Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Would love to just chat!

I am recently retired and still getting used to being at home all day.  I tried to get a part time job but no success. I would love to chat and get to know people from all over the country.  Maybe you can give me some advice on retirement loneliness!  Rebecca 

Rebecca
Trusted Contributor

Message directly anytime. Trying to navigate next chapter as well

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Rebecca, looks like you got a lot of responses which is great. I had really troubles once I stopped working, but things have leveled out. Would be happy to talk. I am at [email adress removed from public view. Please do not post personal details in public]. Be most compatible with a phone call, via phone or google meet. I am writing a lot so on-line chat or texts would be a challenge. 

Trusted Contributor

New here and would love the same...

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hey Vincent, I haven't been on the site in a while. Saw your kudo messages just now. Rebecca

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Contributor

I am new and anyone like to chat 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hey Rebecca!

Jody here. I'm on the left coast and I'm a 63 yr. old retired widower and I don't have a lot of social connections but if you would like to get to know each other, [email adress removed from public view. Please do not post personal details in public]. We can exchange numbers then if you like, so we can text, etc. Hope to hear from you soon!

Jody

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hey Jody, you can private message on here. Rebecca

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Rebecca. Thanks for reaching out. Be happy to talk.. Perhaps a phone call or on google talk. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hey there HStreet, got your response. You can always communicate by private message on here. Rebecca

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I LIVE IN ORLANDO, 🙂

Beatriz Cortes
Regular Contributor

Me too.  I keep me entertained teaching classes online.

Where are you located?

Beatriz Cortes
Regular Contributor

Good morning everyone, I am going to try that Zumba class this morning. What are yall up to?

Regular Contributor

Hi there from Oregon

0 Kudos
Contributor

What part of Oregon?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, Phil. Welcome. Would love to find some way to communicate all together in a user-friendly way. 

0 Kudos

Welcome to retirement,  have no fear you will adapt quickly to learning how to not having 

to rise early going to work. Or either having to work evenings or nites. I'm a retired nurse for over ten yrs. My first few months i was bored to the length that i went out and got a part time job. That only lasted until a snow storm, and i realized i didn't have to do this anymore. Have been enjoying my freedom from a job ever since. By loving it and doing what ever pleases me. Welcome to that Club!           Mary

Super Contributor

K, so Rhymesometimes and I were originally thinking Wednesday, but that doesn't suit everyone, which is okay; we'll figure it out.  

I'm open for Sat. - Sun. if that works for others?

According to Google, 10:00 - 1300 PST is the best time for Web meetings across the US.

I've just finished an hour long Webinar on how to set up and host a ZOOM meeting.  It was just the basics, but I feel a little more equipped now.  No worries about pressure to attend as a result; I've been wanting to learn about the ins and outs of ZOOM for a while now.  🙂

Apparently, on the free version of ZOOM, a meeting with three or more people in attendance will cut off at 40 minutes (although we can have as many as 100 people in one meeting).  However, they informed that the above does not prohibit us from simply starting a new meeting.  Although, it being so new, I think a shorter time might be best at first to see how everyone feels.  Maybe 30 minutes?  Just so we don't get cut off mid-good-bye's.  LOL

How is everyone feeling?  Sat. or Sun. workable?  The time's are not rigid, just optimal.  We can work around them.

I want to reiterate that EVERYONE IS WELCOME.  🙂  Just send me your email in a private message if you want to attend and I'll include it as soon as we get the kinks worked out and a meeting set up.  

Hoping everyone is feeling good this day.  🙂

I'm off to post about my coconut pancake disaster. 

Tamara  (There must be a food/recipe thread somehwere around here.)

PS:  I've had to edit this post four times.  I'm blaming steroids which have kept me up since 1:30.  😕  

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@OscarE1968, I didn't see this before sending you my email about Wednesdays, between 10:00 and 13:00 PST.  Rats.  I'm open for Saturday or Sunday.
I'll post and see what peeps are feeling.  🙂
Tamara

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Greetings! Boy, do i know where you're coming from. I was completely overwhelmed due to dealing with a failing mother and adult children who were struggling, while keeping a high stress full time job. i wound up in therapy due to the anxiety. Then....my mother passed away, my children found themselves in better circumstances, and i decided to retire after 32 years of employment. And i found myself struggling as to how to fill my time, after so many years of never having enough of it! i came to the stunning realization that i needed a ROUTINE, even if it was a different routine than the one i had previously. I started establishing a routine....and then COVID hit. So, now back to establishing a DIFFERENT routine. I was ready to give up the high stress job, but i never really planned on what the next step should be. 

Liz

Social Butterfly

@hockeymom9178  I want to first say how sorry I am about the passing of your mom. You have definitely gone through a great deal in a short amount of time, and were so wise to seek counseling when it grew overwhelming.  Classic feast or famine.  It can take time to decide how you want your retirement to look.  Blocking in time to exercise regularly is a good start.  Slowing begin building a social network of friends and family.  Check in with them regularly. Creating a weekly meal plan can free you up from asking yourself, what am I going to have for dinner every day. Also decrease temptation of fast food or delivery regularly. It's an adjustment to cook for one.  You can always double portion favorite dishes and freeze.  Hobbies are a great way to build in routine.  Are there hobbies you like (d) or look into new ones. A crazy thing I picked up two months ago was entering limerick contests. A total blast!  Joining a book club, gets you a chance to meet people with some similar interest.  Volunteering can do that too.  If you are a person of faith, joining a church. Maybe a part-time job is a way to get you out regularly too.

Best of luck hockey mom, you are resilient and resourceful, you got this! 

Periodic Contributor

Is there anyone out there to chat?

Super Contributor

Yes!  I'm here. 

I feel like I'm lost in a tornado of people under thirty on the internet.

Social Butterfly

@MedusaE76171 I know what you mean.  I don't do the whole social media thing.  Other then this AARP site. Welcome to the 50+ online community here at AARP. Lots of interesting forums to participate in.  Hope you find what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thank you!  🙂  Thank you so much for the welcome. I don't mean to sound overly exuberant, but this place feels like water in the dessert.  🙂

Social Butterfly

@MedusaE76171 In all honesty, we could use some more exuberance on this site.  Engaging questions and people to respond with interest.  With 36 million AARP members, There is a very very small portion that are in this on-line community. There is great potential to connect, inform and entertain.   To follow your water analogy, jump in and get your feet wet.😄

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

@Rhymesometimes Thank you for the encourgement.  🙂  I really appreciate it and would very much like to engage with the people here.  And here we are, you and I, doing just that.  🙂  

Social Butterfly

@MedusaE76171  Nice to have positive energy around here. 😃

Periodic Contributor

People are strange I hear all about the loneliest for people 50+ and aarp gives people a place to help with it and  people do not take advantage of it

Come on folks lets talk it up

Super Contributor

@Jerome19468, Love to you have you at coffee if you're up for it.  🙂 

(Sorry this is a bit late, I didn't see it at the top until this morning.)  🙂

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP