Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Enjoy Theater Mode on Your Favorite AARP Games

Retired Community Manager

Enjoy Theater Mode on Your Favorite AARP Games

As we announced last week, AARP is rolling roll out Theater Mode to all games over the next several weeks. The new feature provides a full-width game play area on desktop and laptop, while conveniently keeping the browser bar open to navigate back. Theater Mode is currently available on all AARP Members-Only games plus these games:

Pro Tip: It’s best to login to access Theater Mode before you start a game to save your game progress.  Set your browser Zoom level to 100%, and click on the icon in the lower right corner of your favorite game. Try the new Theater Mode today!

@Vexed, thanks for sharing your tips! @SassiLady, I'm sorry you're still having difficulties. I'd like to encourage you again to reach out to Customer Care because they can help you with a one-on-one session. If you call 866-839-0463 to speak with them, they'll invite you to "cobrowse" with them to help troubleshoot what you're seeing. In the meantime, consider reviewing the requirements listed below. Thanks!

Hardware requirements:

• 1.5 GHz processor
  • Windows OS: Windows 10
  • macOS: Big Sur (11.6.4)
  • Resolution: 1024x768
  • 2 Mb/s internet connection
  • JavaScript enabled

Desktop browsers:

• Chrome 104
  • Firefox 102
  • Edge 104
  • Safari 14

Mobile devices browsers:

• Chrome 104
  • Safari 14
  • Mobile devices OS:
  • IOS 14
  • Android 10 / Android 11
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm on a 27" PC monitor and Backgammon is about 4"x4"!

Thought AARP was for seniors!

Terrible turn up of a "feature"!

Makes me rethink being a member.

Why not leave games in the old format until big screen is avalible?

0 Kudos

Hi, @bg6476, AARP Games are optimized for best game play with a browser Zoom setting of 100%. If you are experiencing any issues, please make sure that your browser Zoom level is set to 100%. This setting is needed to support our new Theater Mode feature (full-width game play). If you need further assistance, please call Customer Care at 866-839-0463 or visit the AARP Help Center to "chat" with us. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

After using "theater mode" I have come to the conclusion that it stinks for most games that we play. YES I have kept my browser at 100%, and it is very frustrating when you hit that button and get a panoramic screen that is longer but doesn't get any wider/taller, so now you have this long screen with empty space on both sides and a game grid that is so small on some games it is no longer possible to play them. I play some Mahjong games where each screen progresses and never had a problem, now they are smaller and it's difficult to make out the symbols. 

I know not everything is perfect but the old version of some games was much better than this version. One size does not fit all and never will. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi @SassiLady , I have been wondering and worrying about your problem with viewing the theater mode. I don't have any trouble and have been trying to figure out if I can help you. Don't know, but I will give you some things to check.

I don't know your system except for 17 inch monitor. I know others have differing sizes. I have a 19 inch monitor. (Yes I have the browser at 100%)

I don't think the monitor size should impact so much. I was wondering about the screen resolution settings. Mine is 1280 X 1024. You should be able to find that in your windows setting and see what yours are set to use.)

Here is a screenshot of my Mahjongg in theater mode. It fills almost the whole screen. You can see the right edge of the Google Chrome browser.

( I chose a reduced image size in the posting editor. The image I uploaded is larger. You can view it full size in my profile images.)

mahjongg-screenshot.jpg

I don't know if that is any help, but it was a thought.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi Vexed, how are you doing? Good to hear from you. Now that is the solitaire game that I play and when I bring it up in theater mode I still have 3 1/2 inches on each side to the edge. Do you have that? My theater mode screen is about 

4 3/4 high and about 13 long. Perhaps this is the problem. Let me know the size of yours, because my game itself definitely doesn't get any bigger than it does in normal mode.

I just checked and mine is 1600 x 900 which is what the recommend for my laptop. I will try and take some time tomorrow to change it and see what happens but I don't have the same exact one on my list that you are using.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi @SassiLady , we are doing ok. Hope you are. I haven't had anything exciting to post in the Bingo Blog.

My screen has about a half or 3/4 of an inch on both sides of the game to the edge. The game is about 13 inches across and 9 or so inches high. I have an oldish monitor , not hd and not widescreen. I prefer the squarish types. I prefer the way things look on it. The 1280 x 1024 is a 5:4 ratio. That is also the highest resolution mine will go on my pc. 😊 I don't know what your monitor can do or if any change will help. It probably has to do with the monitor and the video card what you are able to do.

I just hate that you are not getting to see it and play with the new mode. It is quite bigger than the old version. I was just trying to think of anything that might help you. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am in agreement with @bg6476. Movie Theater mode has done nothing to make the actual game or puzzle larger, in fact they have shrunk and are now more difficult to play. You can't just elongate something thinking it will be larger, it doesn't work. The space gets bigger and the puzzle stays the same or as in the case of Majhong it gets smaller making it very difficult for us older folks to be able to see the board. I play mostly crossword puzzles and a few of the Majhong games and it has become impossible for me to continue with Mahjong. I will keep playing the crossword puzzles even though I have difficulty with some of them. 100% or not it just isn't working. I use a 17 inch laptop and haven't enjoyed a puzzle in over a month now. Thank you for trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

0 Kudos

Hi @SassiLady, are you still having difficulty playing at the recommended browser zoom level? May I suggest having you call Customer Care because they can help troubleshoot with you in a one-on-one session. They can be reached at 866-839-0463 or visit the AARP Help Center to "chat" with us. Thank you.

0 Kudos

UPDATE 9/13/2022: We're pleased to announce the next 7 games to have the new Theater Mode feature. They are:

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP