Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

'Tis the Season to Curb Stress: Tip #2 Set Boundaries

Community Manager
Community Manager

'Tis the Season to Curb Stress: Tip #2 Set Boundaries

it's ok to say no.jpgWe all know that dreaded moment when you agree to one commitment too many. You can’t think of a good way to say no, so you say yes, and immediately regret it as your stress level rises. That's why setting boundaries is so important. Saying yes when you should say no can leave you feeling resentful and overwhelmed. Family, friends and colleagues will understand if you can't participate in every project or activity.

Thinking about setting boundaries is oftentimes easier than actually setting boundaries with others, especially when your M.O. is being agreeable. One tool I like to use is the 3-second yes. 

The next time someone asks you for something, make it your intention to wait 3 full seconds before saying yes. It might feel awkward at first, but this countdown will help your stress or nervousness settle. It gives you time to respond rather than react.

Use the time to think through 3 very important questions before you say “yes”:

●︎ Do I really have the time?

●︎ Is this worth a yes?

●︎ What does my gut say?

What tips do you have for setting boundaries? What works for you?

Check out the other tips and kick that holiday stress to the curb!

For additional brain health tips and tools, visit Staying Sharp now.

Contributor

What Fido you mean by a 3 second Yes?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JaniceC910958 👋 It means to take at least 3 seconds before you say yes to something in order to think through these questions:

●︎ Do I really have the time?

●︎ Is this worth a yes?

●︎ What does my gut say?

This allows you to be more intentional with what you say yes to.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I know what you mean.  It seems I am having Christmas Eve dinner at three different places.  Now what?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds exhausting 😰 just eat real quick and then move on to the next. Hopefully, you'll get lots of tasty bites!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP