Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: The Magnolia Tree

Message 51 of 68

Lydia,

You are so right. Time's a wastin'. I do have two books published. My first book title is "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?". My second book and the follow up to the first is "Magnolias That Cared About Me feathering THUNDER". Both books are on Amazon. I designed and painted the covers with a $2 paint set from Walmart.

Then I wrote the 100 page screenplay (movie) based on these two books. I sent it to a script consult with 20 years of experience in California. She read it and liked it, stating it would be a costly movie. That being said, I then broke the script down to 3 TV scripts.

On the cover of the first book you will see at the bottom of the book the two main charterers Anna and Ebony. (fiction) My Mom picture is on the top cover. Yes I called a number of agent with no good result. I sent two copy of my book to Oprah, Spike Lee and Steven Spielberg no good result.

Your flower above looks like it is just "reaching out". A photo like this one keeps me writing.

Thanks.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 68

Hubert,

Have you submited any of your writings to publishers or an agent?  Time's a wastin' you know.   In what you've written, you may have something as beautiful to share as our maggie here.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 68

P.S.   I wonder if it's time for the movies that I wrote 3 scripts about to come to the screens?

I think it will take a Steel Magnolia to do this one.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 68

Lydia,

That's what I am talking about. Informed "Steel Magnolia"!

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 68

Okeedoke, Hubert!   You set forth the challenge and ya made me hafta go look!  But here's what I found out....

Some southern women are called, from time to time, "Steel Magnolias."   A "steel magnolia" is a woman who posses the strength of steel, yet the gentleness of a magnolia.   A southern woman who is strong and independant yet very feminine.  It's origin is a combination of the contrasting images of "steel", a hard metal, and "magnolia", a flower.

Mary Kassian,  a blogger wrote, “Steel Magnolia.  I love the phrase because to me it speaks to the essence of womanhood. The image melds beauty with perseverance, softness with backbone, delicacy with durability, sweetness with stamina." 

And I say, "What a beautiful description!"

Remember:

Steel Magnolias...The Movie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 68

Ok, I have a question. Why is southern women called "magnolias"? Where did this saying come from?

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 68

Ms. Soosie,

Can you post a picture of your magnolia tree?

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 68

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the great information on the magnolia tree.

I also found that - "Found in the rocks are fossil leaves of many trees and shrubs that show very little difference from the leaves of such plants today: oak, walnut, hickory, grape, magnolia, palm and many others."

You have shown great insight and knowledge. I hope others can see the beauty in them. Not to put one tree above another because they are all God's creation.

Keep up the find work. Thank you AARP for helping us to take it to the next level. 

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 68

Did you know?

There are around 210 species of magnolia that differ in size, shape, color of the flower and type of habitat. Magnolia trees originate from Southeast Asia and North America, but they have been naturalized to almost all continents in the world because of their beauty. Magnolia usually grows on acidic soils that are rich in nutrients, in areas that provide enough moisture and direct sunlight. It is often planted in parks and on the golf courses because of its ornamental morphology and ability to provide shade. Unfortunately, some species of magnolia are facing uncertain future due to habitat loss as a result of increased human activity.

And.......

Magnolia has dark green, oval shaped leaves that are covered with layer of wax. Leaves are evergreen.

Color of the flower depends on the species and it can be white, yellow, pinkish, purple and green.

Flower of magnolia has pleasant scent that resembles the smell of tropical fruit.

Magnolia blooms from April to June. First flowers develop seven years after planting.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 68

Lydia, Just breath taking!!! (live)

Kudos
Views