From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ways to Exercise Hands and Fingers

Message 1 of 16
How ungrateful. If you don't appreciate this, do your OWN research. Or perhaps you would rather pay a physical therapist to show you these exact exercises?
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

Well I am always knitting while watching TV.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Learn to play the piano.  You are never too old.  Sue

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

@MaureenM574524 wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the exercise diagram—while I don’t have arthritis, I do have a history of surgeries for carpal tunnel syndrome and “trigger fingers”. I prefer not to repeat the surgery experience and need to work at the stretching and tendon glides to diminish the “locking” effect in my digits. Thanks again!

@MaureenM574524 Here's hoping these exercises help you on your quest to avoid arthritis and more surgery.

BTB, I've been doing these exercises plus using wearable hand weights and palm sized foam balls to strengthen my hands and it has worked wonders. 

Best to you,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

Wow! Thanks for the exercise diagram—while I don’t have arthritis, I do have a history of surgeries for carpal tunnel syndrome and “trigger fingers”. I prefer not to repeat the surgery experience and need to work at the stretching and tendon glides to diminish the “locking” effect in my digits. Thanks again!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

@valerieo915427wrote:

I do have RA in my fingers,  I do exercise my fingers. finger to thumb, so they won deform anymore, thank for the the tip.

@valerieo915427  Good for yu for exercising your hands! I hope these exercises help you.

I've been doing them nearly daily and I think my hands are more agile because of it. Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

I do have RA in my fingers,  I do exercise my fingers. finger to thumb, so they won deform anymore, thank for the the tip.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

@k759465s wrote:

Thanks Epster! I couldn’t cut and paste the diagram from my phone!  These are considered the gold standard for range of motion exercises for the hands and come from a reputable hand clinic despite the date of the article. I use them myself as I have inflammatory arthritis 

@k759465s  No worries; happy to share that for you.

I used the diagram myself this morning. I don't >have< arthritis in my hands, but do notice stiffness in certain joints after using them certain ways.

I am trying to break the habit of steadying a water bottle with my little finger held under the bottle, supporting the weight. This action stresses the joint. Also I need to watch how I wrap my thumb and forefinger around the water bottle's neck while not drinking from it. That, too, stresses joints. So I'm being proactive by doing the exercises before I develop actual arthritis. I'm thinking this will buy me more arthritis-free years. (HOPING, really. Smiley Happy)

Thanks again for providing the exercises!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

Thanks Epster! I couldn’t cut and paste the diagram from my phone!  These are considered the gold standard for range of motion exercises for the hands and come from a reputable hand clinic despite the date of the article. I use them myself as I have inflammatory arthritis 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

@k759465s wrote:

As an occupational therapist, I agree that keeping your hands strong and agile helps you stay independent in your daily tasks. I recommend doing tendon gliding exercises. Here’s a research article that includes a great diagram of these exercises- hope this helps!

https://ajot.aota.org/pdfaccess.ashx?url=/data/journals/ajot/930394/164.pdf

@k759465s  Thanks!  

All,  here's that diagram:

tendon gliding.png

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season