thosue feelings. . I am here in the Georgia area ni which I will be responding.

A bit about me.. working lady in helathcare field with a master degree, big reader of novels,, enjoy drama movies, the NPR radio and ;ove dogs.  I am over age of 62 years old,and raised 3 grown children hen I was married..A  daughter in  Washngton  DC just graduated wtih a BA degree from George mason University, a son in Army 4 years in California and another son who is married in Baotn Ruge Louisana .. 

Ok your turn to email me back

Jane S

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Jane, 

Thank you for the compliment and for the post.  Please send me your email address and I will email you right back.  I promise!  -Alan.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Alan

I just happen to check cthe website. [private email address removed to protect your online safety]

Thank you

Jane

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Jane,

Did you get the email that I sent you? I sent it about two or three hours ago. - Alan

0 Kudos

Hello everyone.

AARP recommends that you do not publish personal details or information that may compromise your personal privacy in public view on ANY community.

If people wish to exchange details via AARP please use the Private Messaging function of this community by selecting the userID of the person you wish to contact, and then selecting the send the "send this user a private message" in the Contact Me function on the right of the window:

Annotation 2019-08-11 154330.png

We remind people to always be careful even when sharing details.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Does anybody care!?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Good morning, Chris

Tickled pink to hear from someone. Thank you.

A bit of background: I am 74, twice widowed, no kids. I gave up pooches - as I preferred 40+ lbs, any breed. Shortly after my last one died, I had to take care of my bed-ridden mom; now gone 5 yrs at ripe age of 95-1/2, so had no chance to replace. Now reduced to kitties; have two which some horrible human dumped in my front yard (barely weaned babies) 7 and 3 years ago respectively.

Is it possible to bypass the AARP "crowds" by direct email? I'll be happy to provide mine.

If you are interested, please let me know.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Dita

Periodic Contributor

Hi, Dita,

This is Merrilly.  I just read another of your posts and we have a awful lot in common.  I'd like to be your penpal if you would like to be mine.  Tell me and I'll supply my email and you can supply yours so we can write privately.

Merrilly

0 Kudos