Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games Online Community Tips Contest 2021

Have a tip on how to maximize scores on AARP Games?  Share your strategies or tricks others might not be aware of for a chance to win one of five (5) $50 VISA gift cards along with 50 AARP Rewards points! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest ends 12/31/21.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

After years of playing my favorite games I’ve realized I will never hit a really top score for whatever reason. So I just enjoy playing the games and constantly trying to better my scores.

Contributor

i agree. after playing tons of the crosswords, the scoring makes no sense to me.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I enjoy doing the three crossword puzzles daily. My tip is to do the "Daily Crossword" first, then do the "Let's Crossword". You'll find that there is usually at least one clue and answer from the "Daily Crossword" ithat s repeated in the "Let's Crossword" puzzle. That makes your second puzzle go faster and increases your score. Note you could do this in reverse order if you're looking for better scores on "Daily Crossword". 

Contributor

Daily Crosswords are my games of choice.  For "Let's Crossword" I hit "skip" when the crossword loads and play alone (a bit more challenging).  I've found that if I fill in some sections of the crosswords using the across clues and other sections using the down clues, my score improves (even if it takes a bit longer to navigate the grid). 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Classic Solitaire requires paying attention and making sure all the moves were made. If you miss one this can cause a problem especially with the 3 draw. For me 3 draw is more of a challenge than 1 and it is more exciting.

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far--we're seeing some great tips here! If you're new to the contest, this is the place to post your AARP Games tip entries.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My gaming technique advice is to play games that used to be available only on Arcade machines like Atari- Asteroids.  It brings back so many memories and you get to travel through time!  It’s the GREATEST Experience!

Periodic Contributor

If the board is tight and I have only a few tiles left, I scan across and vertically to see where the best score will be for those tiles.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Making 2 words in one play usually scores much higher than just making one word. So scan the board carefully to see where that can be done.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

For Outspell, if I get a blank, I sometimes use it for a Q, X or Z if I see a place I can use it strategically. It usually gives me a 30+ score. 

Periodic Contributor

Any game with words is a winner with me!  I've been a Scrabble addict for years and love a "tight" board.  I hoard my "S" tiles for flexibility and try to think ahead. (The computer's use of "S" often seems less than strategic, in my opinion.) 

My favorite little known word is "cwm", which I learned from another Scrabble addict many years ago, and actually was able to use it recently.  Although I don't rank in the upper tiers of scoring, I rarely lose to the computer.

My tip for players is that even when you've got a mish-mash of letters, use the dictionary to try combinations of the letters you have.  I've been surprised more than once that I've been able to play a word with the sorriest mix of tiles you can imagine.

Personal note: Back in the 1970's, before computers were imaginable as household items, a friend and I devised a long-distance method to play Scrabble through the mail.  Remember snail-mail?  Yes, I've been an AARP member for a while.

Contributor

I play a few different games.  I don't get anywhere near the top scores on some of them, so I set my own goals and just enjoy playing.  

Periodic Contributor

I agree... it's not as much about the score as it is about the relaxation.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Great topic!

For monthly score cumulative games (Codeword, Fill Ins, Stan Newman's Daily, Stan Newman's Sunday, The Daily Solitaire, etc) scores are stored in cookies on the User's computer, so ensure those are not set to delete daily.

Each browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, etc) has different steps but usually under settings>privacy.

Thank you, Teri!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Contributor

Why not give it a try? (Just throw it against the wall to see if anything sticks.)

Regular Contributor

For quizzes, review the multiple choice answers gien to see if they contain a clue to, or refer to, the question asked.

Contributor

Play games but haven’t on the AARP site.  These comments have enlightened me to try them out!  Knowing about the hints given for Outspell is very helpful!

Retired Community Manager

Hi, @dh6022, we'd love to have you check out AARP Games. Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

OUTSPELL 

I have a few tips that may help improve a score in Outspell. Of course, a lot depends on what tiles you get. The best part of the game is that you are not timed and can relax and think. I love this game, so I don't really care about how much I score. I just care about beating the computer. 

Tip 1. - ( Remember that there is a difference in scoring than regular Scrabble.)  - The letters placed on the red tiles (double/triple word) and blue tiles (double/triple letter) keep the value after being  played. In scrabble, once played they are only the point(s) on the tile. So, play to build on previous higher scoring letters/words if you can. Look at the numbers at the bottom of the played letters and see where you can score more points.  (edit-- This may seem odd since on the board the numbers revert to tile number(s) after you "submit", but you actually need to test place the tiles there for other plays and you will see the higher numbers that you can get. You can also remember which tiles were placed on red and blues. Always good to try different combinations for better points before you "submit".)

Tip 2. - Try not to swap any letters due to losing a turn. Try to play even a single letter anywhere even if it is not a lot of points. Losing a turn will give the computer opponent a lot of advantage point-wise.

Observation. -- Not exactly a tip, but something to keep in mind. Difficulty levels. The board seems to be the same in each level. The difficulty seems to come in "smartness" of the computer opponent. Hard is harder due to computer is more able to make better choices in words. I have played all levels and my score does not vary a great deal. (Still depends on tiles I get and what I choose to do with them) Does a bit better in Hard a lot of times due to me playing using my Tip 1 to the computers better words.

Hope you enjoy playing.

Social Butterfly

No, I don’t play games!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

For Outspell I use a site called Scrabble Word Finder to help me find words that will earn the most points.

Wheel of fortune - If you have no clue what else to do, begin the round by spinning and selecting the T. Following that, if you cannot figure out any other letters, buy the E. Most common letters are S, N, R L. f you still cannot deduce any other consonants from the puzzle, buy the A. Then buy the I. An overly conservative player thus has no chance of winning unless they happen to solve the prize puzzle.  prize puzzle is an exception to this rule. Since the prize is worth so much, you should solve the puzzle once you know it. Spinning might accumulate a few thousand dollars more but is not worth the risk.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Scramble Words is my favorite....it's addicting!  I've found you score higher if you work on making more words instead of just going faster, because of the bonus word scoring.  Also, you can use a scrabble-like dictionary to find all of the "words you never heard of" that are considered words.  Some proper names and abbreviations are included.  Also, you can go much faster on a phone or tablet than with a mouse. Happy gaming!

Contributor

Solitaire. Not to fast to move a long pile of the queen onto a king. Other chances for a queen may appear. Maybe revealing another king.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP