Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ˜ฑ What is your BACKUP when you lose CELL SERVICE?

Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ˜ฑ What is your BACKUP when you lose CELL SERVICE?

We (well some of us) have ONLY a Cell Phone. Gone are the days when a Landline was around. Gosh, even the Public Telephone Booths have disappeared.

Do you have a way to make and receive calls "especially" during an emergency IF you LOSE CELL PHONE SERVICE?  ๐Ÿค”

If YES, what is it...

Thanks,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I may be wrong @Tempest332 - but I "think" @DirkB349973  said HIS location has them. Anyway, I guess I will need one of those I HAVE FALLEN & CANNOT GET UP buttons ๐Ÿ™„  On the "serious" side - the times T-mobile cell service was OUT, was not long and thank g.d I didnot need an ambulance or fire truck. Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Why?  I don't think many if any companies will give you a copper landline anymore, & people tend to remove wiring in remodels now. ***] 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Who is your provider in your area? 

The link below is to my provider. I live in Central Texas.

Phone Home Service | Brightspeed

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good question @cat0w and one I will need to ask. At the moment I am in BOTH Virginia and Florida while I SLOWLY (VERY SLOWLY) move back to Florida. Left Florida in 2015 and NEED to be "closer" to my only child, a daughter as I age. 66 this year and LUV VIRGINIA. HATE FLORIDA. Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @cat0w wrote:

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Who is your provider in your area? 

The link below is to my provider. I live in Central Texas.

Phone Home Service | Brightspeed ***]

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@cat0w   , thank you for responding. Is your landline through a LOCAL company? Mine was through the OLD Bellsouth in Florida. Looks like I need another landline. Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @cat0w wrote:

I still have my landline phone. My cell phone is with Straight Talk that is now a part of Verizon.  ***]

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

My landline is through Brightspeed.

Conversationalist

What is landline? Are we talking about "copper wire" or just "home phone". I understand  copper wire is going away in 2025. A lot of so called landline is actually carried by internet.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@sc10 

My home phone (landline) is connected to the same wiring that is attached to the Utility Pole behind my house. It has been there for over thirty years, if not

longer.

Merriam-Webster definition for landline.

Landline.jpg

I am a retired fire inspector, have been retired for over sixteen years. The last time I inspected the phone company building all the old switches were gone and only about a fourth of the building held the new computerized equipment.

Trusted Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

Now that was when I was age 50, will be 66 this year!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You are just a "spring chicken".

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

What I miss is the kind that comes in over copper phone lines to your house and does not come through the Internet. Old-school phone lines typically work even when the power is off because the voltage is very low and it comes in over the line. if I had one of those lines, I would have an old Bell telephone that doesn't need to be plugged in to house current. You can still get that service where I live but it costs $40-$50 a month and I'm not willing to pay that.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Okay, so the OLD SCHOOL home phone is still around. Thanks @DirkB349973 , that was my question. I am on my daughter's T-Mobile Cell and Mobile wifi (a tiny unit I travel with) and she is in FLORIDA. I am thinking COX who does the "internet/cable" here in Virginia (I am NOT a customer) probably offers the INTERNET VERSION. Nope, lol - that GOES OUT when their service does. Yes, miss my old Bellsouth Home Phone. Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** DIRK @DirkB349973 wrote:

What I miss is the kind that comes in over copper phone lines to your house and does not come through the Internet. Old-school phone lines typically work even when the power is off because the voltage is very low and it comes in over the line. if I had one of those lines, I would have an old Bell telephone that doesn't need to be plugged in to house current. You can still get that service where I live but it costs $40-$50 a month and I'm not willing to pay that. ***]

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

The home phone I have is a internet based VOIP service from OOMA. I am paying abut $6+ per month. My backup for power outage is an UPS battery to run the modem, router and the Ooma box. The internet service usually is active even during a power outage.

Trusted Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I still have my landline phone. My cell phone is with Straight Talk that is now a part of Verizon.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

If there is internet service, wifi calling will be the back up for cellular, provided there is a smart phone. Otherwise, the options are very limited.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I am withT-Mobile and feel sorry for the At&t customers with the recent loss of service. Made we think about the OPTIONS and realize I had none. Finally gave up my LANDLINE several years ago when I moved in with my last ex. His house didnot have one.

Anyway, wondering what you guys have in place.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP