Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Looking for advice

My roommate and myself purchased a vehicle yesterday from Vadden Nissan of Savannah. It was on another lot in a neighboring state. I was told that everything had been certified and was in perfect working order. It is a 2009 Nissan Murano. I recently had hip surgery and my roommate has been in the hospital numerous times due to severe respiratory issues. She went into cardiac arrest last year. We used her car as a trade in plus cash down. Her car had numerous issues including the ac did not work. Here in Georgia you can see Temps near 100 in the summer. I picked the vehicle up and was told I had a 3 month warranty. I was not sure if I had the ac turned correctly. It was not working. I went back to the dealership and was told that they were sorry the ac did not work but it bought as is. I could bring it back Monday and they would run a diagnostic on it. I would have to pay for that and any repairs. I left and headed home. The salesman then called me and told me they would too expensive. I needed to find somewhere cheaper. This is supposed to be one of our top retailers here. My roommate cannot walk outside when it is this hot. We struggled to do this and I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated 

0 Kudos
Contributor

It does not matter what they tell you (about warranties or any other promises). If it is not in writing, it doesn't exist. Car dealers are lying scum. Doesn't matter which one you go to, they are all dirt. Get everything in writing and get an independent mechanic to check it out BEFORE you buy. It's amazing how many people go and get a used car checked after they buy. Then, it's too late.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I  just thought of an idea  how about doing a go fund me site your situation is a potential life hazard research it you maybe surprised

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TeenaB409918 wrote:

My roommate and myself purchased a vehicle yesterday from Vadden Nissan of Savannah.

I have heard all sorts of horror stories regarding independent dealerships; however, brand dealerships usually are a little more "by the book" than the independents, but not absolutely so.

There is an FTC requirement that a sticker, called the Buyer's Guide sticker, be affixed to the used car. It has two boxes that can be checked. One attests to being sold with a "Dealer's Warranty" and one attest to be sold "As Is". They are supposed to give you the sticker when you buy the car. 

So...........

(1) Did you see the Buyer's Guide sticker on the car?

(2) Was the "Dealer Warranty" box checked or the "As-Is" box checked?

(3) Did they give you the Buyer's Guide sticker?

If the "As Is" box was checked, then any repairs incurred after you take possession of the car are your responsibility.

Bronze Conversationalist

I would definitely contact the consumer services in Georgia and look into their Lemon Law to see if it pertains to your case. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@postman29 wrote:

I would definitely contact the consumer services in Georgia and look into their Lemon Law to see if it pertains to your case. 

Lemon laws usually don't apply to used vehicles that are out of their original warranty period. Being 12 years old, this car was definitely out of its warranty period.

Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry to hear about your car.This dealership unfortunatly did nothing wrong.First the oral contract is not really binding unless you can secure it in writing,  Secondly  if the vechicle is used and after the warranty period a vechicle 36000 miles is sold as is . The oral agreement with this crook is not binding again not in writing. If you feel you have a case maybe a call to your states Attorney General could help . When ever you buy a car from anyone  you should have it inspected by a third party mechanic. Never trust the word of a car salesman they lie and want your money and will say anything to get it. Sorry to tell you this but it appears your stuck with this car and any repair gosts  associated with it. You could also try to sue them in small claims court but it doesn't sound good. This trusted dealership in not repetible and you should never do business with them again.  Another idea is to call an attorney if money is an issue call Legal Aid Society or one that works on fee basis but only if you win. The cost of repairing your AC   IF IT HAS 134 A  FREON        IS ABOUT 2100 BUCKS  OR YOU COULD FIND THE BLUE.BLACK BOOK VALUE OF THAT CAR AND BUY A NEW ONE  GOOD LUCK

Social Butterfly

@TeenaB409918  Welcome to the on-line community.  So sorry you and your roommate have gone through so much.  My first thought was to meticulously  go through all your paperwork you received and see if there is any mention of the condition of the a/c or policies that state "as is" condition. Sometimes used cars only have a 30 day return policy, they could be trying to ride out the time, delaying.

Another thought ( this will sound sexist ) If you are two women, I would have a trusted male friend or relative that knows something about cars, and have them look over the paperwork and present your case to the dealership.

Next option call the Better Business Bureau and/or if you have a good mechanic have them look it over.   

Just a few things off the top of my head, hope it was helpful and you get the a/c fixed.  The fact that they ( the dealership )  is being evasive, makes me wonder what else could be wrong with the car.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP