Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games Online Community Tips Contest 2021

Have a tip on how to maximize scores on AARP Games?  Share your strategies or tricks others might not be aware of for a chance to win one of five (5) $50 VISA gift cards along with 50 AARP Rewards points! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest ends 12/31/21.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Cool!  I feel very special... ๐Ÿ’–

Super Contributor

Teri, I don't think very many folks who entered this contest got an email with a promo code for the points. I get emails with codes from a couple of my weekly newsletters, but I don't recall getting one for this contest.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I just addd them to your account.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@AARPTerirequest reply to my question below. Thank you 

Community Manager
Community Manager

I added to both your account and your husband's.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Yes, I will add them to your account if you did not receive the promo code via email.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JeffreyH26257 , The winners were:

@naxos  with Outspell Tip; @nonnie9999 onnie9999 with Word Search tip; @lb66998143 with Mahjongg tip; @JudeStrebla with Scrabble tip; @Vexed with Outspell tip!  There were some great tips shared here!

AARPTeri
Trusted Contributor

Community Manager
Community Manager

An email is being sent to your registered email address to confirm mailing address!  You should receive it today.

AARPTeri
Contributor

Thank you so much!

Periodic Contributor

@AARPTeri Hi Teri, thank you! Do I need to do anything to get the reward?

Social Butterfly

Thank you so much @AARPTeri . What a surprise! Never got an email. Congratulations to the winners. And thanks to everyone that submitted a tip.

Trusted Contributor

AARPTeri Hi, my husband entered the contest and did not receive either notification that he won or points for entering.  Hoping maybe he had possibly won, he sent you the email below on Jan 27th asking if you could publish the winners.  Since he received no reply I was hoping I would be more successful.  Could you clarify if for future contests you could publish the winners so that we who have not won could know and request the points if we have not received them.

He has not gotten any email related to this contest.  He has no problem getting redemptions and bulletins.

Thank you in advance for a prompt response.

Trusted Contributor

@AARPTeri Have rewards points been given for this contest?

Periodic Contributor

@AARPTeri hi, can you share winners with the rest of us?

Conversationalist

Staying sharp as I age, thatโ€™s my goal!

I find that playing a few AARP games each day helps me toward that goal.

My favorite is Scramble Words. It brings me lots of benefits: quick thinking, vocabulary recall, increased vocabulary, and I will not forget that it helps me with typing and muscle memory.

Here are a few tips that have helped me improve my game.

• Maximize the bonus words; they are the ones that make the difference between a low and a high score.
  • Think grammar: plural, past tense, conjunctions, gender, numbersโ€ฆ
  • Learn words that have only a few letters but might not be used often in everyday conversations; for example ken and kent.
  • Donโ€™t forget that the game does not allow anything remotely inappropriate (โ€œgayโ€ comes to mind as the game has never learned the traditional meaning of โ€œmerryโ€).
  • And that it accepts some proper nouns (โ€œGenoaโ€ trips me all the time!)

My last tip is the most important one: all the sets are not equal in difficulties and a difficult one makes me learn so much more! Poor score but a more nimble mind. Soldier on!

Trusted Contributor

I like to play the word games and especially like Outspell, Word Wipe & Scramble Words.  I don't worry about others' high scores, I just try to beat my best score.  I've always been a poor speller & find that crossword puzzles and word games really help.  Kids (and grandchildren!) would enjoy many of these games - and not realize how educational they are. The mini-crossword puzzle often has some clever clues - and you get reward points for completing it.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Regular Contributor

I enjoy doing the crossword puzzles. My tip for maximizing your score on the crossword puzzles is to fill in the answers for the clues that you are pretty sure are right before you make a guess on the ones that you are not sure of. You lose points for guessing the wrong answer and many times the correct answer is easier to figure out when some of the letters are already filled in from the clues for the words that intersect with the answers that you are not sure of. I will never get the highest score but I enjoy trying to increase my own score.

Regular Social Butterfly

Great post! btw, if you turn off "Show errors" or "Highlight errors", in most of the crossword puzzles, wrong answers don't lose points. That's under the menu (top left on most crosswords), usually the top or second option.

Some crosswords (usually the cumulative) have that option under "Check" (third from right); "Autocheck" should show Off.

Thanks for the post!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Contributor

Playing games daily increases your speed and accuracy.  On days that notice I respond slower, I recognize that I'm tired or frazzled and I give myself some extra kindness.  Having a daily indicator that makes you think about yourself is helpful, and doing the puzzles daily has so many other benefits, including having fun.  

Bronze Conversationalist

Type with two hands when doing the crossword puzzles. I wish that I had taken typing class in school 40 years ago lol. 

Regular Social Butterfly

lol, I'm so glad I did 60 years ago ๐Ÿ˜‰ that does help me now especially since back then only manual typewriters so we had to slam the carriage back every sentence/paragraph ๐Ÿ˜‰

While I think most kiddos now learning "keyboarding" earlier now, this is yet another reason that should be encouraged, don't you think? While touch input is pretty prevalent now, that doesn't work so well with crosswords, so I always use keyboard for those.

Thanks for pointing out a great fact!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Contributor

Games keeps your mind sharp! Have fun and play!

0 Kudos

Have a good time with it 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Try to enjoy yourself when your electronic partner with six HCP  bids a three card suit twice.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Use all the strategies you have to win, but know that even when you lose, you're still winning. Think of all the cognitive benefits you get from playing games:

1) Lumeno and Snake improves hand-to-eye coordination.

2) You're not only using problem solving skills when you play Right Again,Trivia or Crossword,   you're also drawing on your short- and long-term memory skills. (You're also learning a lot that you didn't know before!)

3)  Games where you compete with others improves social skills and teamwork.

4)  Mahjongg teaches you how to multi-task and forces you to pay attention to multiple things at once and react to them, all while keeping track of a certain time window.

5)  Arcade games makes you adapt to changing rules, and forces you to move out of your  comfort zone. (Adaptation is something many folks have a hard time accepting.)

6)  Gaming helps you to set goals, and once met, create new ones.

So, have fun, be entertained - all while keeping those self-improvement skills sharp! The smarter you get, the higher your games scores will go!

Periodic Contributor

I like mahjong and the peaceful music.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP