Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are your favorite tips to stay healthy over the holidays?

Retired Community Manager

What are your favorite tips to stay healthy over the holidays?

Do you have a special trick or tip for keeping up with your healthy habits (diet, exercise, sleep, etc.) over the holidays when it's more challenging? Share with us here!

Kudos
Views
Replies

I come across this website while trying to find ways to lose and learn about gluten-free recipes and lose a little weight and I don't know what to think of it. It does have epub books about gluten-free recipes, prices are good but when i seen the offers they were making I couldn't believe it.

So could you guys check it out, let me know what you think of it and maybe it will help someone else as well 

https://www.mightbeideal.com

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have started adding tumeric to all of my hot drinks.  You must also add a pinch of black pepper and a little full fatted creamer or milk for the body to better absorb it.  This little addition will help build your immune system.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Pet your cat more.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

eat raisins.clementines, or apple wedges. Or try apricot snow-  dried apricots with one side dipped in vanilla bark and dry on wax paper.  also, try eating   a piece of fruit 30 min. before your meal.   Some people like to eat a bowl of cereal before going to a party!  Try to select veggies or fruit for holiday dippers instead of crackers.  I know!   I know!   Its all so good we want it all but let's be good now and reap the rewards.MAH

0 Kudos
Contributor

So I've basically come across this website while trying to find ways to lose weight and I don't know what to think of it. It does have good prices and the article that I read was good but when i seen the offers they were making I couldn't believe it.

So could you guys check it out, let me know what you think of it and maybe it will help someone else as well .

https://fitlifes.health.blog/

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I try not to deprive myself of goodies.  I just eat a little & try not to overdo.  I also try to hit the gym regularly.   Sometimes a cup of hot tea with a little honey is enough to curb the sweet tooth.   

Eating a healthy diet, getting plenty of rest, & hand sanitizer seems to help keep my healthy.   If I do get a cold, I try not to go anywhere & take that time to rest.  

Contributor

I always make diabetic-friendly desserts so that the entire family can indulge that ol' sweet tooth without the guilt.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Well, not just over the holidays, but all year, I intermittantly fast, i.e. eat no more than 2 meals a day, and eat those meals within 8-12 hours. I also eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, getting most of my protein from beans, nuts and seeds, meat and fish is a treat.  I do eat ice cream but mix it, parfait style with chopped nuts and a peanut butter topping (peanut butter, almond milk, cocoa powder, cinnamon and other spices). I beleive the mixing of the sugary processed ice cream with nut protein lowers the elevated blood sugar impact. On holidays I follow the same rules, but eat a little more meat and have some more sweets, I have one meal that day, and follow it up with exercise, walking or biking. This fast helps bring your blood sugar down. It took me 2-3 weeks to get used to doing this. Now I can do it at anytime, i.e., one meal a day. I feel hunger, but after awhile it subsides. I also weigh myself after every shower to see how I'm doing.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This is a perfect time of year to drink natural flavored herbal tea. There are many teas that need no sugar, but still taste sweet. I like Ginger Peach, a herbal green tea made by Stash. But there are so many kinds it is easy for almost everyone to find one they enjoy. I fix a tall cup to sip on while I cook,  also a cup to enjoy as I remember to take time out to relax. No calories, helps to stay hydrated. 

Periodic Contributor

Here's how I stay  healthy:

1.  I plan ahead what I will eat.  I concentrate on what I WILL eat instead of what I CAN'T eat.  I make the traditional food for my friends and family who want them and make sure I have alternatives for me.  Picturing what I WILL eat helps me to eat intentionally.

2.  Stick to my exercise schedule.  Even though company, traveling, shopping and baking can throw my schedule off, as much as possible I go to my yoga classes and do my daily fast 1-hour walk in the woods.  If I can't do either, I carve out an hour to do yoga at home or find another place to walk.  It keeps me focused and creative.

3.  And if something comes up that deviates from that plan (someone brings a very favorite family dish or a great family event interferes with my walking schedule) I smile and give myself permission to deviate SLIGHTLY from my plan if it means I can be with my loved ones and share memories.

Regular Contributor

These are basically things that I do all year long so I totally agree with this advise....especially concnetrating on what one CAN have rather than what they CAN'T/

Regular Contributor

Perfect answer - I agree with everything you said.

Contributor

Think how hard it is to  work off the extra calories 

Don't buy them and then they are not tempting

Contributor

In the evening in exchange for cake, or sweets. I cut up a med size granny Smith apple into small PC's, the more PC's trucks me into feeling I had enough by the end. I also will eat a third cup of raisins on an alternative night, naturally sweet and many in a 3rd cup. The last is a microwaved bed size sweet potatoes plan, again natural sugar. Hope these by help you as I have been able to not gain, and maintain satisfaction on feeding my sweet tooth every night. TERRY VAUGHN

Contributor

Find time to walk. Even if it is only 5 minutes...fresh air and a walk are healthy and invigorating. 

Jeff "Doc" Hubbard
Regular Contributor

I was a Girl Scout when a young girl and their motto is "be prepared".   As one with some food intolerances I live this way always, but especially during holidays, parties, etc.

Eat something "before" attending events....just something to take the edge off of your possible hunger.  Also, bring a dish to share that you know is healthy.  This way you have something that you know is "safe" and less caloric perhaps, than conventional treats.  Drink lots of water before and chose less caloric drinks when with others.  You don't have to deprive yourself, but these little things make it easier to make wise choices.   And wear something that makes you feel incredible that is perhaps just the right fit which will feel uncomfortable if you stuff yourself.   Most importantly, concentrate on just being with family and friends more than what there is to eat.  Now go out there and enjoy the holidays!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Eat sparingly, work out and move as much as possible, sleep enough, don't overspend when shopping, and if you don't like these suggestions, go for broke and live it up!

Conversationalist

Well, this year, it's going to be different for us, 1/2 of our family went to California and the other half is in Nevada.

So, what to make?  My daughter hates cooking at the crack of dawn and I hate cooking because I've been cooking for the past 20 years in a private school for 200 kids a day.  I love the reviews from the kids but man, I'm retired!

So, we've decided to go to a buffet, yes, a buffet. Choices are endless.

Start walking around looking at all the items, telling yourself, not all will you slap on your plate, small, and small. Usually, I walk the whole perimeter, and looking at all the items, including desserts. 

When, I decide what I'm getting I put a small portion, my favorites hummus, pasta with vegetables, I do like collard greens, reminds me of spinach with a sting taste. So, I put that on my pasta. I build my plate so all foods intermingle with each other.  I get lots of spinach salad, with cranberry, green beans, carrots, and a tiny bit of potato salad.  My meat would be some kind of fish, not fried, on the fish, I put salsa or lots of lemon. If they have no fish, then I'll try the Mexican dish of beans and rice, and mix it with my spinach salad.  It's all about building and mixing.

Desserts, I love pies but eat no crusts. So, lately have been eating no sugar desserts but that doesn't mean you can eat more, it means Making a limit! Pick your favorite that you don't eat at home. If you deny yourself, you will go nuts!  Cakes, don't eat the icing, I know it's a killer, but try without. I don't eat ice cream, even a smiggeen because it clogs my system royally.

Soups- I always looks to see what in the ingredients, if it has lots of milk, and hardly any vegetables- pass it- on to the next.

Breads, pass it, you have that at home.  You might it eat more, than your limit.

When, deciding on your main entree- meat- look how it is prepared, then decide how to build it, not butter, not salt, yes, salad, vegetables. Or a little soup, not gravy, makes it interesting flavor.

Try new things but small. Enjoy!

Regular Contributor

Great ideas....thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

One tip I might offer for the holidays would be to get involved. DO a few fun things with family and friends during this festival of blessed days. What better way to participate in the spirit of the season. Be sure to seize the moments for what they are, though, because you may not remember them tomorrow or next year.

DO be mindful -- of what you eat and drink and any activities that you think you might enjoy. For example, if the family is headed out to the community ice rink and the kiddos are screeching, “C’mon grandma (or grandpa), you can do it.” Get real. If you haven’t skated in several years or ever, this is not the time for aerial jumps. You’ll be lucky if you just land on your rear and not in ER. Maybe you could be the photographer for the group or the go-to person for homemade cocoa.

I would also avoid any pie eating contests or who can pile whipped cream the highest on their favorite dessert and consume it the fastest. You’re bound to start hallucinating with all that sugar and a snowy white beard dripping off your face is definitely someone else’s photo op.

At any point, should you feel like an old fogey with more lines on your face than a railroad track, keep smiling, and when relatives come up to you and say that you don’t look a bit older than the last time they saw you, just say, “Thank you.” Secretly, you know that one day they’re going to look like old fogeys, too. That should cheer you up.

Now, don’t worry if the memory is a little sketchy. With a revolving door of relatives, you may be asked several times to recall some other family occasion. This is your answer for everything: “I DOOOO remember.” Then give a good chuckle and add: “Tell me your version of it?”  You know how that works.

DO keep a sense of humor. Humor often helps people to cope with just about any situation and it can even soften the blow if feeling marginalized. Should you start to feel overwhelmed with the house full of eclectic, well-meaning personalities (namely family); humor can be your safety net and then just start laughing. Laugh out loud. Laugh a lot. Laugh at yourself. Laughter is guaranteed contagious, but also requires no EMT remedy.

At best, if you remember one thing, let it be this:  Life is like a skateboard. You’ll enjoy the ride of your life a lot longer if you don’t get on it. Happy holidays!

Periodic Contributor

Wash your hands frequently and use handsanitizer before eating anything away from home.  Yes, even if you took a shower just before leaving home.

Conversationalist

Pace yourself!   Eat a light breakfast (don't skip!).  If possible, maybe you can help with the food preparation if required.  At dinner, don't overload the plate!  Look for the veggies and less at the high caloric items.   Better to walk away not feeling stuffed!  Wait before trying to eat dessert.  Don't sit right after the meal!  Maybe help with the dishes, or take a walk.  If you are going shopping, good.!  Plan to walk a lot!  

Get plenty of rest and eat a healthy high fiber breakfast skip lunch and then you can have desert at dinner. And when shopping park away from the other cars and walk to the stores. Carry some type of defense ladies no matter where you park.

Social Butterfly

Do 15 jumping jacks for every cookie you eat!  🍪

The best way to stay healthy during the holidays is don’t overeat because food is a major theme of holidays. During Christmas and New Year’s Day people usually eat excess food that leads to digestive trouble also affects your weight and cholesterol level.

Periodic Contributor

bring my own healthy snacks to the holiday gathering so I won't over-indulge

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP