Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Are these AARP emails legitimate?

Sunday night at 9:24pm Central, and then Tuesday night at the same time, I received an email from AARP <AARP@email.aarp.org> with the subject "Richard, Action Required."  The email looked official, and asked me to click on a link to confirm my email.  I'm attaching a screen shot.  I didn't click on the links, as I never click on messages of this nature unless I instigated the action of verifying my email (such as on a website when signing up for a service, when it immediately generates such messages).  I then separately logged in to my AARP account, and checked that my email was properly recorded.  Of course, I get about a dozen emails from AARP every week (mostly newsletters) so I already knew my email was good for the account.  Are these legitimate emails from AARP?  Why would they be necessary?  If they are legitimate, this is not a safe practice for you to do.  Thanks - Richard.aarp email.JPG

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Unfortunately @RichardN275409  I share your suspicions.  The way I read your post, these emails were 'out-of-the-blue'.  Therefore if you had not signed up for any new electronic communications from AARP on Sunday or Tuesday, I still wouldn't Click...I've seen some really convincing ones using USPS and other logos.

Like you, I follow certain safety procedures regarding links in emails.  If these are valid, but arrived hours or days after you signed up, that is another issue, but it still needs to be addressed by AARP.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@RichardN275409 Hey Richard, let me help! That is a valid email from AARP. When you opt in for email newsletters, you are automatically asked to confirm your email address. Once you click the confirm button, it will ensure that your email address remains opted in and you will no longer receive the email requesting you to confirm.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP