Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ•ฏ A Place To Be With OTHERS Who Are Grieving! WE support each other.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ•ฏ A Place To Be With OTHERS Who Are Grieving! WE support each other.

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

READ the comments and/or ADD a comment.

***A place to share and support***

Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Screenshot_20230530-033419_Chrome.jpg

๐Ÿ“ธclipart attached๐Ÿ“ธ

Bronze Conversationalist

Grateful for another sunny day in the Sunshine State. Today is a pretty full class day - two online classes earlier and one in-person tonight. Keeping my brain engaged is very fulfilling.

Marcy

Trusted Social Butterfly

3 comments (Wednesday 4/3/24)

I bet you are ENJOYING the "heat" Marcy @MarcyW882921 , so is my daughter. BOTH Ms. Floridas!!!

You guys are WELCOME to it/lol.

ENJOYING my Virginia Spring Day [rain finally left  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ] - window open, gentle breeze and what is left of the blossoms on trees.  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Yes Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy I do enjoy the heat!

Marcy

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Wednesday 4/3/24)

Marcy @MarcyW882921 , I use to enjoy the "heat" BEFORE my "Hot Flashes" = when I do make it back to Florida 100%, I will need a Sugar Daddy to pay my AIR CONDITIONING BILL!!!/lol  ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Even here in Cave Spring, Virginia - me and my air in apartment and car are BEST FRIENDS in Summer...  ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy , Good luck with your Sugar Daddy search! I hope it works out for you very soon! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿซ

Marcy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Medical appts are keeping me busy. This Thurs would have been hubby's 85th birthday ..we all miss him greatly but will think of him with memories of past birthdays..

Trusted Social Butterfly

5 comments (Sunday 3/31/24)

SO GOOD to hear from you MC @mc6844  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband passed away on 2/22/24 and I am having a hard time emotionally.  I don't know what to do. It's like I am in a "brain fog". I need direction and I need help. Should I seek out a psychiatrist? I don't have any friends to talk to and I don't belong to any groups. I live in a tiny rural town. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm so sorry for your loss, Diane. The good people on this forum can help you. You can get ideas of what to do, reading how others have gotten through a major life event. If you don't feel up to in person appts, an online counselor is another source of support. And can help to identify options. Things will get better. Time takes time. Take care Diane!

Hi @DianeE3158, I'm so sorry for your loss and to learn you're having a rough time right now but know you are not alone and there are resources available.

Thank you so much for reaching out for help. Remember there are a community of people here for you. Please take care of yourself.

AARPSneed

AARP Social Response Team

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi, Diane -

I feel your pain - I was right where you are now but 17 years ago.  But ya know what, just from what you wrote, it all came flooding back.  But I am much better today and know that those painful feelings are now only sporadic but so real when I feel them I can empathize with you.

In those early days after my husband died - I could ONLY put one step in front of the other - nothing else.  I had Post-It notes all over my mirror saying basic things like โ€œbrush my teethโ€, โ€œcomb my hairโ€., โ€œshowerโ€. and EAT - I lost a tremendous amount of weight; I did things that were dangerous to my wellbeing - cause I really didnโ€™t care.  

Like you, I live in a pretty rural area and really never made too many friends around the area because we worked so much.  My husband and I were self-employed (38 years) and traveled a good bit in the business so we were together 24/7 pretty much.  He literally was everything to me.  The business pretty much went with him since it was his creativity and personhood that we marketed.  So everything changed for me.

In the months that followed, I did begin to use a journal - I wrote in it but never went back to read any of it, I just let it flow out and then at about the 2-year mark, I burned it.

I tried a counselor to which I had some other dealings through the years and she thought I needed more - like an RX - so she sent me to a psychiatrist.  I guess each of them helped some but mostly just by getting me out of my house - and out of me.  No Rx med from the psychiatrist helped at all - the ones he prescribed just didnโ€™t cure what was wrong with me.  

I finally did reach out to a priest that had been sent our way during the last few weeks of my husbandโ€™s life under hospice.  I will say that this person was kind and listened to my words, sometimes kind of crazy words and sobs - it was a group type thing but many times, it was just him and me.  

It was the anger that got to me really bad -  I screamed a lot - I played music really loud to get out of my head.  I drove too fast on those open country roads.  I think I was on a path of self-destruction for a while.

The priest used some 12-step slogans on me and still to this day, they still apply when I get out of sorts - 

H.A.L.T - never get too HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY OR TIRED - before you reach out.  

ONE DAY AT A TIME - thatโ€™s all you have to manage - thatโ€™s after you build up from one minute at a time.

Then in 2008 I joined this board and started to do what I could to help people out with their various problems with Social Security / Medicare or other stuff to which I could relate.

I donโ€™t remember exactly when I started to feel normal again- it just happened very slowly - I started handling other life stuff and time just marched on - but it still only takes a post like the one you made for me to remember how it was but also how I am today - 

OH, I still miss him dearly and the plans that we had made for living our golden years together.  But I am thankful for all those years that we had together living as a couple and doing the things we loved to do.  I was 57 when my husband died.  

Sure, see someone if for no other reason than just to get it out, if that is what you think you need to do - 

Come here if you want to just let it out - we are just reading your comment so we donโ€™t know how loud you are screaming them - no judgement cause those that visit this board know how it is.  

But do reach out somehow, someway cause keeping it all in makes for a boil over.  Time is gonna be the best healer - but it takes steps to get that time in -  spend time outside of your home where you are not alone.  I spent hours at the grocery store just to be around others.

My heart aches for you - Grief is a process - some say there are 5-levels:  denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

I donโ€™t know - I donโ€™t remember denial or bargaining.  Just anger, depression and I guess, acceptance.  

Take care of yourself as best you can.  Come back to share how you are doing too.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Saturday 3/30/24) Chat!

HOW ARE YOU?  ๐Ÿค”

Gosh, one more day for April - 2024 is "flying" by!!!  ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

April 11th will be my 1st visit with my NEW Eye Doctor for a HEALTHY EYE EXAM compliments of an Eye Organization [one time deal]. NEXT YEAR will be on me. I have two "tiny" Cataracts in each eye.

Everyone, FIND YOUR PEACE TODAY  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello! I'm thinking of all of you, too. I hope Easter brings a sense of renewal and hope to all your lives. I appreciate all your support. Each day I try to stay in the present moment as much as possible. It just makes the day go easier. I wish you all a nice day!

Trusted Social Butterfly

5 comments (Thursday 3/28/24)

SO GOOD to hear from you Marcy @MarcyW882921  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Girl, I was up ALL NIGHT and was "suppose" to get up at 7am, but kept RESETTING my 3 alarms [yes, 3/lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ]. One is a regular clock, plug in. One is my VERY OLD Android T-Mobile says I need to update ๐Ÿ™„. And 3rd is a FREE Android Virginia gave me. They really care about their OLD FOLKS, unlike Florida.

Anyway, FINALLY got up at 8am and of course SHOULD have left at 8:30am for 9am appointment. It was 8:45am!!!  ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

GRATEFUL, no accidents or gridlocks. Lol, but I am sure my Blood Pressure didnot appreciate the stress of running late.

I always WARN them about my NEEDLE "issues"...  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Bronze Conversationalist

Well, you got to your appointment. Great!

Bronze Conversationalist

Oh my you had a rough night and beginning to your day Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy ! I hope it is now over and you are taking time to breathe and reduce that blood pressure. Wishing you a more calm rest of the day.

Marcy

Trusted Social Butterfly

2 comments (Thursday 3/28/24)

Thanks Marcy @MarcyW882921  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

[*** MARCY @MarcyW882921 wrote:

Oh my you had a rough night and beginning to your day Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy ! I hope it is now over and you are taking time to breathe and reduce that blood pressure. Wishing you a more calm rest of the day.

Marcy ***]

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Thursday 3/28/24 about 11:10pm)

Hey Marcy @MarcyW882921 , NO "reaction" to my shot and heading to get some zzz's.  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Lol, stayed out of the bed ALL DAY after getting back from CVS.

Thanks for CARING  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Bronze Conversationalist

I believe it's a full moon week. Can affect sleep.

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Friday 3/29/24)

MC @mc6844 , I slept well "last night"  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Nicole for your kind thoughts. Wish we could find a solution to your sleep issues. Probably just a time of adjustment. It will get better. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

2 comments (Wednesday 3/27/24)

SO GOOD to hear from you MC @mc6844  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Well, I HOPE to get some "rest" TONIGHT as I have a 9am appointment TOMORROW to get the 2nd Recommended COVID shot for AGE 65+ at CVS.

Lol, had my "meltdown" (HATE NEEDLES  ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ) when I read the AARP Article about this NEW recommendation. Figured at age 66 this year, it will keep me well. GRATEFUL have never caught it!!!  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

My daughter has twice.  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Bronze Conversationalist

May you continue to be well Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy . I am in the needle haters club too so I hope you get through your appointment this morning without much discomfort.

Marcy

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Nicole. Always so thoughtful to everyone. Been very busy here with stuff. Still decluttering one bunch of stuff at a time. Hope your sleep time is okay.

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Wednesday 3/27/24)

Check out this event:

Thursday, Apr 4, 2024. 11:30 a.m. ET , 10:30 a.m. CT , 9:30 a.m. MT , 8:30 a.m. PT. 90 minutes long.

๐Ÿ•ฏ  Coping With Grief: The Art of Cherishing (FREE online AARP "Grief & Loss" Event for members/non-members)

Explore the art of cherishing, a way to continue loving and honoring someone who has died while fully living life.

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Nicole!

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Tuesday 3/26/24) Chat!

Walmart was "interesting"  ๐Ÿ™„  - spotted a couple I DIDNOT want too see and thankful they DIDNOT "look" my way!!!  Happy Dance  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Female use to live where I do about 1 or 2 years ago. Very controlling and we parted ways when she moved out. Daily knock out fights with her Baby Daddy.

Another Happy Dance, I got my Weekly Video Call from my daughter today!!!  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

I think I MAY have won $100.00 on one of my two $1 Scratchoff Tickets today from Walmart. Will stop by their Customer Service Counter NEXT Tuesday when I return for weekly groceries. Not getting excited, but...  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Raining and will be until Friday.  ๐Ÿ˜ญ

GRATEFUL it was NOT for my Walmart Trip this morning.  ๐Ÿ‘

Bronze Conversationalist

I hope you win too!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ต 1 comment (Monday 3/25/24) Chat!

Quiet day!

Weekly Walmart trip TOMORROW, gas Wednesday, then my 2nd Age 65+ Covid shot at 9am Thursday.

Figured I would do "shot" LAST just in case I have a "reaction" = stay home!

My daughter made it back from Atlanta YESTERDAY, tired today and not feeling well. Lol, did my 1st round of BEGGING for my Weekly Video Call = that was HER response.  ๐Ÿ™„

She KNOWS I will be "pestering" TOMORROW.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bronze Conversationalist

Just wanted to pop in to say Hi! I've been crazy busy for a few days and I'm off and running to rehearsal in a couple of hours.๐ŸŽถ

Marcy

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP