Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Staying Active Despite Setbacks (like injuries or surgeries)

Contributor

Staying Active Despite Setbacks (like injuries or surgeries)

I have managed to stay fit and healthy despite challenges like having both hips replaced at age 60 and a heart valve replacement at age 64.

My blog chronicles my adventures in rehab and staying active.
https://bionicoldguy.blog/

The secret is a positive attitude and working around limitations.

Because of the hips I had to give up running so I got intoin walking, hiking, bicycling and paddling. Rehab from the heart valve was tougher than expected because I got fluid around the lungs (pleural effusion) as a side effect. But I gutted it out and an now fitter than ever and it feels great.

My latest adventure is breaking my collarbone in a freak bike past (see the blog post "rehabbing, again!" for details). No problem- walking and stationary cycling for 6 weeks, then some work to get mobility and strength back on the right side. Onward!

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive blog about your heart valve replacement.  I may be facing the same surgery--minus the A-fib part--and information is crucial.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Good luck with your surgery, Getting the heart valve replaced was one of the best things I've ever done. I feel a lot more vigorous now, at 70, than I did at 65 before the surgery. Adam Pick's website is a gold mine of information on heart valve surgery

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP