Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Low-cost Internet Services

I am now paying 51.00 mo. for Frontier Internet. I do not qualify for the government program but will be forced to cancel internet services if I cannot find something lower in cost. I realize that is asking a lot, since $51 is a low cost. Are there any programs which assist in paying internet bills? Like everyone else nowadays, it would be almost impossible to just pay bills and have access to the rest of the world without it. I do not need a high-speed service, although I do a lot of research online and frequently download a number of articles and research papers. I can be patient with a lower speed, as long as it is reliable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

3 comments ๐Ÿ–ฅ Friday - November 25, 2022 9pm EST ๐Ÿ–ฅ

I use a mobile unit called a COOLPAD from T-Mobile which has its own line. It is very "tiny". And can be used with laptop, computer, iPad and so on. The neat part is I can travel with it as needed. Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted this I found the Affordable Connectivity Plan through a government program. My internet had gone up to $61 mo. then I found this plan that reduced my cost to $9 month through Frontier, my current provider. The FCC -Federal Communication Comm. is sponsoring it. www.fcc.gov/acp is the official site.

One caveat, what with all the "URL Squatters", be sure the padlock icon is at the front of the URL. These so-called Squatters add malicious URL hashes just waiting for us to make a typo, then we get redirected to a browser hijack, maybe a look-alike page containing Trojans. These malicious URLs contain the common typos that are possible when entering a website manually. There is no end to it.

While I am on the subject, I have noted a number of items of security that have not been included in your online safety articles. There are simple things to look for in emails and texts which will immediately show if it is legit. I try to keep up with all this through the Malwarebytes and McAfee Blogs, as well as CNet, Bleeping Computer, and HowToGeek. These are all well regarded in cyber security. If interested, I will be glad to provide references to security items to keep us seniors safe online. I  not an expert, but I keep up with it, and I know who the experts are. Just to give a lonely old man something helpful to do, let me know if I can assist. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Hi @GuitarMan55 , you are welcome and glad you found an option that fits your needs. Sure, whatever AARP "allows" to be posted is fine with me. Lol, Senior myself and NOT in luv with the "online" surfing. Too busy enjoying my "real" world. Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do not surf the web, either, but I do a lot of research in the pharmacological and neurobiology areas, as well as all the emails and texts. So I need to take care in that I do not land on a site full of Ransomware or Trojans, keystroke loggers, or spyware installs.I don't do social sites, none that impersonal stuff. But where most of us get tripped up is with malicious emails and texts. These are where people get taken in and ripped off. 

Conversationalist

You may want to look into T-Mobile home wireless internet. It is a 5G service, unlimited data, equipment included for $50/month plus up to about 12% fees and taxes. You have to check with T-Mobile to see if the service is available at your location. Some users are getting fantastic data speed but some were disappointed.

Another option is what I am using that may or may not work for your situation. I have AT&T Unlimited Elite Mobile Service. Unlimited text, calls, mobile data and 40 Gb of data for tethering. I have 5 lines  in my account (do not need to be family members or from the same state) and the cost is $45 per line plus taxes and fees that vary from  $5 to $10 depends on where you are. AARP members have a $10 discount per line (not sure the discount is applied to every one if the account holder is AARP or only for each AARP member). If you can use your cell phone for most of your internet work, this will be ideal. For video entertainment, HBOMax is included. You can wire connect your cell to the TV, or mirror/cast the cell screen to TV and that save your tethering data.

Social Butterfly

@GuitarMan55 

What other providers do you have where you live? Have you checked what service and speeds they have and the price?

What Is a Good Internet Speed? | HighSpeedInternet.com

Different Wi-Fi Protocols and Data Rates (intel.com)

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP