Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Grieving Period

My mother has been depressed since the passing of her husband last year.  How long does grief last?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Periodic Contributor

Hi Gerald,

I have experienced profound loss as well and, while grief never really "goes away." There is definitely a lessening of pain that occurs over time. I would often become frustrated when others had an expectation for me with regarding to the time it would take me to heal, and I would encourage you to remind you mother that she must give herself grace in her healing process.

~P

View solution in original post

Regular Contributor

The grieving period after a loved one passes is different for everyone. The amount of time a person grieves also varies depending upon the severity of the loss they have experienced. We all must work our way through the cycle of grief . There are 5 stages to this cycle:
1.) Denial and isolation
2.) Anger
3.)Bargaining
4.) Depression
5.) Acceptance
Accepting a loss does not necessarily mean the person is no longer grieving. In fact, many grief experts say that grief can continue for a lifetime after a major loss, and coping with the loss only becomes easier over time. 
Grief is a very personal, nuanced, and complicated process. It will not look the same for any two people who are experiencing it. I've found the best thing that you can do for a loved one who is grieving is to be there for them, let them talk about their loss when they feel the need to do so and pray for God's comfort during such a difficult time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeraldAndersonEDOL wrote:

My mother has been depressed since the passing of her husband last year.  How long does grief last?

👋 @GeraldAndersonEDOL if she enjoys your company, try to spend as much time with her as you can. This way when she is no longer with you, yes you will grieve, but hold on to the MEMORIES you made while being there for her 🤗 You are an awesome son for CARING about her grief!!!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeraldAndersonEDOL wrote:

👋 @GeraldAndersonEDOL if she enjoys your company, try to spend as much time with her as you can. This way when she is no longer with you, yes you will grieve, but hold on to the MEMORIES you made while being there for her 🤗 You are an awesome son for CARING about her grief!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The grieving period after a loved one passes is different for everyone. The amount of time a person grieves also varies depending upon the severity of the loss they have experienced. We all must work our way through the cycle of grief . There are 5 stages to this cycle:
1.) Denial and isolation
2.) Anger
3.)Bargaining
4.) Depression
5.) Acceptance
Accepting a loss does not necessarily mean the person is no longer grieving. In fact, many grief experts say that grief can continue for a lifetime after a major loss, and coping with the loss only becomes easier over time. 
Grief is a very personal, nuanced, and complicated process. It will not look the same for any two people who are experiencing it. I've found the best thing that you can do for a loved one who is grieving is to be there for them, let them talk about their loss when they feel the need to do so and pray for God's comfort during such a difficult time.

Periodic Contributor

Hi Gerald,

I have experienced profound loss as well and, while grief never really "goes away." There is definitely a lessening of pain that occurs over time. I would often become frustrated when others had an expectation for me with regarding to the time it would take me to heal, and I would encourage you to remind you mother that she must give herself grace in her healing process.

~P

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP