Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Love Limericks

Began writing them in May 2021, and never stopped. If you enjoy reading and/or writing them, here's a forum for you.  I'll pop in periodically to add mine.  Would love to see people contribute.

My husband comes running upset.

By something he read, I can bet.

Seems his shirts are passe,

Toss Hawaiians away.

Or wear at the beach with Annette. *

*Annette Funicello & Frankie Avalon, those crazy kids.

"Sweet" Aunt Myrtle again with re-gift.

A large turtle, this time, I'm so miffed.

It's not running away.

How far could it stray?

Was bamboozled, just face it, got stiffed.

I feel an immense agitation,

In generalized terms, complication.

It's a dare from a guy,

I'd wing walk, he'd fly.

My fear, premature debarkation.

Social Butterfly

@ciptra38  Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  Funny concept and rhyming great.  Lines 3 and 4  are  excellent. A few tweaks for the rhythm to really  "flow".

Went shopping, bought fanciful gown.

To wear at the gala in town.

Was eyed with disdain.

By a snob with champagne.

Who scolded, "You dress like a clown."

or

Who asked, why I dressed like a clown.

The rhythm should be a pattern of a stressed syllable, two unstressed, then stressed syllable.  What helps me, is to check on Merriam-webster.com/dictionary.  I use that site so often, all I have to type now is ME, and I'm there.  The fifth line had two stressed words ( dress and down ) together, so I changed it.

Also, lines 1,2, and 5 should have 7-10 syllables and lines 3 and 4 have 5-7.  But, those lines don't need to be the same number of syllables. i.e  Line 1 could be 9 and line 2 could be 8 syllables. As long as both of those line are between 7-10 syllables, and they flow well. 

You are doing great!

Conversationalist

Only thing is I actually did mean to say 'dress down' - meaning not dressy enough.  Thanks so much for all your tips❣️  - am going to pen more of them today.  I find that when I don't think too much & spew whatever comes to mind, it works better lol!

Social Butterfly

@ciptra38 I totally get it.  The last line could be rewritten:

Who scolded, "You're dressing too down."

Conversationalist

Thanks Rhyme!  -just wrote that down, because this is so fun - love words!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes 

A "Limerick about love" I could write,

about my wife, my kids, I might,

Then I read all of your rhymes,

you "love Limericks", I did find,

my mistake, think it must be my sight.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 Hi!  Thank you for contributing your limerick.

Well it's day 9 of our COVID adventure, and feel fine now, except for some lingering fatigue.  My husband's daughter was out for a visit from Colorado. She works as a medical assistant for home visits ( mostly COVID cases ) and didn't know she  had COVID and was contagious.  Lucky us! Looking forward to getting back in the world soon.  Grocery shopping, if nothing else.  Frig nearly cleaned out.

I'm on AARP a bit more sporadic these days, but decided to start another spot for limericks.

How are you and your family doing?  Rhymes

Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes 

Wow, I'm so glad that you are all doing well! 9 days-yikes! Delta is pretty contagious. One of our grandkids caught Covid from school but he's doing better now too, thankfully! We are getting our boosters in a few days. My wife and I are doing great, thanks. 

I, too, haven't been on very often lately. Some topics have gotten stale, others are lacking in participation. It was great to see that Limerick topic you posted and I thank you for that. I hope to see more! I wish you all a speedy recovery-and get that frig filled lol! Stay healthy, Steve

Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 Thank you for the well wishes. A nap every few days, keeps the fatigue away.  It's amazing how filling a frig with milk, yogurt, bread, cheese and eggs, can warm a girl's heart.😃

Will hear results from latest limerick contest today.  My goal is to at least get an honorable mention by the end of December.  That makes at least five more contests to enter.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes Best of luck today! You create many great limericks!

Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29  No wins for me. But I'll share three.

Looks like Captain T. Kirk has a place.

Well Shatner, the man in this case.

Some serious bread,

That William has spread.

He's prospered, now conquering space.

Doc says, "Not eating what's right."

The weight has ballooned out of sight."

"The solution," I hissed.

As my eyes start to mist.

"I'll work on increasing my height."

It's progressively coming to light.

This marriage to Dwight is not right.

He's extremely well-bred.

But as far as his head.

It hovers two feet past my height.

Conversationalist

That is awesome Steve!  You're VERY good at this!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

oops wrong person - meant Rhyme, but postman also!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes 

Wow, you should have won something! I really liked the first two. Great job once again. It's nice to have some positive posts, especially your limericks, in these forums. Thank you!

Social Butterfly

Thx Steve, Appreciate that.

Conversationalist

Okay:  There was a young man from France

Who always had ants in his pants

But he didn't mind

'Cause he did find

They made him be able to dance!            What do ya think Rhyme lol?

Social Butterfly

@ciptra38 Clever and funny rhyme!  I recently learned about  limerick rhythm  from a writer, who pointed it out to me.  Just makes for better flow. It involves three stressed syllables in lines 1,2 and 5 and two stressed syllables in lines 3 and 4. I bolded the stressed syllables in a little rewrite.

A man who was living in France.

Had always had ants in his pants.

The man did not mind,

It helped him to find.

He could quickly get loose and then dance.

I think you're a natural!  Keep writing!

Conversationalist

Gotcha!  Thanks Rhyme❣   - didn't know that, and it does flow better!  This is fun & will try to come up with another, in better form.

Social Butterfly

@ciptra38  Look forward to it!  One of the best tools I've found for writing limericks is Rhyme zone. Not only can you find great rhyming lists, but  their thesaurus can filtering by syllable choice.

Conversationalist

Great tip, thanks❣️

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Rhyme - These are awesome!!  -trying to think one up - lol!

Social Butterfly

Thx @ciptra38 .  It's was a blast to write them!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

It really is fun, especially since I have a word fetish lol!

Social Butterfly

@ciptra38 That's awesome.  I've never been a particularly good speller.  But I think I'm improving as I hunt for interesting words to use on rhyme zone to complete my limericks. Nice bonus for me! Or nice dividend, perk, incentive, benefit . . . also, limerick writing encourages the silly, inventive, absurd, ridiculous and outrageous.  The one thing I don't do, that many limerick writers do, is write some pretty dirty prose. I might drift into PG-13 territory.

Conversationalist

My introduction to limericks was when I was a kid and found a copy of this book...

3048167767.jpg

...in our cellar, in a little storage cabinet next to the washer & dryer.

The limericks inside were sort of cheeky and vaguely risqué as I recall (so there was none featuring a gentleman from a small island off Cape Cod). 

How did it end up where I found it? No idea. Mom's thought process was more straight-forward than intellectual, so if she was given a book titled "Laundered Limericks" in a Secret Santa gift exchange, say, she may have decided the most appropriate place to keep it was by the Maytag. I suppose 8-year-old me could have asked her, but I thought I'd stumbled onto something, ooh!, forbidden!

Social Butterfly

@AvocadoDog  Are you airing your laundry? 😄 You just left that opportunity hanging. Would love to hear more from the book. Rhymes

Conversationalist

I probably have a copy of it somewhere; if I can dig it up I'll transcribe a few of the less-naughty limericks – and none of them were too naughty.

(That photo was an image of it I found online.)

Social Butterfly

@AvocadoDog  I would love that!  Thank you!   I've set up two new sites.  One is called "beginning limericks" where you submit a limerick, and can discuss it or revamp it.  Then "completed limericks" that will just list limericks.  With your clever mind, I bet you could come up with some pretty funny stuff.

Conversationalist

- interesting!  -never seen dirty limericks, but I'm with you & fine with silly, absurd, ridiculous & inventive!

Social Butterfly

@ciptra38  Sadly most limericks are.  I'm no prude, but a lot of limericks make me go yuck when dirty.  If it's dirty, at least make it humorous.  

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

- trying to think up more...!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP