Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Do you use CBD for your health?

CBD oil is legal in all 50 states because it is made from the hemp plant. CBC oil does not contain mind altering THC chemical found in cannabis.

I recently discovered the value of taking a few drops of CBD oil under my tongue prior to going to bed. As a result of using about 5 mg., I go to sleep quicker and have less pain due to arthritis next day. 

I was wondering if other AARP members are using CBD oil for their health? 

For those who do use CBD oil, what has been your results?

"I know this thread is a bit old, but the topic is still very relevant today! I too have discovered the benefits of CBD oil, especially for improving sleep quality and reducing everyday stress.CBD has indeed come a long way in terms of legality and public acceptance. And now, it's available in so many forms โ€” from oils and tinctures to edibles and topicals. If you're interested in diving deeper into the world of CBD and cannabis culture, you might want to check out Dank Shop. They offer a wide range of CBD products, along with other related items and informative resources. It's a great place to explore if you're looking to expand your knowledge or try different kinds of CBD products.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Now, there are many other hemp derived cannabinoids to consider for pain reduction.

In case you wonder what is behind the recent proliferation of smoke shops, it is probably the sale of cannabinoids derived from industrial hemp. There are about 2 dozen smoke shops within a one mile radius of my house in Illinois. I think there are more smoke shops than liquor stores and taverns. It's due to a loophole in the 2018 Farm Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_farm_bill

Apparently, 2018 Farm Act allows the manufacture and sale of cannabinoids synthesized from CBD which is extracted from hemp. And, in states where marijuana is legal, such sales avoid special taxes. These cannabinoids not only include regular THC (Delta 9 THC) but also THCp which is 30 times stronger than THC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabiphorol

THCp may be illegal but it has not yet been contested, yet.

Some cannabinoids are outlawed in some states but THCp is legal in all 50 states.

You can legally buy hemp derived cannabinoids from:

https://www.3chi.com

https://vivimu.com/

(Check out their price for CBD, especially when they have a 40% off sale.)

They tell you which states they can't ship a specific cannabinoid to.

I have only experienced slight pain reduction with CBD but, in my experimentation, CBC and THCv show more promise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabichromene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabivarin

THCv is especially interesting because its effects are the opposite of THC.  It is a stimulant that improves mental clarity.  And, even though it is a stimulant, THCv seems to reduce my hand tremors.

Incidentally, the markup on gummies is ridiculously high therefore I'm going to make my own gummies from distillates and isolates.

And, whereas THCo acetate (psychedelic) doesn't reduce my pain while it is active, I have less pain about 12 hours later during the hangover phase.

0 Kudos

CBD smoking concentrate is a wonderful alternative to tobacco because, firstly, it causes no addiction, unlike nicotine, and secondly, it has a much stronger sedative efficacy. I confirm that as a person who was a heavy smoker for 10 years. CBD allowed me to give up smoking cigarettes though I tried a multitude of ways to quit smoking tobacco, and none of them was helpful. Eventually, I was in total despair till I found out about CBD. At first, I was enough skeptical, but after3 months of therapy, I noticed the first positive changes. After a year of the treatment course, I gave up smoking utterly. At present, I use mostly CBD oil or CBD in form of sweets to get rid of unnecessary anxieties .

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I came across an excellent paper entitled "Cannabidiol as an intervention for Addictive Behaviors: A Systematic Review of the Evidence" published in https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4444130/. This study clearly states that CBD may have therapeutic properties on opioid, cocaine, and psychostimulant addiction, and some preliminary data suggest that it may be beneficial in cannabis and tobacco addiction in humans. Please read the whole article for detailed information.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I have been using CBD mixed with epsom bath salts in hot baths to help soothe my muscles after working out. The anti-inflammatory effects of the CBD and epsom salts combined with the warm water is *chef's kiss

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

FIBROMYALGIA AND CBD:

If you are suffering from Fibromyalgia (FM), CBD, instead of Opioids, could be a good remedy for this debilitating health condition experienced by 10% (mostly women) of the U.S. population. A recent study (

https://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900(21)00220-0/fulltext ), involving 878 individuals, conducted by the University of Michigan found that: (1) 72% of the participants with FM substituted CBD for pain medications such as opioids with hardly any noticeable side effects, and (2) 72%-94% of reported substitutions resulted in stopped or reduced use of medications. The Michigan research further supports an earlier study on the effect of CBD for FM reported by the National Academy of Sciences in 2017 (https://www.nap.edu/catalog/24625/the-health-effects-of-cannabis-and-cannabinoids-the-current-state).

The most common symptoms of FM are widespread pain all over the body, fatigue, depression and anxiety, sleep disorder, headaches, inadequate cognitive functions, digestive problems etc. Although the cause of FM is unknown, it can be effectively treated with safe and proper medications like CBD combined with improved life-style.

As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, it is important to obtain CBD products from a reliable source. 

- Pilgrim 241

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

CBD and COVID -19

A recently-published article entitled "Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants" in the Journal of Natural Products by Oregon State University Scientists reveals that CBD-A (Cannabidiolic Acid) and CBG-A (Cannabigerolic Acid), derived from hemp, have the ability to inhibit the virus that causes COVID-19 from entering human cells by binding to SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. These Cannabinoids, either isolated or present in hemp extracts, show promise in preventing/treating SARS-CoV-2 infection.
The full article may be accessed through the link:
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

As a sequel to the above article, Oregon State University released a Video, HEMP vs COVID, today describing the potential use of Cannabinoids in Hemp for treating COVID-19 infections. They are planning on conducting clinical trials fairly soon. Here is the link: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJApdG9vuOw

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My apologies for quoting 10% of the U.S. population afflicted  by Fibromyalgia. It is 10 million.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi buddy! Awesome sharing with full of information I was searching for. Your complete guidance gave me a wonderful end up. Great going.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That helped me a lot with my Arthritis and Osteoarthritis

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Hi!  I found this information really interesting.  Is this something that requires a prescription from my doctor, and can it be found in a regular pharmacy?  Thanks for the info!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You don't need a prescription from a doctor or go to a pharmacy to get CBD. The best way to get it is on-line through a reliable company that manufactures high-quality CBD-infused products. I have been getting my supplies from Delta Botanicals (www.deltacbd.com) since 2018. They have a variety of products (tinctures, gummies, honey, cooking oil etc.) at reasonable prices with free shipping. From my experience, a good starting dose is 10 mg -30 mg CBD per day and slowly increase it to 100 mg to 200 mg CBD per day depending on the severity of your condition. Such a self-titration method will allow you to reach the required optimum dose for your situation. If you are taking the oral tincture, it is important to administer it sublingually since the oromucosal lining,

with its rich blood supply, enhances the bioavailability of CBD to your system.

Good Luck!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I use CBD cream for my back and knees pain, i didnโ€™t know about the cream earlier but last week i went to my doctor because i had such a bad pain back which i had for years but it started to be stronger earlier so i had  to go to my doctor for a check and he give a recipe for CBD cream for every night use, 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, I use the CBD products as per directed by the physician. I was injured in an accident & mussels were too weak, then my doctor suggested CBD products intake. For 1 year I am using these products for medical purposes.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

CBD and ZOLOFT:

Anxiety, Stress, Depression and Social Isolation caused by the current COVID-19 Pandemic has resulted in an unexpected shortage of the antidepressant drug Zoloft and its generic counterpart, Sertraline. FDA placed Zoloft and Sertraline on its โ€œSHORTAGE LIST" on May 29,2020. Zoloft is manufactured by Pfizer and Sertraline by generic pharmaceutical companies such as Lupin, Accord Healthcare and InvaGen Pharmaceuticals. Zoloft as well as Sertraline are used to treat anxiety, stress, depression, OCD, PTSD etc. experienced by a large segment of the population.

How do we counter this situation? A simple answer is CBD. CBD could be a viable alternative to reduce anxiety and stress and is currently used by people all over the world. And there is no shortage of CBD in the U.S. or elsewhere. As I posted earlier, I get my CBD-infused products from a reliable source called Delta Botanicals. They have ample supplies of high quality oral tinctures, gummies, cooking oil, topicals etc. at reasonable price.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Recently, I bought 1 g. of pure CBD powder for about $40 (including shipping cost) and dissolved it in 20 g. alcohol, which makes an approximate 5% solution. I started taking 0.5 ml, which is about 25 mg. CBD, once in my morning coffee and another in a cup of milk before I go to bed. There was no noticeable effect until I increased the dosage to 75 mg. twice a day. Then it seemed to reduce my pain, maybe, 25%, and improve my sleep. So, I found a cheaper source and ordered 3.5 g. for $69, which I should get by the end of the month.

This is the first seller:

https://www.thecbdistillery.com/product/99-cbd-isolate-powder-from-hemp/

I will tell you the second seller, after I have tested the product.

I notice that there are Chinese sellers on Alibaba who sell it much cheaper than American Companies but I have never used Alibaba before.

Contributor

It's important to make sure you purchase Certified CBD. I order mine from Green Compass Online.

CertifiedCBD.GreenCompassGlobal.com

I have been taking it for 3 months now and it has been a game changer for me.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have been using CBD for the past two years with great success to relieve my pain, anxiety, stress, bloating etc. The products I like best are manufactured and sold by a Baltimore-based company called Delta Botanicals. Delta has high-quality, CBD-infused products ranging from oral tinctures, gummies, cooking oil, topicals to pet products. Delta was fecently featured by AARP. Watch the AARP video on CBD: https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2019/cbd-oil-beyond-the-hype.html that includes parts of video supplied by Delta.

0 Kudos

What brand or where did you purchase the oil.  Thx

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

There are a number of companies selling CBD products in the U.S. The brand I trust the most is Delta Botanicals, Inc. (www.deltacbd.com) based in Baltimore, MD. Delta has high-quality and reliable products manufactured by Johns Hopkins University-trained chemists and shipping is free with no minimum purchase. I have been using Delta CBD for over 3 years with great results.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Never heard of this CBD before. What exactly is it, if not another dangerous drug? My husband could certainly use something to help him rest at night, but he takes other drugs for  health conditions.

Sandee2
Regular Contributor

@ss11943859 wrote:

Never heard of this CBD before. What exactly is it, if not another dangerous drug? My husband could certainly use something to help him rest at night, but he takes other drugs for  health conditions.

CBD is a natural product and is not dangerous to your  health.  Discovered in 1940, CBD is derived mainly from hemp and is non-psychoactive unlike its cousin THC that is associated with marijuana. CBD is produced from the hemp plant by a supercritical CO2 extraction process without the aid of any additional chemicals. It is usually diluted further with carrier oils such as coconut oil for the end use. CBD is a natural remedy for many health issues such as chronic pain and anxiety. This is confirmed by several scientific studies published in recent literature. There are negligible side-effects reported by CBD users. Please read this excellent WHO Report published in 2018 for comprehensive information on CBD and its uses: https://www.who.int/medicines/access/controlled-substances/CannabidiolCriticalReview.pdf. During the public hearing organized by FDA on May 31, 2019, Lisa Gill, an investigative reporter with Consumer Reports, made a presentaion on the current status of CBD and its use by the public in the US. This is defintely worth reading.

Finally, John Bunyan's main character, Christian, in Pilgrim's Progress was not aware of CBD at that time (17th century). If he had, he would have used it and made his pilgrimage less tortuous than the thorny path he took from the "City of Destruction" to the "Celestial City" to attain his salvation!

-Pilgrim 241

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In my previous post, I missed the link to the Lisa Gill presentation at the FDA Hearing in May 2019. Here it is: https://www.fda.gov/media/128473/download

This package summarizes the results of a national survey of 4355 adult Americans and their views on CBD. This is an excellent compilation of very useful and timely data for the public.

-Pilgrim 241

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Discovered in 1940, CBD is derived mainly from the hemp plant and is non-psychoactive unlike its cousin THC, associated with marijuana. CBD is a natural product and is not dangerous to your health. CBD oil is produced from hemp by a supercritical CO2 extraction process without the aid of any additional chemicals. It is commonly diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil for the ultimate use by the consumer. CBD is a natural remedy for many health issues such as chronic pain and anxiety . This is confirmed by several scientific studies published in recent literature. There are negligible side-effects reported by CBD users. During the public hearing on May 31, 2019, organized by FDA, Lisa Gill, an investigative reporter from Consumer Reports, made this presentation (Presentation- Lisa Gill 5-31-2019 Public Hearing.pdf) on the current status of CBD and its use by the public in the US. It is an excellent compilation of data and worth reading. Another worthwhile source of information is the WHO Report on CBD published in 2018 (world-health-organization-cannabidiol-cbd-pre-review-report.pdf).

Finally, John Bunyan's main character, Christian, in Pilgrim's Progress was not aware of CBD at that time (17th century). If he had, he could have used it and made his pilgrimage less tortuous than the thorny path he took from the "City of Destruction" to the "Celestial City" to attain his salvation!

-   Pilgrim 241

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes.  I have had RA pretty severe.  Nsaids on a regular basis aren't good.  Been on all immunosuppresants.  Drops at night really help me to relax and sleep.

Periodic Contributor

in fact cbd and cannabis doesn't cause addiction in the comparison to alcohol or cigarettes

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP