Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Landline Phone Service Options

Trusted Contributor

Landline Phone Service Options

My landline phone service with AT&T continues to increase - apparently due to copper wire.  At any rate, trying to find out what landline phone service others are using.  I call out of state often so I need a service with unlimited out-of-state calling option.  Thanks.

Info Seeker

Now might be a good time to consider switching to a cell phone.
There are a lot of affordable phone plans, some with prepaid minutes, and also post paid cell services where you pay for services you plan to use. Either way, maybe look into Lively's JitterBug Flip Phone, or Consumer Cellular's Link ll.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I'm looking too. I want a real landline as a redundancy since I live in earthquake country. The nearby cell tower could easily be taken out. On the other hand while visiting elsewhere, I went through a thunderstorm that fried the home internet connection and VOIP with it so I'm not interested in revisiting that scenario. 

0 Kudos

The iphone 14 has satellite capabilites.

There realy are no options for landline except verizon or at&t I believe. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

We have Frontier copper-wire, but they are not signing up any new customers, and we are looking at switching to fiber/VOIP.  The Frontier (formerly Verizon/GTE) copper wire network is slowly deteriorating in our area and has become less reliable.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

If you have internet, trying VOIP is quite easy. All you need is a free Google Voice number and a Google Voice adapter. The adapter has a power brick, ethernet input port and phone output port. You can use your existing corded or cordless phone with the phone jack. With Google Voice, you can call US and Canada for free.Install the Google Voice app in you cell phone, you can do text messages and voice calls from that too.

Bronze Conversationalist

I really want to get away from Spectrum-too costly ! I have a Captioned phone, two landlines, no cell.Since i'm not a geek, I have trouble figuring out a combo of phone, internet, & t.v. that won't break the bank.Any suggestions would be appreciated !

Sandee2
Conversationalist

Without cell phone or involving internet, I think options are limited.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I have Ooma voip service for over 10 years and it has been working very well. What you need is broadband internet service and your calls are made through internet. The basic service will give you free calls to 50 states and Porto Rico. The monthly fee are taxes and 911 fees. It depends on where you live and I pay less than $6 a month. You can also install an app on your cell phone and make calls to US from anywhere in the world when you have internet. Hardware wise you need an Ooma box that connects to your home wifi or with an ethernet cable. You can connect a cordless phone system to cover your whole house. Or you can isolate the house phone wiring from the existing AT&T  system and back feed the Ooma system to a wall jack to connect to to whole house. You can get the Ooma box from Amazon, Best Buy. Occasionally from Costco for $70 that includes a handset also.

0 Kudos
Contributor

'Thanks for this information. I'm a Senior, been on Consumer Cellular since 2015 with few problems; now my spouse has dementia, can't remember how to use the flip phone o (no way he could understand an Android) and has lost his 2nd flip in the past 18 months. I've dropped his line on the account since I cannot find the phone; it goes straight to vm when I call, so it's either lost, dead or ??. What I'm asking for is a home/land line that he could use to call emergencies or me if I happened (not likely) to be out away from him or for me to call and check on him with the caregiver/nurse. Sounds like the VOip might work, but I need to stay with a tight budget. Suggestions and advise greatly desired and appreciated. Daisy

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Windstream.

Super Contributor

In addition to the Tags:

Spectrum, Verizon and Xfinity

There is also Lifeline landline service.

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Consumer Cellular has a "home phone base" for about $50 to use like a landline on their network.  Only $15/mo extra line charge, and they will port over your current landline number.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

AT&T had something similar at least up till 2021 for $19.99.   It was basically a Cellular base you plugged into a phone jack that converted your home wiring into a single cell phone. 

As the OP stated cost increases (mine was forever increasing I went to a VOIP), Why would the price of copper be raising the price of a Landline, the infrastructure is already there.  The real reason for increase was higher profits & the fact they really wanted customers to cancel their land lines.   

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP