Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ways to Exercise Hands and Fingers

Message 11 of 16

Seriously, the best you can do is some very fuzzy x-rays and pictures and an article written in 1987?  This is really sad and totally unnecessary.  Surely you could come up with information and photos or diagrams that are relatively new.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

As an occupational therapist, I agree that keeping your hands strong and agile helps you stay independent in your daily tasks. I recommend doing tendon gliding exercises. Here’s a research article that includes a great diagram of these exercises- hope this helps!

https://ajot.aota.org/pdfaccess.ashx?url=/data/journals/ajot/930394/164.pdf

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

@roberts258723 wrote:

I reside in Skokie Illinois and I stretch and move my Fingers on a daily basis

This keeps my Fingers strong and flexible. I can feel the difference when I carry groceries home

@roberts258723   I know Skokie! I was born on the north shore. Smiley Happy

You continue to share tidbits with us that show what a great example you are! It is awesome that you walk to the grocery store. Purely awesome!  Do you do that year-round?

I don't carry groceries home, as we live 5 miles up the hill from the nearest grocery store (besides I prefer the organic store across town, which is 7 miles away). But I do park in the stall furthest from the store's front door, and I do carry my bags to the car.

Not that that is giving me strong hands. My hands are not as strong in terms of the grip test they did on other senior athletes. So I'm looking to improve them. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

I reside in Skokie Illinois and I stretch and move my Fingers on a daily basis

This keeps my Fingers strong and flexible. I can feel the difference when I carry groceries home

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

So what do you think about these exercises? Are they useful? Have you tried them?  What other ways do you know to keep hands and fingers strong?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Ways to Exercise Hands and Fingers

Message 16 of 16

Last summer I was part of a nationwide senior athlete health and conditioning study. They were looking to see how much stronger we are than the non-athlete senior population as well as how much, if at all, healthier we are. Well, unsurprisingly, the results showed that senior athletes walk faster, have better balance and more mobility, are leaner, are on fewer prescriptions and have fewer diseases and conditions.

The tests also rated us against our peers. That rating showed that I don't have particularly strong hands. So this article caught my eye.

Web MD hand exercises slideshow: https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/ss/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises?ecd=soc_tw_171216_cons_ss_ha...

There are 10 exercises in the slideshow, but here are three of the slides:

webmd_rf_photo_of_fist_stretch.jpg

webmd_rf_photo_of_finger_lifts.jpg

webmd_rf_photo_of_thumb_touch_exercise.jpg

Kudos
Views
Replies