Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Conversationalist

• Can I have the best of both worlds? The mountains out one window and the beach out the other. If I can only have one, it's the beach.
Kudos
Views
Contributor

Beach in winter

mtns in summer

Periodic Contributor

Well, it's a matter of personal taste that's influenced by personal experience....  However, for myself,  gimme year round living at the beach with some vacation trips into the mountains.      Explanation:   Driving on mountain roads during bad weather is scary....      Because of the ocean's effects, coastal roads don't stay frozen for very long   (they never freeze in states like Florida.)      For the East Coast,   Maine is the only place  where mountains are close to the sea.     You can stand on a mountain and you can see the ocean.    The situation on the West Coast is better.

Regular Contributor

MOUNTAINS!  Have you every looked DOWN on a rainbow? Awesome!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Mountains. I was born & raised on the Coastal Prairie...don't care for sand, salty air, skeeters, and hurricanes.

Contributor

Live near a mountain lake, visit the beach in the off season for not more than week.

Regular Contributor

Puuuurfect!  That's just what I do.

Contributor

One of the most difficult questions to answer, it took me years to come up with the right answer. It is both, but of course. That is why I became a half-back / snow bird. Late fall to early spring, the beaches of Saint Petersburg and area surrounding it. Late spring, after the pollen season, till Mid October, after the first wave of autumn color, the North Georgia Mountains. Hence the half-back, I was born on Cape Cod , moved to Florida in the late 80s, after 20 yrs., up to the mountains to cool off.

Regular Contributor

We do the same, except our beach home is Apalachicola. It is a city in Franklin County, Florida, United States, on the shore of Apalachicola Bay, an inlet of the Gulf of Mexico. (The only dog-friendly beaches left in FL.) The population was 2,231 at the 2010 census. Apalachicola is the county seat of Franklin County.near Applicalola - still unspoiled country

Mountains. Beach is nice to visit, but flat and claustrophobic on the land side. Give me seeing hills forever anyway you turn any day. And walking up and up until you can see forever. Problem is, my husband wants the beach, and I love the mountains. Will just have to work long enough until we can afford both!

Regular Contributor

B312.  Hawaii?

Periodic Contributor

MOUNTAINS! Born and raised in Colorado, I found peace and serenity in the mountains. Hike, ski, picnic -- always fewer people than at the beach. Cooler temperatures allow an escape from global warming that has made many parts of the USA too hot in the summer.
Contributor

I rather live by the beach and visit someone that likes the mountains 

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Exactly that, but in reverse.

Periodic Contributor

The beach for sure. I want to be able to hear the weather and waves 24/7. 

Contributor

Oh, the beach without question. It calms me. I love the smell and sounds. If you haven't visited Costa Rice, I highly recommend.

Contributor

BEEN THEREM DONE THAT, IT'S NICE FOR AWHILE BUT GETS OLD FAST

As a child, I vacationed with my parents at the beach.  One year, after I was married, I went to the Adirondack mountains with my wife. I learned that I am really a mountain man.  I never went back to the beach for more than a day.

Contributor

There is nothing more calming than the sound of the waves and the breeze coming off the ocean.

Agree
Periodic Contributor

i need a beach right now please send me to one

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

ROFLMAO

Me too
Kudos
Views

I'd rather live by the beach.  Better yet--right on the beach!  I can never get enough of it.  Sand, soft breeze, Palm trees, beautiful blue water, and a

Rum drink (only after all the snorkeling)!  Heaven!

Ditto
Super Contributor

At the front end, let me confess I absolutely despise cold weather. I'm 74 with a little arthritis and cold weather sucks. Warm, sunny days with a breeze at the ocean is ideal.

I was raised inland and the woods, mountains, lakes were my stomping grounds, camping, hiking, fishing, some sking โ€“ loved it all, cabins in the mountains on holidays โ€“ wonderful.

Then I turned 18, joined the US Navy, and fell in love with the ocean. Fishing, boating, sailing, diving, snorkeling, laying on the beach, boat drinks, bikinis, fresh seafood any time....For this old geezer the ocean has been my best girl for many decades. I still enjoy a brief trip to the mountains in the summer, but usually can't wait to get back to Mother, Mother Ocean...(Thanks Jimmy)....

Contributor

ditto!!!

Dbl.C.
Periodic Contributor

Inbetween! I would love to live where the mountains are an hour one way and the beach an hour in the other direction. To be able to get away to either locations would be awesome.

Contributor

I would prefer to live in both places (have 2 homes) as I love them both equally -- but since I'm a little more than an hour from both (I live in the high desert), suppose I'm in a nearly ideal location.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP