Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

The Magnolia Tree

Hi you can call me Hubert G.

I remember when I was in high school about 50 years ago. My horticulture teacher visited my house to help arrange my mother Violar plants and flowers in her yard. This was to help me with my grades in school. She agreed. Everything was going fine until the teacher wanted to move certain flowers. Mom said, "You'r not going to move this flower." When everything was over I got an excellent grade in his class. Mom said, "The yard do look better." She always try to be encouraging to her 12 children, 7 boys and 5 girls. Dad did too in his on way. He was a hard worker. He showed us how to work. We were a Sharecropper family during the 1930's to 1960's. We moved off the farm into our own house, that we had built by picking cotton to pay for it. (The house is still there today in Lynchburg, SC with the magnolia tree in the front yard) 

We move off the farm in our own house. What a happy day! Dad was able to rest from his hard work for 10 years then he died.  Mom later came down with Alzheimer's disease. I wanted to write down some things mother told me about the pass but now it was to late. She could not carry on those clear conversations any more.

One day while it was my turn to set with her, I decided to write that book. What would be the title of it? I said a prayer, stood up from my chair, walked to my mother's front door and saw the magnolia tree in her yard. I knew I needed more to the title. So a few days late while driving to work I said in my mind, "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" That provide to be my first book title.

So now there is a second book and 3 screenplay and more.

I send a challenge out to all. What is your magnolia story? If you live in the eastern part of the United States you will see these tree often. A fellow writer and friend of mine just returned from Switzerland. He saw the trees there too.

Try this, have the passager in your car spot a magnolia tree then have them count to 15, as you drive you should spot another magnolia tree. Let me know if it works and what state you are in. I am in South Carolina.

Love your magnolia (Mom)!

Thanks

Hubert G.

Super Contributor

That is interesting. Near me I haven't notice any willow trees lately. But back in the 60's there was a lot of them. They were all over this town. Mom had one in her back yard. We would cut limbs of the tree to make poles for the chicken fence. The willow pole would take root and little branches would grow, then leaves show up. Another tree would start growing from that pole or limb. Yes a beautiful tree.

Hubert

P.S. Can you send us a picture of one?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Morning, Hubert!

You asked for a pic of the beautiful willow tree.  So here are two:

Willows are truly beautiful, Old World looking, majestic trees.  I love them and enjoy watching the wind blow around and through them--in slow motion.  

Although I miss finding a magnolia right now,  I love these trees as well.  Lovely in all their wispy uniqueness.

Lydia

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Tracey of Cotuit,

When I read your post this morning, it truly brought tears to my eyes. Your comments have made my day, no my week.

I live next to my mother's house. I notice yesterday that Mom's magnolia tree just got blooms. The tree is still standing tall and beautiful. A picture of her tree is on this page. The date it was post is 1/8/19.

By the way we will have our 45th family reunion this month in SC. All but two of my brothers and sister should be there. One sister died and one brother don't usually come. The oldest is 85 and the youngest is 65. I am just before the youngest. Eleven children still living. A blessing!

Thank you so much,

Hubert

Honored Social Butterfly

I saw my first magnolia tree today and it was in full bloom and absolutely beautiful.

Image result for pic of a magnolia tree in bloom

Spring has sprung indeed!

Lydia

Super Contributor

Wow, I am looking at the show The Voice on my tv and the lady is singing a song with the words "abosolutely beautiful". That is strange!

I haven't seen my first magnolia blooms yet this year.

Hubert

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hubert!

I saw my second and third magnolia today.  The only problem was, the petals/leaves of the flower were already falling to the ground.  I guess it is because of all of the weather and temperature changes we are having here.  One day it's freezing cold and the next day it may be in the high 60s or low 70s and then back down to low low temps at night.  But even with so many blooms lost, the trees still looked magnificent!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I am so sorry. But as you know it is just part of life. It make me think of me trying to have my movies produce. With all the "no" it seems like the "weather" making the blooms or beauty fall from the story. It looks like it will get lost in time. There is one thing we can rest asured, the Magnolia Trees will be here FOREVER because of the ONE who made them.

Hubert

P.S. Where is Tyler Perry? LOL

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for ruthie33

Just a positive thought for today!

Super Contributor

Hey, I am still here! Have you seen any more magnolia?   Hubert

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Evening Hubert!

I'm still here too.  But the only trees I've seen lately,  look like these.....

I guess though, soon enough we'll be able to find magnolias in all their glory and in full bloom like these....

Take care til then,

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

The Magnolia Tree

It stands tall in splendor with its glossy green leaves 
reaching out to the sun. 
Just its mere presence makes you feel so small. 
Magnificent in stature long after its birth, 
It's trunk remains rooted well to the earth. 
Strictly a Southern treasure which is well-recognized, 
A heritage shows with every sunrise. 
Many frontier tales can sound its power, 
while ancestors can remember waiting 
for its abundant bloom. 
White blossomed flowers delicate for a bride, 
yet large enough for plentiful bouquets of 
resplendent wealth to the eyes of the beholder. 
Yes, for all to see is the beauty of a tree. 
Much to my amazement is gazing upon this gift of nature, 
One sees the deep lines of life weaving its story. 
The Magnolia Tree is one of glory. 

A Poem by Karen Egleston

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Hubert!

Well, winter finally got the best of me and I've been down with a cold that doesn't seem to want to let go of me yet.  But I'm doing better, so I've decided to come back on the forums.

Today I had a chance to catch up where I last left off here.  I saw the drawings and the new photos as well.  The drawings captured the story from your book and the color photos reminded me of what Spring and Summer has in store for us all.  All were very nice.

So let me add my contribution to our magnolia wishes......

and then remember my personal favorite......

We have 73 days til Spring.  Best wishes, Hubert! 

Lydia

Super Contributor

Life is so wonderful! More then that how wonderful is the ONE who created life. We can see it all around us each day. Man did not make these things or us. So when we see a magnolia tree, what a great design! Weather it is spring or winter it is always green. EVERGREEN! Leaves may fall off it but the tree keeps living.

Welcome back Lyida to the forum. Glad to here you are feeling better. Appreciating life! Thanks for the creations.Live!Live!

Super Contributor

Well, we all are part of a family. Are magnolia trees part of a family? lol Do they have DNA?Family of magnoliasFamily of magnolias

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Hubert!

From what I have read,  all living things on Earth have DNA.  So I would say "yes, magnolia trees have DNA."  But since I'm not a scientist,  I will just continue to enjoy their wistful beauty whenever I am blessed to find one.

Super Contributor

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the insight about DNA. You is right about just "enjoy their wistful beauty." Here is one magnolia tree, "beside the road,""Magnolia beside the road""Magnolia beside the road"

I saw two days ago. Did any one see a magnolia tree today?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

A caring magnolia mother? Think about it.Protective magnolia motherProtective magnolia mother

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for MAGNOLIA TREE WITHOUT FLOWERS

Here's a magnolia tree......

Image result for MAGNOLIA TREE WITHOUT FLOWERS

....and here's what we have to look forward to come Spring!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

The magnolia trees and bloom speaks for themselves. "Just look at them!" It is good to wait for things in life. I can't wait for the spring of next year 2019.

Thank you!

P.S. If someone would just believe me about the scripts. (I will wait)

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here is a painting I did of Mom cleaning the dust off our shoes on the way to religions services. Can you see the Magnolia tree in the background? And can you see me standing on the right side?Mom dusting off our shoes.Mom dusting off our shoes.

Honored Social Butterfly

You, HubertG, seem to be a man of many talents.  Writing and painting.  How wonderful!  Maybe you could be the next Romare Bearden or Jacob Lawrence. 

Image result for jacob lawrenceof his artworks

•  
    See the source image

Artwork done by Jacob Lawrence.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Anna helps EbonyAnna helps Ebony

Thank you so much LydiaN! I wonder who else will see this page. Here is more. A lady on my job liked my two books so much I paid her to draw over 50 pictures from reading my books. Here is one. Do you see the Magnolia Tree?

Super Contributor

Here is more. Ebony (Sunamite) saved Anna by throwing a rock to hit the snake. The Magnolia Tree is there to help also. True FRIENDSHIP!

- HubertA true friend!A true friend!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Ready to work.Ready to work.

What is work? Well, I will tell you. If you are plowing behind a mule from sun up to sun down. My Dad did it for over 25 years to take care of his family (12 children) without complaining. I wanted to lean how to plow and my brothers taught me how to at the age of 11. No magnolias in this picture. Dad was a true man. But yet still a caring and loving father. We did not go lacking.

--- Hubert

P.S. This picture by Karen Davis.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

• A magnolia tree with pine tree all around it. Just like people all around you.      -- Hubert"Pine trees all around me!" - Magnolia"Pine trees all around me!" - Magnolia

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Again, here is the first magnolia tree (mother's magnolia tree) that the idea for all this writings. The tree is over 40 years old...........................Now the other day I found these smaller magnolia trees about 100 yards across the field from mother's tree. Could these be offspring's of mother's tree. Can a DNA test prove it? Let me know.Mother's magnolia treeMother's magnolia tree

Offspring one?Offspring one?

Offspring two?Offspring two?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning!

And Happy Thanksgiving!  

Hope this day finds you blessed and resting.

Will resume our celebration of the good ol' magnolia soon.

Lydia

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This photo is so beautiful and full of so much color that it might seem to not be real.  But it is!  When I look at such splendor, my only thought is to say "Look at the handiwork of God!"

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Lydia, that pic of Magnolia is beautiful.  I had that same tree at my back door at a place I use to live, I didn't know it was a MagnoliaSmiley Surprised  Absolutely lovely in the spring.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Super Contributor

Yes, Lydia has brought this page to life with all her magnolia pics.

Thank you,

Hubert

PS. Still waiting for the "magnolia street" signs from every state. I know you are out there, just like the magnolia trees. lol

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP