Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 11 of 43

I wholly understand the plight of seniors seeking safe, affordable, dignified housing. I live in Los Angeles and these are the sources I have been using to locate possibilities:

My situation is a bit unique in that I am homeless with little income and cannot officially retire until I am 66 years, 4 month (am 63). 

My search is ONLY for a subsidized senior housing plan that accepts 30% of WHATEVER your income is but maybe your needs and income level will give you more latitude. So far, I have found and gotten on the waiting list of more than a half-dozen properties in better areas of metro Los Angeles.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 43

I'm in the same situation.  Now I live with my daughter and grandson but 

I am feeling more like a burden and wonder what  I'm going to do?   

We are living too long and out living our resourses.  I really think we  need

to be able to end it all legally when we want to.

It is not a joy to out live ones shelf life.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 43
WOW! THAT'S INSANE!!! YOU SHOULD MOVE AND STOP GIVING THEM YOUR MONEY!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 43

@citygal226 

Hello Citygal,

Those are great suggestions for seniorsSmiley Happy  I live in my own home, but may sell it to move around other seniors.  I also have a vehicle and drive myself, but who knows how long I'll be able to deal with the traffic issues in my city.

Hopefully you'll get where you want to be, when your lease expires.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 43

I agree. Seniors need lower price housing shared examples and options, for seniors. Not so much air BB but more near the golden girls , three or two, or perhaps more. AARP should find, promote, write about success stories, even help fund some trials.  The community housing for seniors is an attempt to meet health needs, food with cafeteria halls, and helping service and community centers for local groups. But it's hard to set up, it's more expense each unit, and just not as feasible as smaller house sharing  that is  smaller scale. And  more basic. AARP writers should seek out success stories to print and describe.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 43

I have heard alot about Senior House sharing, but have not been able to find much about it like how to get started etc.. I would like to stay in my home, but it is gettng to be a bit much both physically and financially. I wish AARP would do an article on this topic. (Senior house sharing)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 43
I see I'm not the only one. I'm 62, just got divorced and living with my daughter temporarily. I've been searching up and down for a low income apartment in the Orlando or Sanford, Fl area and can't seem to find anything on my fixed income and not just that everything is a long waiting list, its so frustrating. If anyone out there knows of anyone renting in the areas mentioned above, please let me know. Oh, I'm not thinking of renting a room, that'll be last resort. Thank you in advance.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 43
That's VERY sad and WRONG for rents to be so dang high in America! Businesses are eating us to death with their high prices! SICK SICK SICK!!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 43

$91 increase is amount rent went up per month on new lease. Total rent for this 1 BR in Las Vegas is now $1421. They claim base rent is $1547 and the "discount" is -$156.  Lived here 7 yrs and it has never increased more than $30 month.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 43

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who read, replied, and gave me Kudos for my post! I wrote it over a year ago and I'm still getting Kudos about it! I'm just really glad that so many AARP-ers got some value from what I said.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors