Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Sixty is the new forty

Growing older is a natural part of life, but how to do it can make a big difference. Nourish the brain with a healthy diet, exercise, curiosity, and plenty of fun. Learn more about brain health with AARP® Staying Sharp, a benefit for AARP Members.

Periodic Contributor

Hello Maggie,

This is an important topic. We see it covered on PBS specials and here on AARP.  And, who doesn't like the idea of keeping your brain sharp as it is in your forties! 

But where is the conversation about sixty being the 'new sixty'?  After all, we only get there once! So it's all new!  I find so little space dedicated to talking about the potential that awaits us when we arrive in our sixties and beyond. Instead, a lot of time and attention is spent taking about avoiding the encounter.

What if being in your sixties was the transition from the Masterworks Phase of your life (age 45-65), to the Mentorship Phase of your life (age 65-85+). And, that in each of these phases there was a deep purpose and work to be done for the benefit of oneself, family and loved ones, and those around us.  Now that certainly should make your brain sharp!

Charles Collins
Community Concierge

Charles,

Thanks so much for your reply. I entered my 60's a few years ago, and I really like what you're saying. I've often wondered what role I could play in working with disadvantaged youth, having raised two children and seen how they struggle at times, even in the best of situations. I'm going to share your comments with our team and ask them to consider focusing more attention on your idea. Best, Maggie.

Charles C. to Margaret - I see a message from Amber about sorting this out. In the meantime, I did not see the content of your private message of yesterday afternoon time stamped 

Subject: Re: Masterworks & Mentorship
Date: 07-27-2020 04:32 PM

I would ask you to resend to this ID via private messaging if it is anything you want me know about. However, when I try to access private messaging with this user ID it doesn't look quite right either. We are having our share of technicals!  Hoping to hear from you again soon.

All for now,

Charles

0 Kudos
Contributor

Charles,

I just stated in my message yesterday that I would do my best to sort out this issue. Margaret

0 Kudos

Sorry Margaret. I now see your signature and the light went on.  I got confused thinking Amber was another person. 

0 Kudos

Margaret this is Charles Collins. I am using my wife's account to message you because I received a notification late yesterday afternoon, that I had a private message from you to my AARP associated email address. 

But when I try to access it I am Banned from the Community and not permitted entry at all to anything. I don't know what is going on. I have spoken to supervisors with no help. I would have sent this to you as a private message using this account however it does not allow me to compose one.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Charles,

I am trying to sort this out-please be patient as it may take a few days. Thank you, Margaret

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP