Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Stressed Over Managing Finances?

Yoga is one way to practice stress management. I’ve done it for years and always feel calmer afterward. Never tried it? Read this article on yoga for beginners and tell me what you think. Get more tips on reducing stress at AARP® Staying Sharp® , a member benefit.

Periodic Contributor

Music, music, music.  Whatever you like!

Contributor

I do tai chi. Sometimes I close my eyes and breathe in and visualize the ocean tide flowing towards me. On the outbreath I see the tide flowing away from me. I have a calm place in my mind where I can go if things get too stressful. It is an image of me as a child laying on the warm cement sidewalk going up to my childhood home. It is night and I am looking up at the stars. We used to do this a lot on warm summer nights while our parents and neighbors sat on the front porch talking. 

Social Butterfly

Non stress relievers:

Eating

Drinking

Smoking

Toking

Fingernail biting

Etc

Etc 

Regular Contributor

I lose myself in a good book, usually a cozy mystery…and it helps if my cats are nearby for petting.

A good book is a ticket for me, also. It gives my solar plexus a respite. I also do breathing. At night when my mind is active, it helps me to breathe with a little bit of sound, to take my mind off thinking so much. Sometimes I will ask myself, "Is what I am worrying about do-able (able) and something that later I can deal with or start to deal with?

I am also aware more when I have lopped into a habitual shift into tension. I will sometimes say to that "mechanism", compassionately "You are working WAY too hard! All I need you to do is notice, no judgement. We'll take care of the rest." And, then wait a few moments for it sink in. This has taken some practice.

A cup of hot chamomile tea; and don't forget the hot Cacao Latte (mix), are soothing (or hot Silk Original  Coconut Milk). Self kindness matters.

Contributor

That is exactly what I do.  I find reading very relaxing especially with my doxie and cat next to me.  We think alike!

Contributor

@JoyceB23283 wrote:

That is exactly what I do.  I find reading very relaxing especially with my doxie and cat next to me.  We think alike!

I take my 3 grandkids too the park. We have a nature trial that they love too walk through.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP