Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Housing

Message 21 of 26

i'm 65 and in a regular apt complex. the senior housing around me is either assisted living or convelencent. I am looking for a modern upbeat place that offers the same amenities as a reguar apt except affordable. They are building two new senior housing near me but I am waiting to see what they will be.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 26
Live in senior housing in So Nevada; rent just went up $91 month, I did not get a raise. Carefree Senior property is greedy.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 26

I will be in my senior apt 1 year on Aug 8th and I love it.  Of course, it's the first time I've ever been on my own at 68 and I thank God for allowing me to do this at the end.  My journey here wasn't really planned, but it was in God's plan.  Since I was 14, I've always wanted a girl and boy, but didn't consider that I needed a man, and God provided one.  We moved into a 1-1/2 room apt, got married and had my girl and boy and after 8 years, bought a 2 flat and lived there for 10 years and then bought a tri-level house in suburbia to escape the gangs so our children only had to think about education.  After 11 years to the month, my beloved husband passed away and I had to go it alone which was rough because it was no fun without him.  We had planned to grow old together but I guess it wasn't meant to be.  13 years after my husband passed, lost my job (Madoff cause and effect) and I managed to hold onto the house with home equity in arrears for 11 years before foreclosure.  2 years prior I started putting in applications for senior housing based on my due diligence and then my daughter said I was moving with them to TX, so I had all my stuff packed, canceled my applications only to find out that she had faked me out because my son-in-law wanted me to move with them.  6 months before foreclosure, I started looking at trailer homes communities and found one which looked promising and then they started making excuses and showing me trailer homes that should have been torn down.  Then I started looking for hotels that rented by the week and month for short term.  Low and behold, 2 weeks before I had to move out of a home I had lived in for 33 years, I get a call from a senior citizen community which I thought I had canceled.  They told me if I still wanted an apartment, I needed to come in to fill out forms.  2 days before I had to move out, I was moving into a newly decorated senior apartment.  I know God had my back and knew what was best for me and he brought me here right on time and I will forever be thanking him.  Of course I've run across females who will stare at me when I say hello and males will speak no matter what and I see that as those females' problems and not mine.  Bottomline, I am happy and I don't have to worry about cutting grass, water or gas bill and I go grocery shopping once a month as usual.  With the laundromat being on the premises, it's almost like the home I left except my washer and dryer were better but I'm not complaining - just happy, happy. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 26

I am 77 and have applied to independant senior housing but am still conflicted about leaving my moble home. I am happy in my home but am finding it difficult to maintain it because of lack of help.

How have other people dealt with this situation?  The senior houseing I have applied to has almost all of the available nearby amenities listed in the previous post with the exception of public transportation, but I still like my home and gardens etc. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 26

Thanks for posting this!

It is difficult to find affordable options - my mother was looking at places in NYC, and the entrance fees + ongoing monthly rates are unbelievably high.

If there was a good transportation option (e.g., regular bus services), and good food available at a residence, would you be interested in living in a lower cost area outside the city?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Senior Housing

Message 26 of 26

It's been a challenge to find AFFORDABLE senior housing for myself in Chicago, IL. Before my last birthday I was looking for 55+ housing and it was nearly non-existent. But now I'm 62 and more options are available. Last year, I'd visited a place I really liked from the outside, got a waiting-list application, and they called recently because they have a unit available. But I have a lease now for my current apartment until August and I'm just not ready to pack up and move again already. This is my first apartment on my own again since 8/2011 and I kinda like it here. However, I am considering the new place for my 80 y.o. mother. She lives in Independent Senior housing now, but the place is basically in the middle of nowhere. My sister found/chose the place and at the time, I did not have the means/transportation to check other options.

The main reason I'm posting about this is to give a heads-up to others like me, who might be looking for Independent Senior housing. I have a short checklist I've been working on and thought others should consider these items. Most are beyond what the property manager will tell you when you take a tour.

* Nearest grocery store? Grocery delivery available?

* Is there a bank branch/ATM for your bank nearby?

* Proximity to public transportation (bus, train)? Taxi service?

* Nearest hospital/Urgent Care facility? Proximity to your doctor's office?

* Closest Pharmacy to get meds and sundry items?

* Closest restaurants for dine-in and/or delivery?

* Closest shopping mall/mini mall?

* Closest dry cleaners? Do they have pick-up/delivery?

* Closest place to worship/church?

* Proximity to other entertainment - Movie theater? Library? Local shopping? Parks? Museums?

* What are the Senior Transportation options if you don't drive/have a car?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date