Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ“š Grief & Loss Books!

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

(1) Have YOU read any books that has/is HELPING YOU? ๐Ÿค”

(2) Check out the books OTHER MEMBERS have mentioned.

Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy 

A friend of mine suggested a book entitled Journey of Souls by Michael Newton PhD.  I have a thing about having to finish a book so I am getting close and will see it through to the end. The beginning of the book seemed ok, but the deeper he got into the case studies of past life regressions, the more tedious the reading became for me. My friend obviously liked the book or she wouldn't have recommended it to me. That's how it is with us humans, we are individuals with our own likes and dislikes.

Marcy

Regular Contributor

To the people who have lost a son or daughter:

Back some years back my son and his new wife were in a fatal car accident.  I bought so many books! But of all those books which I read there was one that stood out. I gave all my books away to other grievers but I think now I might rebuy my favorite- โ€œWhen Bad Things Happen to Good Peopleโ€by Harold Kushner.  It really spoke to me when I lost my wonderful adult child.You can of course get it with Amazon.

Maybe it will again with a lost spouse.  

Blessings to all,

Kristine

Conversationalist

Thank You for your suggestion.  I lost my son 6 months before my husband died.  I lost my brother one month before my husband died.  I am searching for guidance on how to cope with all this loss.  I have read Widow to Widow and I have ordered the book you mentioned along with Different After You.  I struggle to find "purpose" in my life without all the people that I loved.  One wonders how much grief one can handle.

Trusted Contributor

Cadee, sorry to hear about your losses.  I can only imagine.  I was at a grief support mtg this summer and sat next to a neat woman who in a span of 2 years lost her husband, brother, and both sons who were in their 50s.  She was talking to me and sharing concern for me.  I thought, man if she can get through those losses, I can get through the loss of my wife a couple months earlier.  Inspiration is around us all and if we look for it, we see it.

I hope you find the book that brings you peace, Bill

Conversationalist

Bill, Thank You for your response.  I began reading Bad Things Happen to Good People and saw that I was not able to continue.  I am coming up to the one year date of my husband's death and feel very vulnerable right now.  I decided to go to the cemetery to order the grave stone for my husband.  There is a young man there that has stayed in touch with me to see how I was doing every month since my son and husband's funerals.  He spent almost three hours with me and helped me to design and order the grave stone. We chatted about his family and mine and what my future plans are.  He went with me to my husband and son's graves to put flowers on them.    I found this visit to be comforting and it gave me a sense of "purpose" in my life.  As you said "Inspiration is around us all and if we look for it, we will see it."  It truly is a blessing for you to reach out to me as you did.  Thank You

Trusted Contributor

Cadee, you are very welcome, have a great afternoon.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ฃ  1 Step At A Time!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy , I read this article in the current month's issue of Brain & Life magazine. It is a very short article and I found the perspectives of this doctor (on grief) following a near death experience to be interesting.

palliative-care-doctor-talks-about-living-with-loss

Marcy

Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ฃ  1 Step At A Time!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I noticed that Brain & Life magazine has a couple of articles on grief in the August/September issue. It is a free magazine that you can receive digitally and/or via mail. One of the articles is by Anderson Cooper who talks about the loss of his mother and the podcast that he did as part of his healing process. I haven't listened to it, but the podcast title is All There Is. 

Marcy

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1) Have YOU read any books that has/is HELPING YOU? 

(2) Check out the books OTHER MEMBERS have mentioned.

Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm reading Life After Loss Conquering Grief and Finding Hope by Raymond Moody Jr., M.D. and Dianne Arcangel. It is an older book but still very relevant. The book is unique because the authors present male and female perspectives.

Trusted Contributor

I'll check it out.  I'm reading a book by a man who is a widower at this point.  Its called "The Widower's Notebook" a memoir by Jonathan Santlofer.  His perspective is different that the other books by female authors.  Still so many similarities in the grief process.  

Bill

Bronze Conversationalist

It's good to hear of help for the widower!

Trusted Contributor

I also started reading a good book on grief.  Its titled "I was not ready to say goodbye" by Brook Neal and Pamela Blair.  It seems pretty complete and is allowing me to help my adult children as well.

Bill

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous This week I started reading Different After You Rediscovering Yourself and Healing After Grief and Trauma. I am only a few chapters in, but already I can relate and feel like it is going to be a beneficial read. I don't think the author intends for the book to be consumed all at once, but rather in smaller digestible pieces.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is AWESOME dear Marcy @MarcyW882921 ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿฅณ!!! Luv you my friend, Nicole ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

โ–ถ๏ธ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

@Anonymous This week I started reading Different After You Rediscovering Yourself and Healing After Grief and Trauma. I am only a few chapters in, but already I can relate and feel like it is going to be a beneficial read. I don't think the author intends for the book to be consumed all at once, but rather in smaller digestible pieces.โ—€๏ธ

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ“šBooks are an awesome source of information and comfort! Grief & Loss Team ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous A friend of mine told me about going to a psychic after his wife passed away. He said it was comforting to him and he gave me the psychic's name and number. I was curious and found this very short book written by the psychic. If your mind is open to this concept, the book is... On Death and Grieving: A Psychic Medium's Perspective.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Marcy @MarcyW882921 , I am the BIGGEST "scardy" (spelling ๐Ÿ™„) cat!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

But sounds like FUN!

So have you gone or plan to? ๐Ÿค”

Nicole ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous After reading the book, I went to a relatively small group presentation that he was doing. It was kind of freaky because of some things he knew. I picked up his card, but have not moved on scheduling an individual session. I haven't ruled out doing it in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (Tuesday 5/30/23)

๐Ÿ‘‰Link to workshop๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

Tuesday, May 30 11:00 AM PST | 2:00 PM EST.

HEATHER HAS A FREE EVENT. Free Grief Journaling Workshop with Heather Stang. MAY 30TH (2023)

THANK YOU MARCY @MarcyW882921 FOR TELLING US ABOUT HER BOOK BELOW ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

โ–ถ๏ธ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

Mindfulness & Grief by Heather Stang. It is an 8-week guide with many breathing, meditation, journaling, and overall mindfulness exercises.โ—€๏ธ

Bronze Conversationalist

@Spring2023Ohhhh I'm sorry I missed this event. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Marcy

Bronze Conversationalist

Mindfulness & Grief by Heather Stang. It is an 8-week guide with many breathing, meditation, journaling, and overall mindfulness exercises.

Bronze Conversationalist

There is a book company called PureRead. It's a series of books mostly about orphans. Set in the Victorian Age. Where children had to work in mills, match factories etc., in horrendous conditions. The characters are depicted in their rise out of adversity through their strength, faith and values. The backgrounds and language on the Victorian Age is on the mark. For instance, when a woman married her money and property were taken from her. And controlled by her husband. Usually someone her parents or family chose for her. Lots of grief and sorrow in these books. But all end with satisfying conclusions and hopeful endings. It's good escape reading. There's no violence or bad language in these books. It takes skillful writers to write what seems like simple stories. I have a simple mind. And I like to see others climb out of sorrow into better times. You can find PureRead books on Amazon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ“šBooks can be a source of comfort! Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Nicole. Where to fรฌnd the list of books?

I have not but would love to read some of them.

Conversationalist

I just put one on hold for myself at the library.  I saw the author on a video but I haven't even read it yet, so I will wait to see if I recommend it.  It's actually more about finding out who you are after widowhood.  The author is a widow herself.  I'll let you know more later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Thank you SO MUCH Carolyn @CarolynS674392 , Nicole ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

โžก๏ธ@CarolynS674392 wrote:

I just put one on hold for myself at the library.  I saw the author on a video but I haven't even read it yet, so I will wait to see if I recommend it.  It's actually more about finding out who you are after widowhood.  The author is a widow herself.  I'll let you know more later.โฌ…๏ธ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP