Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

PENPALS

Please post a reply if you would like to be penpals.

thank-you-glitters-34.gif

Contributor

HI, I hope your grandaughter gets through the surgery well.I did not say where I am near but it is in illinois about 6 hours south of Chicago.I just bought a off grid tiny washer and dryer,lol.I am not sure when i will be off grid but I am working towards it.I get a few things at a time to take me in that direction.I have a male shepard and a golden pyreness.All my animals are rescues as that is what I believe in.I do not comment  on religion but I believe if I can follow the ten commandments my life is not wasted.I am a good person and try to do whats right by others but have grown careful in my later years bieng as I learned much in my younger years.I am off for two nights and that is why I am on the internet.I love pentrist and looking for my permanent nesting place.My home is almost paid for so in a few years I hope to sell and move on to my tiny off grid life.Pam

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Pam,

Well, I tried to take a nap not long ago (one of the many prviledges of being retired), but I couldn't fall asleep because of the noise of buzz saws from across the street where they are taking down an older mature tree.  I told you that I love trees.  Some folks may laugh if they want at my sensitivity, but I just couldn't stand to listen to the sounds of it being stripped and killed!  So I got back up and turned on the television and ate some crackers with Gracie.  - Alan

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi,I am surrounded by trees so I understand your concern.I am originally from st.clair county but reside in clinton county.I was outside having a fire before coming in and getting to this post.I love to sit by a fire.I find peace of mind just sitting watching the flames and no I am not a pyro,lol.I love the outdoors and get piece of mind when I feel life is overwhelming me by sitting amoung the trees.Nature is a calming experience but gets lost by the wayside.I am signing off for the night as I return to work tomorrow.I to take naps on my days off as it is a necessary part of life for us older folks,lol.I do not do social media either because I tried it and people get silly with how much they post and it has so much drama that I deleted it.I do have a cell phone but no house phone,Goodnight Mr. Memphis

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Pam,

You say that you are originally from St Clair County.  Would that be Metro East, near St. Louis?  I used to live in Edwardsvile for awhile, in Madison County, which I think is next to St. Clair County, though I might be mistaken.  Its been a long time ago.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Pam,

There seems to be some confusion here about who is replying to who.  I suppose that is to be expected at our age! LOL!  It has been raining and storming like crazy this morning, with plenty of thunder and lightning.  The poor, lonely tree they began to take down across the street yestetrday afternoon still stands bereft of all its green leaves and branches soaking and suffering in the rain.  I suppose that its still alive, but hurting terribly. Yes, some may laugh and call me an old hippie, but it really bothers me.  Where I grew up was like a treeless suburb, and we would have given practically anything for just one mature shade tree to sit and rest under in the hot summer sun.  I suppose the heartless tree killers were planning on returning today to finish their job but the rain has ruined their plans, so the poor tree has to stand alone and barren yet another day and night suffering.  So sad and terrible.

Gracie wanted to go out like she usually does this morning -- she is typically very consentious about such things.  But the hard rain was just too much.  I told her that maybe we could try again later.

Now, call me lazy if you want, but its the way of Memphis and the deep South -- I have a yard man and a housekeeper! - Alan   

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Dita,

My last post addressed "dear Pam" was really meant for you. - Alan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Dita,

You are originally from Europe you say.  Well, that explains your unusual first name (I like it!).

I thought of a few more things to say since my last post.  Here they are.  Now when I was a little boy, I watched a lot of cowboy shows.  Indeed, cowboy shows dominated TV in those days (the 1950s and early 1960s -- I couldn't begin to name them all).  I idolized Roy Rogers and used to call the little girl down the way that I played with everyday "Dale".  I used to wear a macho cowboy hat and a badge and carry a play gun and wear cowboy boots.  I loved firecrackers and gasline.  But I'm not a little boy any more!  I grew up and put aside childish things.  I don't drive loud cars anymore with glass-packs.  I don't have to be a teenage narcisisst anymore trying to make noise like a bigfoot pounding on a log to attract attention!  Do you understand what I am trying to con   vey?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, Alan...

Anyone who does not have the "herd" mentality is an outlier in my book.

In the email about my name I told you very specifically which country I am from. I suppose you missed it. Oh, well...

There was no TV in Europe when I was a kid. Lucky to just have a radio. But I read (translations, of course) books by James Fenimore Cooper - The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Leather Stocking, and similar stories.

I saw my first TV when I was 16 on arrival in the US. Fell in love with shows like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the Big Valley, etc. In fact, that's pretty much how I was learning English.

These days I don't watch much TV or surf the internet; there is so much stupidity and garbage there. Instead I am continuing with how I grew up - reading and reading and reading. Rarely do I read fiction. But I gobble up biographies, memoirs and history. One can learn a lot from them for pretty much any period of recorded history.

Please, write again,

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Dita,

Thank you for your latest email.  And I found you email in which you told me that you were originally from Vienna, Austria.  Wow!  A magical place of music and art -- the first thing that I thought of was Mozart.  I would think that Vienna would be a very hard act to follow!  I can't think of any place in the US that could compare.

Yes, I too have read all of the Leatherstocking Tales.  My father was quite a "Pathfinder".  I did not tell you about his WW II wound.  He was shot in the foot.  They told him that he would never walk again and they wanted to amputate, but he wouldn't let them.  He spent many weeks in hospitals in France and England and returned to the US on the Queen Mary.  Here, he was on crutches for six months and suffered quite a bit from "shell shock".  My beloved Aunt (she passed in 2002) said that he was never the same when he came back from the War.  But he took me hiking in the woods and bluffs all over southern Illinois when I was a boy.  He was a really good man.  He fully recovered and he barely even limped.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes, indeed, Vienna and Austria are hard acts to follow. When I first came to Los Angeles I found it to be a cultural desert, hell bent on everything movies and nothing else. In many ways it still lacks in culture, the kind I grew up in. But with passage of time one tends to forget...

Everyone who's been in a war - WWII, Korea, Vietnam - suffered from PTSD. Only back in the day they didn't call it that.

I told you I'm a widow - WestPac to be specific - my husband was in the Navy; got killed while on river patrol in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. I was 29 then, and never remarried. I have no family left. Mother passed away in my house in 2013 at the age of 95-1/2.

Being curious - why do you keep writing about WWII? Recalling my childhood, that period is not particularly dear to my heart.

So, why do you want a pen pal?

Have a good weekend. Oh, lest I forget. Did you consider what I said about exchanging email addresses? Do let me know.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Dita,

I am afraid that most of this country is, as you say, a "cultural wasteland".  It is difficult to find anybody that can carry on a meaningful conversation about anything beyond growing grass, making money, sports, or trivia.

I didn't mean to create the impression that I am somehow hung up on WW II.  I am not.  Its just that I have been thinking about it and my father's role in it a lot lately.  I wasn't even born until 1952. 

No I remember the Vietnam days pretty well.  I was prime time age to get drafted and I can remember watching them draw ping pong balls with numbers on them for draft numbers on TV with my girlfriend.  My birthday is in December, so it seemed like all the "good" higher numbers were long gone by the time they got around to my month, but nope!  My poor girlfriend was so happy when she heard my number called.  I think that it was 363, or something like that.  Anyway, I used to tell people that the only contest that I ever won in my life (and it was the one that really counted!)was the draft lottery.  I remember friends going to Canada.  I remember student deferments.  I remember one friend whose number was 18 but his daddy was rich and on the local draft board, and he never had to go.  Of course, if you were low-ec or minoirty, you were godd as gone.  Pathetic!

Hey, you can have my email if you want it.  How should I give it to you?  If I put it on here, won't everybody and their dog see it? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

A good Saturday morning, Alan,

Re: email - that is fairly safe unless you have many followers who read each other's responses to your posts.

You didn't say why you want a pen pal.

A book I read not so long ago was about a pen pal relationship of George Bernard Shaw with a museum curator and a cloistered nun; it lasted several decades until their respective deaths. Three people with very divergent lifestyles and interests. Their letters narrating their activities and experiences are very thought provoking, enlightening even. Of course, back then the only way to communicate was via what is now known as "snail mail," and letters were written in long hand.

I remember the days before all the social media and instant communication - I have none of those. I wrote long letters to friends, and awaited with great anticipation their responses.

Instant communication is shallow; it provokes no thought. Besides, what  momentous news does one convey texting every five minutes?

Enough said. [private email address removed to protect your online safety]

Have a great day/weekend...

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Pam,

There seems to be some confusion on here regarding who various messages are being sent to.  Oh well, I suppose that's to be expected at our age!  At any rate, it is really raining and storming here this morning.  The poor, forlorn tree they were so cruelly taking down across the street yesterday stands soaking wet barren of all its leaves and branches.  I suppose that its still alive, but suffering terribly in its treelike way.  I imagine that the men had knocked off work yesterday with the growing darkness and were planning to come finish the job today, but no dice with all this rain and lightening and thunder, so I guess the poor, lonely tree gets to stand alone for another day and night in pain.  Call me silly or an old hippie if you like, but that's the way I feel.  I grew up in a suburban setting where we would have given anything for a nice mature shade tree to sit under!

It is raining so hard that Gracie wouldn't even go out this morning,  She is usually very concientious about such things.  Well, I told her, maybe we can try again later.  Call me lazy if you want, but I really don't care.  It's the way of the South!  I have a yard man and a housekeeper!   

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Alan,

In reading your emails I feel you have several pen pals; perhaps even confuse locations and what you write to whom.

It doesn't matter to me how many pen pals you have, I only ask that you, please, are more attentive when reading your emails, otherwise we will be doing "ring around the rosie" with repetitive information. OK? I dislike repetition because it does not advance a story.

Thank you.

Dita

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hello, Alan...

I trust you and Gracie eventually got to have a walkabout.

Glad to read you like nature. I live in a "forest," that is, pine trees (6) I planted in the front yard as 12" saplings for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics (there was a big movement to beautify the city and environs for the occasion). They are now close to 50' tall and provide nice shade keeping the old house cool since I have no A/C. When it rains I come out into the yard, close my eyes and make believe I am in nature far away from civilization. When it's really hot they shed a lot of needles. They also produce pine cones. I gather them for kindling in my fireplace in winter. Makes the house smell good.

I hope my writing that I am ex-European didn't put you off.

Have a nice day.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Dita,

You say you are originally from Europe.  From what part?  What country?  What city?  There is no right or wrong answer as far as I am concerned!

My father (he passed in 1977) fought in WW ll.  He was a radio man in the ill-fated 28th Infantry Division. Now, we are not absolutely positive, but we are pretty sure that he served in the 112th Battallion, which occuppied the little German village of Schimdt in the Huertgen Forest debacle for about two weeks before they had to retreat (run away, more or less).  I can't imagine the hell the must have endured -- being shot at and under almost constant accurate artillery fire (I am told that the ten-part TV series "Band of Brothers" may best do it justice).  I have often wondered how those guys back then could have handled it;  I could hardly even bear up under three days of Boy Scouts winter camp!  Their causulty rate was about 75% I have read.  A 10% rate is considered pretty bad.  So they shipped them off to the Ardennes to rest and refit. LOL!  A nice quiet place in the woods.  Right where the famed Battle of the Bulge started!  Their causulty rate there was 93%.and, for all practical purposes, the 28th (which had been the only American division to march under the Arch of Triumph at the Liberation of Paris -- my father was there -- an elderly Frenchman kissed him) was wounded  between those bloody engagements near the borders of Luxemberg, Belgium, France, and Germany (we're not exactly sure where) and earned a Purple Heart and Bronze Star.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, Alan...

I lived through the aftermath of WWII. It was not pretty or easy by any means.

You are revealing a great deal of personal information about your family. Lest you forget, this is a public forum and many people view the posts. I am not sure this is good. It has to do with privacy and trust.

Perhaps we can exchange email addresses, if you are amenable. It would be far easier to communicate. Do let me know.

To answer your question, I am from the capitol city of Austria - Vienna.

Let me know what you decide.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Dita,

I do not recall receiving any email or communication from you regarding you being an ex-European, but I think that that is absolutely intriguing!  I wonder from what part of Europe you are from?  A friend of mine who lives near here and who is orginally from Morrocco tells me that I am more European than American.  I think maybe so, at least culturally.  In my earlier introduction (I don't know if you saw it or not), I said that I was kind of an " outlier".  All my life, ever since I was even a kid, I have always felt like I didn't really fit in very well.  My parents were  "outliers" too.  They were both highly educated and very talented, as were my siblings.  We were oddballs I suppose, misfits.  Please give me a chance!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It is hot, about 94 degrees F, so I filled up Gracie's little pink kiddie pool and she went "swimming".  She loves to cool off in the water.  Its sunny but kin of hazy/humid and the forecasters tell us that we have a 50 percent chance of rain.  More rain tomorrow.  Hope that you're well.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi, Yes it is hot here and humid.I also have a pool for my dog.He gets in it and tries to roll around but as it is a wading pool I fear he is to big.Next year I will get him a bigger size.I am well just bored today as I am used to working and the past two days I have been off,I hired out my grass this year as it is getting to be to much and I do not like the heat.I am a spring and fall kinda person,lol.I love the snow but find as I get older the cold seems to get to me more.I hope all goes well in Chicago for your grandaughter.I am a very healthy person and take no meds of any kind.I feel very blessed.I fell down the steps and hurt my shoulder  and was out of work for 6 weeks and had to take therapy.Not bad for the first time in my life at age 59.I am now 60 and watch myself a little more closely so as not to repeat that mistake.I do take wheatgrass,spiriluna and collegen everyday and feel that is enough to keep me going.I also take tumeric and hemp oil if I have it on hand.I feel pretty good 99% of the time and am happy.A person cannot ask for more really,lol.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Pamela, Iโ€™v Had a long day. Started with the Gym then the market and trying to get some kind of food into my body. I wasnโ€™t alone so I had to consider other people. I was just happy to be able to get whatever was needed.   Dropped that person and went to the meeting and I was very hyper so I was agitated the whole time. 5:30-7pm. But I am home and relaxing.   Before I left my house this morning I made a pattern for bags and I cut out 3 bags and will sew it together tomorrow.  Relax with a free mind. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, Allan...

Am not sure whom you addressed your doggie/weather message to. Very considerate of you to get a "swimming pool" for your German shepherd in this horrid weather.

I live in a Los Angeles suburb which is presently undergoing gentrification and produces mountains of dust. For the past two-three weeks we've had 105+ in the shade with nighttime around 70+. One can get acclimated, but it's difficult.  As much as I enjoyed your introduction I realize that I am just too old for you - 10 years your senior and a childless widow, though love animals. Had I been younger perhaps we could have exchanged interesting emails.

In the meanwhile, keep your chin up, all is not lost yet. Best to you and yours.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Dita,

Don't worry too much about your age -- I am not looking for a "date" or anything like that!  I just want to communicate with thinking folks and I enjoy using my email.  Wow!  LA seems so very far away!  I do have a relative in the San Diego suburbs, but that's about as close as I can get.  I was in LA a few years ago on business, but I only saw the airport area.  Other than that, the only West Coast experiences that I've had have been in San Francisco and Seattle.

I can't imagine living another ten years, but you never know.  I am still pretty healthy and height/weight proportional.  Social Security plans on me making it to age 84. - Alan

Take care.  Email me back if you want to.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hello, Alan,

I, too, am not looking for "dates." I would enjoy touching bases with you. Fire away any questions that come to mind. I will happily respond.

Meanwhile, have a good evening. Looking forward to your next post.

Dita

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Dita,

I was out for awhile for dinner.  We had a storm and now we have a beautiful rainbow in the eastern sky.  What should ask you ?  Well, first, where are you from originally?  Second, it seems that you have a rather unusual name.  Not that there's anything wrong with it!  I just can't ever remember encountering it before in my 66 years.  Now, just to sort of be even, I'll tell you how I got my first name.  My mother used to teach school for awhile and she told me that she named me "Alan" because it was the only name that she could think of that didn't remind her of some misbehaved brat that she had had to deal with at some time or another. -Alan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would hazard a guess that you live in or somewhere near Mt. Vernon, Illinois.  I have a relative there -- a grandson who wrks at a tire factory.  If not Mount Vernon, then I would guess Effingham.  Am I close?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well, I was born in Champagin-Urbana, Illinois and grew up in Rantoul, so we have yet another thing in common!  I know Illnois pretty well.  My eldest daughter lives in Marion in southern Illinois and my sister lives on a farm near Vienna, if you know where that is.  If you told me what town you are in or near six hours or so south of Chicago, I would probably have a decent idea where you are.  When I go up to Chicago in September, I will take AMTRAK from Memphis (I've been here for forty years) to Marion and then ride up I-57 with my eldest daughter and one of my grandaughters who is also going.  Now since being in Memphis I have been a lot of things in my career, but I suppose that the most glorious were manager of economic development for city and county government, director of government affairs and lobbyist for the chamber of commerce, and executive director for a not-for-profit organization.  Boy, I could tell some stories, but I'll spare you!  Now, I got my German shepherd when she was just a puppy from a State trooper/breeder in 

Mississippi near Jackson.  Her name is Gracie.  She is kind of big.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Indeed, perhaps there is a problem with this website. I had no luck before either.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for your response. At least somebody besides me might care!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You are very welcome.

I forgot to mention that I had a dozen or so "kudos" when I first posted, but there was no interest from anyone to continue. If you wish to know anything about me you'd need to dig through the postings some couple of years back. I like how you introduced yourself. I enjoy writing, so should you find anything interesting about me I am amenable to the exchange of thoughts and life's experiences. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP