Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD

I believe that many of us like the idea of being self sufficient and independent to what ever extent we can, and this is particularly true as we age. At my age of 84 with a few physical problems I can speak with authority about this. I sincerely believe that my basic computer knowledge and use along with a I Phone has enabled me to maintain my independence far better than most of my peer group and maintain a good quality of life. No one had to force me to give up driving two years ago, I made that decision my self and sold my car in 24 hours for a good price and then called and cancelled my auto insurance and started using UBER. I can go where ever I want when ever I want and not be DEPENDENT on anyone and believe it or not the cost of the 175 odd UBER TRIPS over the past two years is about equal to what I was paying for my auto insurance. I live in a one bedroom, living room, one bath, kitchenette apartment at a quality ASSISTED LIVING facility. Prior to voluntarily re-locating to this facility I lived in a two bedroom two bath apartment and did all my own cooking and cleaning. I have access to three Gourmet quality meals per day in a lovely dining room and only keep my favorite wines and snacks in my kitchenette. I receive several items each week delivered to my door via AMAZON PRIME. They are items that I could purchase locally, but why? A good price and convenience via AMAZON is hard to beat.
Looking at my fellow residents is what prompted me to write this SMUG thread because I see how dependent many of them are on care takers, friends and family for many things they could do for them selves IF they ONLY had some level of tech knowledge.
I realize that there may be a time that I will need all the features and services of ASSISTED LIVING, but as long as I can still boogie around with my walker, feed, bathe and dress myself I will remain independent.

Lon
Regular Contributor

Good for you!!! My mother is 90 and she still drives. You can't tell her nothing. She has a walker and a cane. I am 69 soon to be 70 and I plan to keep it moving too. The number doesn't define you it's your attitude. I walk (up to 3 miles), I dance constantly and I try to do stuff daily. What age has to do with it.........NOTHING!!!    KEEP IT MOVING AND RIDE IT TIL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!!

Conversationalist

God bless you!!! I'm not quite your age yet but I pray I can manage alone and not be a burden to my family.  I love your contagious spirit!!!

Rebecca
Recognized Social Butterfly

You are my hero! Your upbeat attitude is life enhancing.

schlomo
Regular Contributor

Kudos to you!  You are amazing and an inspiration to all of us "baby seniors"!

Barbara

Conversationalist

I love your expression "baby senior"!!! I don't know why but I couldn't wait to turn 70, which is my age now!

Rebecca
Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I really enjoyed your article Lon.  I am now 90 and know that one day I will need some kind of assisted living.  Right now I still live in my own house, shop and prepare my own food and do two miles on my Nordic Track every day.  

I am curious as to why you gave up your driving license.  I still drive but not to too many places.  For instance, the Shop-Rite, Walmart's, the local post office, drug store, etc.  I cook my own meals and enjoy them.  I am sort of a health food person.  I do not use salt or sugar in anything and take lots of vitamins.  I do two miles on my NordicTrack every day.  I do get to church every Sunday and thank God for all my blessings.  I do have family close by and visit them often.  I am realistic enough to know that I too will need some kind of assistance soon but until that time I like being able to do what I want when I want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

"...what age you have to turn your driver's license in?"?  I'm surprised you'd ask such a question. Aren't older people more concerned about ageism? To me, that's like asking, "At what age do you have to turn in your tree climbing license?". I'd say at whatever age you can't do it anymore. It ought to be more of a qualified/competent thing.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Wow wow

I so needed this

Wow What great examples and encouragement you all are

I'm soon to be 61 so as another said i'm a baby senior ....but i've really struggled to fight Isolation and loneliness & depression these last 5 years with all the losses that have happened ....BUT 

You all INSPIRE me Thanks so much for sharing and I'm so grateful to have found this thread tonight....

Thanks a million!

This community has been/ is a lifesaver 

Have a beautiful week You all rock..... I'm still kicking & trying & as another said.... it's not over till it's over.... Yippie 

Ginger : )

Retired Community Manager

Thank you for your contribution, Ginger (@gm5271), we're so glad you're here!!

Regular Contributor

I feel the same way.  I live in an independent living apartment building but because a lot of the people who live here came directly from the hospital when they moved in, we ended up getting a nursing office that offers assistance with household chores but we are not an assisted living facility.  If we have surgery, they can help to set up things for when we return home.  It is great to have when you need it but I have to say that I try not to have them do it for me but when I have things I cannot do like reach my top shelves, it is great.  I still do my own housework and laundry and do not want to have to be at home for someone else to do it for me. lol.  I like my independence.

Bronze Conversationalist

Your attitude is wonderful, and I believe it's one of the reasons you are happy and independant in your life! I applaud you and hope that when the time comes that I should give up driving, that I will know it, and not fight it. Shortly I will either buy out my 2015 Prius C lease, or turn the car in and lease another. I still really love driving. 

I found your living situation very interesting as I currently live in an apartment that I used to share with my sons, close to 20 years ago. I have looked at alternative styles of living but for now, this place still works for me.

The one thing in my retirement that I need to change, is that most of my friends and acquaintenances still work full time and so Ineed to broaden my horizons a bit. If you have any suggestions, please share.You don't sound smug to me, but savvy.

Off to church shortly, but I enjoyed reading your views.

Sir Granny Tracy
Contributor

I'm a 67 year-old, retired male, and am exceedingly fortunate to be in good health. I've always been athletically active. I still run competitively logging 40-60 mile training weeks & 5K-to-Half Marathon racing. *IMPORTANT: My wife -- also 67 years-old and healthy -- trains the same. We include 3-days of weight workouts, and walk our dog daily. Regarding the financial front, we've always been savers/investors, are on the same wave-length, and carry little-to-no debt. Therefore, we're blessed to be physically and financially independent (*as always, one-size doesn't fit all). Lastly, we wish everyone good health, happiness, and prosperity.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I am pushing 68, could have taken a little bit better care of myself but still up for a challenge. Just got back from Italy where I studied Italian culture for 8 credit hours from a university here in my state. Four weeks of heat. It was physically daunting. No A/C. Meals were 5 flights up. Old cobble stones challenging my knees and ankles. I knew that there was no major medical facility near by... I was shaken but, never missed a class; never late. I went on every field trip. 

I was definitely the oldest person there.

The point that I want to make is this: If we are lucky we are going to LIVE!! The operative in growing older is GROWING. We must continue to challenge our minds and bodies daily. Some challenges and changes are going to come and won’t be welcome, however, we must commit to growing. Meet new people, search for new knowledge. It helps with the pain management, believe me. 

Lon, you are tough, you should be proud! You have learned new technologies and let them assist you in adapting..Buona Fortuna!

Regular Contributor

I have always been independent so that is not a stretch for me. Growing old is a new experience. I see this new experience as no big deal. It aint over til its over. I have had health scares and I have been sick but I keep looking forward. I dance, I do art, I sew and I do more things that make me happy. I also stay away from people who sing the blues and not in an entertaining way. It is easy to sit around and complain but it is hard to get off your duff and do something about it.....I don't have that problem because if my health declines and I am bed challenged, I'm still riding this life til the wheels fall off......64 soon to be 65 and I ain't done yet.......Smiley LOL

Contributor

I think its wonderful so many in their 80's are able to take care of themselves. I am in that group.  I love being told how young I look. And..I do.   Fortunate!  I have long blonde hair  still have a sexy figure  love to dance   play cards  exercise   and  do all the things I did when I was 20.  

Good genes.   I live with my best friend Lily  she  is a beautiful cat.  

I still go out with male friends    and women     enjoy plays  movies concerts   .Still drive at nite. I know I am fortunate  and I count my blessings.  My sister is  5 years older  than I   and is looking for a boyfriend??   (haha)  why not-   She is really gorgeous.

Trusted Contributor

I imagine we all want to remain independent and live full and productive lives as seniors. Personally I never want to burden another family member or my children, either financially or as a caregiver. And then there’s the dreaded isolation factor ... these things all need serious thought and my determination today could change if some event sets things in a downward spiral - Lordy! I guess, live for today but plan for future scenarios is my motto. 

Regular Social Butterfly

Becoming independant is something we do while young. Getting old is when you realize that it will never happen.

Contributor

My beautiful husband (86) broke his hip last January 31, had surgery February 1, and moved to rehab on the 4th. Within the first 2 weeks he got bedsores and complained about the food. I told them I was taking him home on March 23rd. They said that I wouldn’t be able to take care of him. When he got home he could only stand a bit. We got rid of the wheelchair and the hospital bed the first of June. During the middle of July he started driving himself to dialysis and beyond. He’s considered a walking miracle. We have decided that we will have to be carried out of our 2 story home. We don’t want to go to assisted living if at all possible. Besides we wouldn’t be able to afford it. I am so thankful that my best friend husband pulled through. It was a possibility that he wouldn’t. We certainly will consider Uber when the time comes. Thank you for your information regarding Uber. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I am what I call a "baby senior."  I'm just 62.  But I am so encouraged by all of my fellow seniors here.  Your vitality and will to live as fully and as long as you can is truly inspiring.  Thank you all for sharing.Heart

Regular Contributor

I applaud you for taking charge and getting him out of there!  Medicare has to start coming up with ways to help people get back home.  Sometimes they absolutely will not let a person go home.  We have to change that.  Home heals!  I bet you would have done a better job right from the get-go!

Regular Contributor

I just read your text and I must say that I am surprised to hear that the cost of the Uber driver almost equals the cost of insurance/gasoline, etc.  I never thought about it that way.  I am 86 years old, still working part-time (on a computer!) and love it.  I drive to the local grocery story, drive to the gym three days a week, drive to the local stores and also drive to the country line dancing classes that I take.  Also drive to doctor and dentist appointments.  I will keep your idea of Uber in mind when I cannot drive anymore.  Thank you for your post.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Your story is encouraging...am "only" 70 yo and fully intend to work part-time (someday-am fulltime now) and still drive as long as possible.  The time one must wait for a driver (of any sort) added to the anxiety I personally feel about the uber thing (safe or no!?) keep me in my own car.  Hope that I can, however, discern when it is time to stop....my be someone prying the car keys out of my cold, dead hand...!  Thanks! - for sharing your story.

Retired Community Manager

Hello @Lon1934, thank you for sharing these savvy and practical tips! Interesting to learn how cost effective Uber has been for you, too. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP