Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Technology Tuesday - How to Increase Your Internet Speed at Home

Community Manager
Community Manager

Technology Tuesday - How to Increase Your Internet Speed at Home

Have you experienced slow internet speeds while video chatting, streaming movies, or working from home? Try these tips to improve your internet speed ⬇️

Do you have any other tips to share? Hit reply!

Honored Social Butterfly

Later this week I think I will be installing the best device for increased up/download speeds for one family .

With 4 kids , 2 parents and cells, pc’s and Mac’s, printers x3, TV’s x7, Alexa, talking WiFi fridge, dishwasher, nest camera, lock on doors, Light, lamps, security cams, Ad nauseum.

All told I think 🤷‍♂️ they have 40-50. devices running on their WiFi network or through it like cell phones for a 1-bar neighborhood.

In 3,000 ft. Square old farm house- the magic device is called mesh network, with Router and extenders. Cost is $300-400 and does allow going through horse hair plaster, similar to concrete judging by my house/garage.

All connect to the single dsl/cable modem And allow the signal to wring out every bit of data without slowing. In theory all should work at same time without WiFi signal degradation.

There’s a reason I truly hate smart homes, trying to plan for additions can be a pita.What may work now if my count is right may not work with the addition of new toys on their network.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Just some random thoughts on items the video did not cover. Not in any particular order:

1) ISP provided gateways are usually not the best in the WiFi area. You may want to consider bypass the gateway router and use you own better router or add wifi extender.

2) Most routers broadcast in two frequencies. 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz. 5 is faster but the range and wall penetrating power is less. 2.4 is slower but can travel farther. Test both and see which on give you better results.

3) Direct connection with ethernet cable is always better than wifi, but sometime it is not practical. Consider using a power line adapter which kind of turn you house wiring to ethernet cable. Then you can get connected to the router via the wall outlets.

4) If you need to upgrade your router, consider getting the latest "Wifi 6" equipment. You most likely will not see any benefit immediately because most devices are compatible to Wifi 5 or Wifi 4 only. Some new cell phones are already equip with Wifi 6. The other devices will definitely follow in the near future.

5) If you device, especially laptop only has 2.4 wifi frequency band, you can get a 5GHz wifi 5 usb wifi dongle. It is a very inexpensive upgrade and I experienced excellent bandwidth improvement on my laptop. I have not seen any affordable wifi 6 dongle yet.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good post, eZ view the list of available networks and what they use around you.

In my back water town all ai see is 2.4 GHz networks for cable and dsl. Only one network is 2.4 & 5 GHz (mine), updated 1 & 5 years back.

DSL doesn’t have the same slowing as cable with everyone and their granny using these days. Also pumped up my speed with new router, WiFi was separate box $50 for better security.

$20 for extender and $20 for new dongle or less, depending upon laptop. Mine or another’s.

@cat0w 

How much bandwidth is needed depends upon how much slowing you have now.

Really no easy answer. Makeuseof did a eZ to follow video on it at start of pandemic, when most were 🤬😡 at their provider, and free upgrades in service were available.

Perhaps with the second wave they’ll offer again. Not on laptop otherwise I’d give a link.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP