Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

Death of a daughter

How does one survive the death of their child?  My daughter just died and I have having a very difficult time.  It was sudden and totally unexpected.  There was no preparation for this - I go to bed crying and wake up crying.  She was not only my daughter but my best friend too.  I am lost.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. My daughter my 3rd child was killed and I was devastated. I many times still see the 3 Police at my front door and relive the entire ordeal all over again. She left us w/a 19 mo old baby boy at the time.

I found a couple of Groups one of which is National and you can find one in your State. It's Compassionate Friends, please try and get in touch. It may be hard to listen to others loss but rewarding to talk about your loss at the same time. It was life saving for me, even though I could not talk for over a yr. Also grief therapy is helpful.

loss of child.jpgI had 3 groups, 3 years of therapy and I do have meds to help me with my loss. Do not hesitate to ask your Dr. for medication if you can't stop crying, as I was the same way. My prayers to your and yours. They say GOD takes the young to take them out of any pain they may be suffering in their lives, but then it puts the pain on us, odd to me!!

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi! You make a valid point that it makes no sense to think that God would cause more suffering by adding to our existing pain in addition to causing the death of a loved one.

Medication can temporarily relieve depression but when it wears off or runs out how will you feel?  You need something to sustain you beyond medication.

The very God who is accused of causing pain is the only one who can provide comfort when we are faced with life changing challenges. Loss of a loved one is one of those challenges. Does it make sense to believe that a “God of love” would add pain to an already grievous situation?  Instead the Bible provides comfort to those who grieve.  Look at the account of Jairus’ daughter.  She was restored to life and brought immeasurable joy to her parents. Also look at resurrected Lazarus.  His sisters were ecstatic when he was resurrected.  Do you think God would add pain to these families?  Of course not! And today the outcome is just the same.  Comfort is a quality of the “God of love” and he invites us to learn about him in his word the Bible.

I would be happy  to discuss with you the encouraging truths from the Bible.

Take care!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

TO:  j911638w 

Thinking of you today! 
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

My sympathy to you in your loss.  May you find peace.

646023jr9z01oxuu.gif

@j911638w wrote:

How does one survive the death of their child?  My daughter just died and I have having a very difficult time.  It was sudden and totally unexpected.  There was no preparation for this - I go to bed crying and wake up crying.  She was not only my daughter but my best friend too.  I am lost.

Honored Social Butterfly

@j911638w wrote:

Oh dear lady, I am so so sorry for your loss.  I know your heart has been broken--pierced with pain.  It is always hard to lose a loved one, but I know that the loss of one to whom you gave life and shared the bond of mother, daughter, and friend, is even more so crushing.

I'm sure you've already been told all of the cliche sayings one tells someone after they suffer a loss like this.  So I will spare you that.  What I will say to you is this:  You have to feel whatever you feel until you heal and don't feel that way anymore.  If you feel like crying--cry.  Let the tears flow--it's a way of releasing the hurt.  If you feel like praying all day or asking God "why" out loud and loudly through your tears-- Do that!  He understands your grief.  

Grieving takes time and there is no set timetable of events.   So allow yourself the space you need to recover.  In the meantime and while you are going through, be sure to take care of you!  As much as you can, eat,  sleep,  drink plenty of water (you'll need to replace the tears),  allow others "in" who care, and if need be seek help and support from a professional or clergy.

Just know, it will get better in time.  You'll see.   I promise!

God bless and comfort you now!

Lydia

Regular Social Butterfly

I'm sorry.

My child died in my arms forty-three years ago yet I don't know how you feel.  I know how I felt and I know the depth of your feeling but, again, I don't know how you feel.  No one does.

You will never recover from the loss.  The only thing that you can do is to channel your feelings.  Find some way to honor her on a regular basis.  My wife and I, my two sons and now their wives and children celebrate my deceased son's birthday every year.  This year we'll be spending a weekend at he Hershey Lodge.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP