Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

Love the ocean (Oregon coast) but live in the mountains (Utah) and love the beauty of nature there.
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

haha; would love to have Florida warm water in Mission Bay (San Diego) California with Rocky Mountains (Grand Junction/Montrose) at my back... you had to ask.

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Gold Conversationalist

The perfect weather with beautiful scenery...
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Beach!

Regular Contributor

We made the beach choice in Oct. 2015 by moving from Central California to the Pacific Northwest. California had become way too expensive so we moved to Ocean Shores, WA and purchased a home on a canal and two minutes from the ocean. We love the extreme storms, clean air and variety of wildlife in our backyard (deer, mallards, crows, raccoons, herons, otters, coyotes).

Gold Conversationalist

Extreme storms sound like where we live...Florida. The weather is dicey.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Having summered at the beach,i wouldn't retire anywhere elsa

0 Kudos

Seashore for me...Bar Harbor Maine is heaven on earth !!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love the mountains and the water(ocean). Every time I visit the mountains I feel I'm home;that I lived there in a previous life.When I'm in the mountains,everything is so 2nd nature to me(I already know how to do things).I love the ocean too.I go shore fishing at least twice a month.I live in Los Angeles,and that is what makes it bearable to live here,definitely not the people.

0 Kudos

We love both water and mountains or maybe I should say hills We like beach and country .
0 Kudos
Contributor

The mountains are beautiful...but the winters can be long and cold. I'll take the beach. ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountains. Most beach areas are too hot!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the beach.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountains, without a doubt.  I can always visit the beach, but I love the mountains.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am a country girl - the ocean is a nice place to visit but I would not want the hazards and the upkeep costs to buy near there. Mountains are nice if there would be no snow. I prefer country near a small stream with wildlife. Just who I am.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'd rather live by the beach. Love the sound, makes me feel relaxed and peaceful. Clearwater I love.

Contributor

Would rather live in the Mountains as I grew up in California near the beach and yes its relaxing but the Mountains offer so much more than the Beach.   Serenity, beauty, peace, tranquility.

Every time I visit the Mountain range where ever I go, I just feel a sense of relief, take deep breaths and all care's go away.  Beauty of the animals, moutain tops, tree's, love it all

Jerri

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Neither of these.  While I love to stroll the beach at sunrise or sunset and enjoy a mountain hike,

I prefer living in the city where I have access to so many cultural venues. NYC has access to

many wonderful beaches and yet one can escape to the Hudson Valley and wander in a forest-like setting.  Everyone has his or her own idea of how time should be spent.  Whatever we decide, time

WILL be spent, so we must follow our hearts, especially our aging ones.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@castrono wrote:

Neither of these.  While I love to stroll the beach at sunrise or sunset and enjoy a mountain hike,

I prefer living in the city where I have access to so many cultural venues. NYC has access to

many wonderful beaches and yet one can escape to the Hudson Valley and wander in a forest-like setting.  Everyone has his or her own idea of how time should be spent.  Whatever we decide, time

WILL be spent, so we must follow our hearts, especially our aging ones.

Living at or very close to the ocean, hearing the soothing ocean waves, feeling the ocean breezes, smelling the salt air โ€“ it's comforting, relaxing and makes you (us) feel like we belong there. Never feel as good anywhere else โ€“ unless we're sailing. Then the wind and waves are all you hear as your boat cuts through waves, and the tinkle of ice as my wife makes a โ€œboat drinkโ€. Nothing better.

Bare boat charter out of Tortola, BVI, three couples, 10 days. Harbors at night (Bitter End is (was) just great.) It has been 20 years and I remember it like it was yesterday. In fact, the longer it gets, the better it was....

Was raised on a small farm in upstate NY. Been to many cities - can't stand any of them more than a few days. Unless your pretty rich, life sucks in the city, at least when compared to the options. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountain s

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live at the beach and love it. Hate the traffic but love the view....peaceful
Contributor

I live at the Delaware beach. My house is 9 feet above sea level and flood insurance is required. At the mountains I'm on much higher ground and no flood insurance is necessary.....that is why I moved to Ohio........

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I prefer to live near the beach because being near the water gives me peace and serenity.

0 Kudos

Perfect place for me would be in the mountains with a lake. Sitting on your

porch and looking across a lake and being able to see the beautiful mountains around you.  How wonderful! 

0 Kudos

Have lived on the continental divide and loved it. Would take the mountains any time
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Although I love the mountains and John Denver certainly did have a point, and I try to visit scenic mountain areas now and then - hiking in the summer, skiing in the winter - I think it would be impossible for me to live anywhere that I couldn't be at the ocean in a very short time. I've always lived on the East Coast and being on the beach, just watching the tide and the endless horizon, gives me a feeling of freedom from the pressure of the world. The seaside is like an 'escape hatch' and I would feel psychologically imprisoned if I didn't know that the ocean was nearby to escape to !

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Although I don't really want to l,ive close to the water, I want to be far away from the mountains. I hate cold weather & I am cold even in warm temps. I found staying near the water causes such a heavenly breeze that it makes me cold!!

0 Kudos

I would love to be by the beach,,

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

By the beach, but with private access.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have lived in the mountains my whole life. It's still breathtaking. I visit the beach occasionally to keep it special

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP