Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Social Butterfly

I have the best of both worlds, living on a lake in the mountains!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

you are definitely right!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The beach is definiately for me. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would live near the beach; the ocean air and the smell of the ocean salts ;sounds good to me, living in the
midwest west I'm ready for the ocean.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I have the best of both worlds, living on a lake in the mountains!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I so agree!  Having just returned from a tour of WY and SD and breathing the fabulous mountain air and taking in the majestic scenery, I commented that a log cabin in the mountains with a lake or even a stream nearby would be fabulous.  Of course we live in the flat land of OK and with both sons and 4 granddaughters all within 5 miles of us, I don't expect to ever live such a dream!  Did I mention we are in our 70's? ha! 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The calming caribbean seas are my favorite. Oh the colors !!!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Cascades! Lived there for a year and loved it!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love both and so, for years, I have been campaigning to bring the ocean to Colorado...  A good quake might do it???

Hard to chose. Beach because weather can be relatively milder. Waves so calming. Beautiful sunsets, etc. Mountains because so serene. Love the seasons, the 'critters', the full peacefulness. I live in the mountains, near a creek, & always say I never want to give this up, but our favorite vacation spot yearly is Maui, & we totally relax on our beach.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Colorado Mountains!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Mountains, Live in Colorado for 30 years and now I missed it
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I could live at either.......go from mountains to beach and back. But if I had to decide one or the other, it would be mountains. So calm and quiet and less traffic and people.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No doubt about it, the beach. I have always had this desire. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the beach

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been debating this question for the last 3 months. I have spent more time in the mountains and I will probably go that route. Everyday is a new adventure, a season change or the discovery of a new trout stream. With all the uncertainties in the future, it's easier to become "hidden" if necessary. The beach has its own beauty but to live there, you have to love it. I mean, just how many seashells is enough? Great place to visit but I'd rather live closer to the stars.
Contributor

LOVE THE BEACH BEING A JERSEY GIRL. But I also love the mountains. So, which ever place, as long as I acn swim, water ski, relax, have nearby points of interest and services, I'm there!! I'd be blessed to have either!   LUCINDA, OCEAN COUNTY, NJ

0 Kudos
Contributor

Beach

0 Kudos
Contributor

Beach...hands down!

0 Kudos

Beach
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the beach. I I don't go in to often but, I love the sound of the waves.
Contributor

I grew up in the mountains but I would much rather live at a not too populated beach.  I love to catch and eat all things saltwater.

0 Kudos

Love the ocean..beach..fishing..my dream!
Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

@ep9127 wrote:
Love the ocean..beach..fishing..my dream!

Dependiing on what level you 'require' to be happy, you can find places that will accomodate your "wishes". We chose SC because we still want some seasonal change and the bugs in FL are a BIG issue for us. FL has lots of diversity. Check it out.

0 Kudos

Definitely by the beach - can not tolerate cold weather & playing bumper cars in the ice and snow.  Love the sound of ocean waves breaking on the shore, seagulls & children playing on the beach. Love my toes in the sand and the feel of the sun on my skin.

Super Contributor

You expressed some of the joys of living on or by the beach. I agree. After following this thread for some time now I've come to the conclusion that we are limiting our vision to one place full-time and that's not usually the case. I've found that while I prefer the beach livng, I require some variation from time to time. The same thing all the time can be numbing. Getting to a mountain lake, hiking, enjoying nature is a great break and when I return to the ocean I appreciate it even more....

@gk5929 wrote:

Definitely by the beach - can not tolerate cold weather & playing bumper cars in the ice and snow.  Love the sound of ocean waves breaking on the shore, seagulls & children playing on the beach. Love my toes in the sand and the feel of the sun on my skin.

Regular Contributor

We made that very decision last October when we left California and moved to Ocean Shores, WA. I guess the city name describes our choice of ocean vs. mountains. We are two minutes from the Pacific but have the mountains close by on the Olympic Peninsula.

@AARPLynne wrote:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

I like both.  The calming sound of the ocean and the beauty of the mountains.  Take me to either one and I am happy.  

Periodic Contributor

An hour from the mountains and a half hour to the warm beaches. Southern California is the place to live.

Gold Conversationalist

If you can afford it. We moved to Florida.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP