Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Housing

Message 11 of 24
You have the perfect list of concerns. I agree.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 24

Carla j ...the  91.00 is is the raise  in rent.       not the total rent paid. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 24

I agree, trying to find affordable senior housing is hard. I don't need assisted living. I live in a northern suburb of Detroit, MI  now in a 55 + mobile community. I lease a small 2 bedroom. Almost 900.00 rent plus all utilities. Souch for helping seniors with affordable housing. I'm 65, still working so this is doable (?) For now. Not when I retire. And only get maybe 1800. A month. No pension. 

There are many new senior living places being built. No way could I ever live in these. 1500-4000. A month. 

It's a shame we can't find affordable senior housing in desirable areas.

May have to move any from family and go south. Sad. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 24

The senior housing I have checked into is $3000 to $4000 per month!  I have too much to qualify for assisstance and not enough to live in the community.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 24

Wow ! $91 that is a great rent price. I live in senior housing (independent living) and I pay $378. Our building is HUD regulated. Sometimes it is a pain. But the activies are plenty. I myself have a coloring group twice a month. But don't necessarily go to every activity. In order to get our rent amount they subtract our medical cost that we had they the year and them we pay one third of what is left. We are recertified each year. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 24

You make good points on what list of needs seem best for serving senior housing.  I think a community to be able to say most or all these needs are within a 10 minute drive to 85 or 90% of not only seniors but far majority of the city residents. If a community lacks a good public transportation system, perhaps the new uber ride share  can be done part of the answer.   If a community values it's seniors, efforts are made  accomplish needed services.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 24

You make good points on what list of needs seem best for serving senior housing.  I think a community to be able to say most or all these needs are within a 10 minute drive to 85 or 90% of not only seniors but far majority of the city residents. If a community lacks a good public transportation system, perhaps the new uber ride share  can be done part of the answer.   If a community values it's seniors, efforts are made compromise needed services.  

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 24

Luckily we have several kids so we just sold our house and do a round robin of visiting!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 24

i'm 65 and in a regular apt complex. the senior housing around me is either assisted living or convelencent. I am looking for a modern upbeat place that offers the same amenities as a reguar apt except affordable. They are building two new senior housing near me but I am waiting to see what they will be.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 24
Live in senior housing in So Nevada; rent just went up $91 month, I did not get a raise. Carefree Senior property is greedy.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date