Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Re: Senior Housing

Message 1 of 43

Hi citygal226,

I am in DIRE need of an apt. (by or BEFORE June 9th) and, if you don't mind, would like to inquire that if you do not consider the apt. for your mother or yourself, I would be interested in the apt. and if you would, share the name of the building, address, and/or phone number?

Or, if you know of other Sr. housing in the Chicago, IL area, I would sincerely appreciate any info., leads, etc.  Thank you.

With prayers,

Tfharris02

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist

Message 2 of 43

These links are to HUD and more for subsidized housing for seniors and the disabled.  It goes according to income etc so not all would qualify.  Good luck to everybody on finding what you want/need.

Scroll to bottom of this Main page for links and easier to find resources:  https://www.hud.gov/

Yes there is usually a waiting list but depending on where one is looking makes a difference. https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contacts   I have gotten in as little as one month in Colorado but here in Havasu it was two years.  But i could afford to wait since i was living with my Daughter.

And here's one more on the same site:  https://www.hud.gov/topics/rental_assistance

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 3 of 43
I use this (affordablehousingonline.com) to find open waiting lists and even some senior housing with no waiting lists.
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 4 of 43

I very much hear you! Senior housing is an essential, has been for decades. Always a topic of surprised disappointment that after so much talk, so little has been done.

I will be 64 in June and have been doggedly applying for subsidized senior housing the moment I turned 62. Lost my last major employment source at 54, ran out of money at 56 and became homeless. After 6 years on the street, I got a berth in a transitional housing program. It is as it sounds--a place where those in and out of prison and rehabs are sent to live. NOT a safe house environment, in an unsafe area of town. Am presently on 9 waiting lists with a chance to acquire a spot in a new complex for seniors in Hollywood, CA. Berths will be gotten by lottery and I fervently hope I secure one.

Is just a shame that seniors need to face this--losing good work because they are "socially too old", then having to scramble around frantically seeking a safe state. While on the street, I saw MANY seniors, some past 70, wandering the street by day and sleeping on dirty shelter army cots by night.

Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 43

I find that the east coast is a good place for affordable senior housing. Just found a very nice place in PA for my 93 year old aunt. The community does not have all of the amenities some communities have, no wellnes center, beauty salon, no meals, no 24 hour desk service.no public transportation in area and nothing accessible without a car. However, it is a very nice building and because it does not have the amenities, it is extremely affordable. Even without the amenities, it works well for her, she is independent and gets around really well and still able to prepare her meals. For those who can't prepare meals, Meals on Wheels is an option. We have someone do her laundry (washers/dryers in building), grocery shopping and housekeeping and the community has a bus that take the residents shopping 3 days a week.There are daily social activities, movie night, game night, book clubs in the building. For doctors and hair appointments a family member was taking her anyway so nothing has changed there. A taxi or Uber is also an option. The building's social committee always have planned outings including, movies, plays, shopping trips, overnight trips, dining out. If you don't need all of the amenities, a senior building like this a  a great extremely affordable option. Look in the Philly, PA area.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Message 6 of 43

Still searching for afforadable housing. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears at this point. ALL STATES I checked with have long waiting list. It's SO frustrating! 😕

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 43

Having lived near Lake George where the winters can be harsh i would not advise a 90 year old to move there.  It is so cold that everything freezes over,  including the  Lake - cars can drive on it.

It's glorious in the spring, summer, fall but the snow, ice and cold is isolating, especially for Seniors.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 8 of 43

My mother is 90 years old and in a condo she owns. My brother, who's 65, and her boyfriend, who is somewhere between those ages, live with her. But, it has stairs and the boyfriend can't navigate them.

So, they're looking for subsidized senior housing.

Just picking places has netted her a few 3-year waiting lists. They would prefer to move sooner than later. Is there a way to find places with shorter waiting lists? They're in New Haven, CT, now, but don't have a lot of ties there and are willing to move. The Lake George area sounds nice to her, she has grandchildren around Lexington, KY; Seattle, WA and a few other places.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 9 of 43

Your choices were well-reasoned, Patricia. Am happy for you that you have the means to make these choices happen quickly.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 10 of 43

Hello there, notready:

Think you are a VERY fortunate person. Have seen many women, some over 70, holding their own on the streets of metro Los Angeles. Am happy for you that That One stepped in in time.

Had it been me in those last 3 weeks before having to leave, I'd have inquired about women's shelters or if there are any local YWCAs with residential openings. But fortunately that was not needed and your new home is a good place.

Smiley Happy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!