Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

Eating Healthy Everyday!!

April 9, 2017

Hello My Community and Happy Spring!

It is wonderful to be progressing with my Posterial Laminectomy Surgery.  It has 

been a "difficult " time for me .  I start each morning being grateful because it's

difficult getting into a good sleeping position.  These 9 mos. have been painful , but I keep moving forward to complete Wellness.

I have been trying to eat healthy too.  I saw the Air Fryer on TV and some of you

might already have one. For me it was fantastic!! I cooked my first meat and did not believe that 1 table spoon of oil could fry several pieces of chicken. The chicken was so brown and crispy. So, finally I bought a good useful item. I also ordered the Air Fryer cook book that was a good price also. Amazon Prime did get it delivered in 2 days.  

Looking forward to cooking more foods from the Cook Book.  Hope with less oil

that I can also lose a few lbs. That was one of my goals too.  Perhaps try a few

deserts since Spring and Summer have lots ofreal fresh fruits ( the early fruits doesn't have a taste or smell to me ).

So, I am happy for the wonderful weather and looking to more progress with my

Recovery.

Happy Spring to each of you as we enjoy the Newness of each day!!!

ENJOY !!!!

Contributor

Way to go! Thanks for sharing
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Livin with Crohn's Disease since age 3, and now living with a scant 8' of intestines, at age 78 I'm "aware" of what I eat.  I don't eat meat, although I do eat eggs from my own organically-raised chickens, and fruit and vegetables from my trees and garden, as well as organic produce and whole grains from the store.  I do eat things that perhaps aren't considered "healthy" for the normal person, but I do everything possible to keep weight on since my absorption capabilities are limited.  However, I think that if we concentrate on healthy foods, even an occasional "unhealthy" food is okay.  After all, we have to make our mind feel good, too, and that benefits the body.  So, in a nutshell (I do eat some nuts but NOT the shells (joke intended), I eat whole grains, organic produce,  fresh home-grown eggs, organic yogurt, and organic either soy milk or carrageenan-free almond milk.  And an occasional trip to the do-it-yourself yogurt shop!  And Starbucks for a hot chocolate with no vanilla syrup.  Healthy body, smiling mind. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ip3285 wrote:

Livin with Crohn's Disease since age 3, and now living with a scant 8' of intestines, at age 78 I'm "aware" of what I eat.  I don't eat meat, although I do eat eggs from my own organically-raised chickens, and fruit and vegetables from my trees and garden, as well as organic produce and whole grains from the store.  I do eat things that perhaps aren't considered "healthy" for the normal person, but I do everything possible to keep weight on since my absorption capabilities are limited.  However, I think that if we concentrate on healthy foods, even an occasional "unhealthy" food is okay.  After all, we have to make our mind feel good, too, and that benefits the body.  So, in a nutshell (I do eat some nuts but NOT the shells (joke intended), I eat whole grains, organic produce,  fresh home-grown eggs, organic yogurt, and organic either soy milk or carrageenan-free almond milk.  And an occasional trip to the do-it-yourself yogurt shop!  And Starbucks for a hot chocolate with no vanilla syrup.  Healthy body, smiling mind. 

@ip3285   I love your "Healthy Body Smiling Mind" and I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion ❤️❤️

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos

I try to eat blueberries, the super fruit, kale, the super vegetable, and quinoa, the super grain, every day. I avoid beef but often eat fish and chicken. I eat no pastry and little bread, usually whole wheat. By eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, I have enjoyed excellent health and kept my weight, blood pressure, C-reactive protein, triglycerides, and cholesterol in the normal range. I drink no liquids with calories aside from skim milk and wine occasionally. I truly enjoy food and have found that nutritious foods are also very delicious.

0 Kudos
Contributor

As an engineer who has dealt with complex systems with multiple variables for 40+ years my guess is the authors of the French Fry study have found correlation but not causality.  To conduct this study properly one should have a random (age, gender, BMI, etc) group to whom you randomly assigned consumption of either French Fries or, say, an equal caloric amount of boiled potatoes and followed their health for perhaps 10 years.  Otherwise, all the cofactors will make finding causality impossible.  They touch on this by recognizing that eating French Fries likely correlates with other factors like more general unhealthy esting.  So, I'll categorize this as pseudo science aimed at a 'political' agenda.

We eat an organic plant based diet - nothing with a mother or a face. It is delicious and hopefully a healthy choice. Would never go back to eating the SAD diet, we do not take any Rx and grateful for that.
Honored Social Butterfly

@sh3451800 wrote:
We eat an organic plant based diet - nothing with a mother or a face. It is delicious and hopefully a healthy choice. Would never go back to eating the SAD diet, we do not take any Rx and grateful for that.

I think it is hysterical to refer to the Standard American Diet as the SAD diet..  what a play on words.  However, it is not very effective.  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just back from a whirlwind trip to another state. We packed sardines, bananas, boiled eggs, veggie rich whole wheat pasta salad, nuts, apples, avocado, organic crackers and some bruschetta. Also lettuce and an olive, yogurt/mustard, onion capers mix and three slices of organic whole wheat bread. 

We ate sardines and olive mix on lettuce; fruit for an on-the-road picnic; pasta salad for dinner (carbo loading before an athletic event); boiled egg and avocado on toast and a banana for breakfast; a simple ham sandwich (the free athlete's lunch: worst-for-you food all trip) for lunch, and stopped at Walmart for an organic salad and some calorie free, salt free, carb free, sugar free dressing (with some sunflower seeds on top) for dinner and an organic apple, split a banana at around midnight (we arrived home at 6AM).

Easy peasy to eat what serves your body while on the road. Really. 

Or so I think, anyway. 🙂

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

I adhere to the same exact dietary regime and lifestyle, and reap the benefits

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, us too - 100% Vegan & no one believes our age - big benefits in health are the bonus for respecting all living things & our beautiful planet!
Contributor

I eat exactly the same way and truly believe that this dietary regime is very benificial for all people.

Contributor

YES----------------- however Money is always a concern.
Contributor

I don't remember it, but I have been told that my first non-baby food snack was a french fry. I am now 75 years old and I ain't dead yet! I am convinced that one day some "scientist" is going to come out with a study that states oxygen is deadly!

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Don't hold your breath. It'll come.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Amen!  Another undoubtably poorly conducted study to prove the authors bias.

Trusted Contributor

Flaxseed meal has been the best health food staple in my kitchen. Over the years I have discovered so many ways to include it in my meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks); whether I'm baking, juicing, sautéing, grilling, roasting, etc., flaxseed meal always adds flavor and never disappointes my tastebuds!

Menopause has been barely a blip on my health radar-thankfully.

At 60, I'm still waiting for the hot flashes to attack.  After testing my estrogen levels,  my doctor suggested that I may not have the same experiences that other women in my family are going through.  Whew...I hope that proves to be true.

Fey Lady
Contributor

Yes, money is a concern.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Calhounwoman wrote:

Flaxseed meal has been the best health food staple in my kitchen. Over the years I have discovered so many ways to include it in my meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks); whether I'm baking, juicing, sautéing, grilling, roasting, etc., flaxseed meal always adds flavor and never disappointes my tastebuds!

Menopause has been barely a blip on my health radar-thankfully.

At 60, I'm still waiting for the hot flashes to attack.  After testing my estrogen levels,  my doctor suggested that I may not have the same experiences that other women in my family are going through.  Whew...I hope that proves to be true.

@Calhounwoman Oh do let us know how that goes! I'm 58 and out of menopause already, and I didn't use flaxseed meal --though I would have had I known it would reduce hot flashes. Instead I made motherwort tincture. That stopped heart palpitations and hot flashes in seconds.

DH used flaxseed more than me: he adds it to everything.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunday46 To your improved health!  Huzzbah!

I like and agree with your approach. No single food, vitamin or potion has ever been the 'answer' for me. Rather a healthy balanced diet, a balanced approach to life including a healthy lifestyle and stress management have been the formula for me. I have been advised to stay away from flaxseed due to side effects by my homeopathic Dr.  

@Epster wrote:

@sunday46 To your improved health!  Huzzbah!

Contributor

I agree with the findings about fries. I started having serious trouble after many years of eating fast food in general, It all started over 40 years ago with so called creamer for your coffee, which is nothing but high frutose corn syrup. I started having stomach cramps and felt weird . I also had the same reaction to fried foods We now have a generation of junk food eaters , popping purple and other pills not realizing or not wanting to know that the foods, especially with preservatives, they're eating are killing them. The doctors in general don't have time to find out what "small" problems you have and just give you another pill to "fix" it until they, the chemical companies, have a recall because the pill is destroying something else in your body, or you get something worse.
Get a clue seniors, you are responsible for your own body and you need to at read the ingredients and information on the packages or bottles, ask questions or at least look it up on the computer.
Oh just in case your wondering, I'm a soon to be 74 year old female who is not on any drugs, only natural thyroid and vitamins. I can still have spells of not feeling well and the first thing I think of is , what did I eat , and I usually find the answer there.
Trusted Contributor

@sc7258Thank you for reminding us that we need to be our own health and wellness advocates.  Afterall, we are the only one living in this body!

Thank you for your inspiring insight...74 and drug free; You are my kind of mentor!

Hoooooyaaaaaahhhhhh!

Fey Lady
Honored Social Butterfly

@Calhounwoman wrote:

Thank you for your inspiring insight...74 and drug free; You are my kind of mentor!

Hoooooyaaaaaahhhhhh!

@sc7258 And a Huzzbah! from me! My kind of mentor as well!

0 Kudos
Contributor

oreo2006  

I eat vegies, salads, fruits with my normal meals every day. I stay away from bread.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP