Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Ways to Exercise Hands and Fingers

Last summer I was part of a nationwide senior athlete health and conditioning study. They were looking to see how much stronger we are than the non-athlete senior population as well as how much, if at all, healthier we are. Well, unsurprisingly, the results showed that senior athletes walk faster, have better balance and more mobility, are leaner, are on fewer prescriptions and have fewer diseases and conditions.

The tests also rated us against our peers. That rating showed that I don't have particularly strong hands. So this article caught my eye.

Web MD hand exercises slideshow: https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/ss/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises?ecd=soc_tw_171216_cons_ss_ha...

There are 10 exercises in the slideshow, but here are three of the slides:

webmd_rf_photo_of_fist_stretch.jpg

webmd_rf_photo_of_finger_lifts.jpg

webmd_rf_photo_of_thumb_touch_exercise.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Super Contributor

I have a slight tremor in my right hand,  I try to do craft stuff as a challenge.

Periodic Contributor

Thanks Epster! I couldn’t cut and paste the diagram from my phone!  These are considered the gold standard for range of motion exercises for the hands and come from a reputable hand clinic despite the date of the article. I use them myself as I have inflammatory arthritis 

Honored Social Butterfly

@k759465s wrote:

Thanks Epster! I couldn’t cut and paste the diagram from my phone!  These are considered the gold standard for range of motion exercises for the hands and come from a reputable hand clinic despite the date of the article. I use them myself as I have inflammatory arthritis 

@k759465s  No worries; happy to share that for you.

I used the diagram myself this morning. I don't >have< arthritis in my hands, but do notice stiffness in certain joints after using them certain ways.

I am trying to break the habit of steadying a water bottle with my little finger held under the bottle, supporting the weight. This action stresses the joint. Also I need to watch how I wrap my thumb and forefinger around the water bottle's neck while not drinking from it. That, too, stresses joints. So I'm being proactive by doing the exercises before I develop actual arthritis. I'm thinking this will buy me more arthritis-free years. (HOPING, really. :))

Thanks again for providing the exercises!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Learn to play the piano.  You are never too old.  Sue

Contributor

I do have RA in my fingers,  I do exercise my fingers. finger to thumb, so they won deform anymore, thank for the the tip.

Honored Social Butterfly

@valerieo915427wrote:

I do have RA in my fingers,  I do exercise my fingers. finger to thumb, so they won deform anymore, thank for the the tip.

@valerieo915427  Good for yu for exercising your hands! I hope these exercises help you.

I've been doing them nearly daily and I think my hands are more agile because of it. 🙂

Best regards,

Epster

Periodic Contributor

As an occupational therapist, I agree that keeping your hands strong and agile helps you stay independent in your daily tasks. I recommend doing tendon gliding exercises. Here’s a research article that includes a great diagram of these exercises- hope this helps!

https://ajot.aota.org/pdfaccess.ashx?url=/data/journals/ajot/930394/164.pdf

Regular Contributor

Well I am always knitting while watching TV.  

Contributor

Wow! Thanks for the exercise diagram—while I don’t have arthritis, I do have a history of surgeries for carpal tunnel syndrome and “trigger fingers”. I prefer not to repeat the surgery experience and need to work at the stretching and tendon glides to diminish the “locking” effect in my digits. Thanks again!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaureenM574524 wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the exercise diagram—while I don’t have arthritis, I do have a history of surgeries for carpal tunnel syndrome and “trigger fingers”. I prefer not to repeat the surgery experience and need to work at the stretching and tendon glides to diminish the “locking” effect in my digits. Thanks again!

@MaureenM574524 Here's hoping these exercises help you on your quest to avoid arthritis and more surgery.

BTB, I've been doing these exercises plus using wearable hand weights and palm sized foam balls to strengthen my hands and it has worked wonders. 

Best to you,

Epster

Honored Social Butterfly

@k759465s wrote:

As an occupational therapist, I agree that keeping your hands strong and agile helps you stay independent in your daily tasks. I recommend doing tendon gliding exercises. Here’s a research article that includes a great diagram of these exercises- hope this helps!

https://ajot.aota.org/pdfaccess.ashx?url=/data/journals/ajot/930394/164.pdf

@k759465s  Thanks!  

All,  here's that diagram:

tendon gliding.png

Trusted Contributor

I reside in Skokie Illinois and I stretch and move my Fingers on a daily basis

This keeps my Fingers strong and flexible. I can feel the difference when I carry groceries home

Honored Social Butterfly

@roberts258723 wrote:

I reside in Skokie Illinois and I stretch and move my Fingers on a daily basis

This keeps my Fingers strong and flexible. I can feel the difference when I carry groceries home

@roberts258723   I know Skokie! I was born on the north shore. 🙂

You continue to share tidbits with us that show what a great example you are! It is awesome that you walk to the grocery store. Purely awesome!  Do you do that year-round?

I don't carry groceries home, as we live 5 miles up the hill from the nearest grocery store (besides I prefer the organic store across town, which is 7 miles away). But I do park in the stall furthest from the store's front door, and I do carry my bags to the car.

Not that that is giving me strong hands. My hands are not as strong in terms of the grip test they did on other senior athletes. So I'm looking to improve them. 

Honored Social Butterfly

So what do you think about these exercises? Are they useful? Have you tried them?  What other ways do you know to keep hands and fingers strong?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP