Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

They are both great! But in the end I guess I would choose the beach.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The beach live there now moved from the Pittsburgh area
0 Kudos
Contributor

mountains are so beautiful yu feel like your on top of the world
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Mountains because of the probability of tidal waves and changing coast line at the beach

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

mountains
0 Kudos
Contributor

Either as long as i can afford to retire!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Ocean is the best

The beach for sure...am just naturally drawn there, so am moving to Florida...aahhh..
0 Kudos
Contributor

Me too! Moving to Florida the end of January, perfect timing to escape the frozen tundra here in Wisconsin! Can't wait!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I lived in Mesa, AZ for over 4 years with my 2nd husband, before his drinking became too obsessive, we'd hike on the mid- to lower rung trails and it just felt so good!  You rarely ran into another person, it's as if you owned the mountain!  Sure, it was rugged--up and down but no round and round.

If you looked up to the sky, you'd see nothing but deep, deep blue--something you'd never see in Wisconsin.

The air smelled crystal clean and you'd just breathe in deeply as the trrail was straight enough to allow you to!

Most unfortunately, without even being aware my 29 yr. old daughter was in the hospital (because it was for only 1 and 1/2 days, after I came down from hiking, and after a nite's sleep, my son had called that my daughter had died from pneumonia--nobody expected that, that's why I didn't know she was in.

My former husband and I flew away from the mountains to the enfolding arms of my family.  It was about then, with enduring my husband's alcoholism and my Mom's aging and just their overall comfort and shared suffering, I decided to stay home here in Wisconsin.

My Mom now, will be 98 on the 19th, but now is in poor health.  I remember the sunsets behind the mountains--none that I've seen since.  I dream of going back and hope it comes true.

0 Kudos
Contributor

i prefer the beach

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like the sound of the water myself.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I like the sound of the ocean water myself. Babbling brooks, rivers, and streams. I enjoy being close to Mother Nature.
Periodic Contributor

I can't swim so the beach has never excited me; however, the mountains is the place to be...but not during the winter, too cold.  The mountains, especially in North Carolina, is where I want for the following:

1.  Slower pace of life.

2.  Shopping and sights.

But the most important is anywhere shared with my usband.

0 Kudos

beach
0 Kudos
Contributor

Very Nice Compromise..Sounds heavenly
0 Kudos
Contributor

the mountains no hurricanes

0 Kudos

I'd rather live in the mountains where the air is clear and crisp. Your lungs are renewed in a smog free environment.The mountains for me!
0 Kudos

Beach, without a doubt!
0 Kudos

Sounds great but not for me
0 Kudos
Contributor

I am partial to exotic Caribbiean islands that have a 3,000 foot small mountain or vulcano for pleasant viewing

tom

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@gd3211 wrote:

I am partial to exotic Caribbiean islands that have a 3,000 foot small mountain or vulcano for pleasant viewing

tom

And the name of that or those islands would be....?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Mangopop wrote:

And the name of that or those islands would be....?

Martinique is the home of Mount Pelee .. an active volcano; it's about 4,600'. Its worst eruption was in 1902, when 30,000 people died; most from the pyroclastic flows. Here's a list of other mountains in the caribbean: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountain_peaks_of_the_Caribbean. There are volcanoes on quite a few islands.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Beach

0 Kudos

Beach Scuba Diving,motorcycle Riding Swimming.

0 Kudos

My husband and I are definite beach people, but nothing beats Christmas in a mountain cabin!!!! 

0 Kudos

I Love the smell of the salt in the ocean and also Love the smell of fresh morning air in the montains , so I would have to say some where inbetween a little of both

@ppulaski1 wrote:
I have always loved the beach...the smell of the ocean and the sounds of the waves and cries of the birds are the most calming sounds to me. My husband, however, is a mountain man... He loves the silence of the woods. We compromise...summer in the mountains, winter by the beach.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love the ocean as well and there is where my heart is I love the smell of the ocean and the sea air  

0 Kudos
Contributor

BEACH for sure

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sounds like us!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP