WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Death of a child

Message 1 of 4

@shawver2010 I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can imagine the pain you are feeling. 

There is an organization called "The Compassionate Friends" which focuses on support for people who have lost a child (of any age) in their lives. They have a great website - how to find support, including local support groups for those who've lost a child, helpful articles etc. 

We lost my niece to suicide in 2012 and the devastation was terrible. My sister (her mother) found great solace from The Compassionate Friends and attended their conference (they have one coming up in July - info on the website). It was extremely helpful to her. Perhaps it will help you too.

Loss is such a difficult thing - there is no "right" way to do it - no set timeline. Be gentle with yourself and allow the ups and downs. 

Our thoughts are with you - please keep reaching out - I'd love to hear more about your son and how you are doing as well. 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

yes, here is the thread here https://community.aarp.org/t5/Grief-Loss/Death-of-a-daughter/m-p/2072101

Please find someone to talk to about your feelings and loss. I don't know that it's that important for them to have any wise words of wisdom, the important thing is for you to speak and be heard.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I have no children myself but I have read a number of times of the pain that a parent feels when a child is lost may always be there, but not so the suffering and torment. I'm sure that the loss of an older child, or adult child, must hurt just as much. I'm not sure that my words offer any consolation but I wanted to say ~something~ to acknowledge your pain.

I recall that someone else posted of the same situation, a mother posting of the loss of a younger child, a few months back. That was poignant as well, so much so. Perhaps we can locate that thread and you might find some words of healing, and assistance, in that thread as well.

I wish you peace, my friend.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Death of a child

Message 4 of 4

I loss my only son  and we were like two peas in a pot can someone help me. Please, thank you. Bg4795

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies