Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

How to stop pop up ads

Please tell me there's a way to stop, or at least minimize, annoying pop-up ads?

Contributor

i In my case, the AARP popups were being generated by the AARP Perks extension to my Edge browser. Getting rid of the extension, resolved the problem. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARP is one of the worst popup ad offenders.   Every time I open a Chrome landing page a large AARP popup comes up.  This has been going on for over 2 weeks. I canโ€™t find any information on their website as to how to stop it.  Shame on AARP.  

Kudos
Views

AARP is the ONLY pop-up ad I get, and it's obnoxious. Covers over a quarter of the page. Shame on them is right. Now how do I get rid of it? Is there  a way to block AARP cookies? Is that what has caused it?

Contributor

Same here, in fact AARP is the only one I can't get rid of.

Contributor

I have the same issue re aarp pop ups. It comes up when I open my company's website. Very annoying!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Some newspapers have a pop up wanting you to subscribe before you can read the webpage.  Often, you can stop it to read the page by just clicking the "X" refresh button on your browser before the page script fully loads.  You will probably have to refresh the page several times before you succeed.  For example, this webpage:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/16/sleuths-falsely-identify-rioters/

Regular Contributor

I highly recommend AdBlocker Plus.

Conversationalist

If you are talking about Android mobile phones, there are third party apps that associate pop-up ads with with the apps you installed. You can then stop the pop-up by deleting the app or in some cases, stop the notification of the app.

Silver Conversationalist

On phones or tablets, oftentimes turning on Airplane Mode works to quell pop up ads too.

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Conversationalist

Well, I have to think about this one. If you turn on Airplane mode, you have no pop-ups but you are cut off from phone service ( call and tax) , and internet. I suppose you can work on the "local" apps like calculator and take pictures. I would consider the phone is not functional as a communication device. Or you can have wifi on when the airplane mode is on. But then the pop-ups will come.

Silver Conversationalist

Quite true, your response but I wasn't suggesting that a phone be permanently set to airplane mode. And I also was thinking only of pop ups in games. I don't get may popups on my phone because I only use it mostly as a phone. Games however will often show ads for other games between stages on phone apps. That's what I was thinking of. I have a tablet and/or a laptop for web browsing and that's where popup ads usually appeared for me but everyone's situation is different, I'm sure. The OP didn't really make clear what activity she was engaged in or what she was using when these ads appeared but maybe you know better than I. 

Social Butterfly

The question re Ads was for the pop-ups on my Mac Laptop

Silver Conversationalist

Several to choose from here - https://www.lifewire.com/best-ad-blockers-for-safari-4768618

Silver Conversationalist

Okay, I'll bite, there really IS a way to stop ads that pop up unexpectedly so on web pages. Go here to read more about how to accomplish that. Wikipedia - Ad Blocker Info

I highly recommend this response. Ad Blocker is free (Donations appreciated) and is extremely effective at blocking pop-up ads and some categories of on-screen ads. Note, I have no affiliation with this company, I just really like their product.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

On several of my browsers I had to get rid of AD Block Plus as It or I found it was hard to manually block 'elements' of certain web pages ie news sites with a large screen blocking "your using a ad blocker" warning. I went with the regular AD Block as it was easier to manually block elements of a web page. But alas the web page creators are getting craftier every day to thwart the ad blockers so I just click close tab and search for a news site that I can read.

Oh and BTW if you AD Block YouTube the video poster will not get monetization money for the video. So keep that in mind if your trying to help out a channel to make money.

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
Honored Social Butterfly

I have had AdBlock Plus added to my browser for years. It completely eliminates ads here on AARP, especially on the games platform (they were annoying). It is free and easy to install.

Silver Conversationalist

@nctarheel wrote:

I have had AdBlock Plus added to my browser for years. It completely eliminates ads here on AARP, especially on the games platform (they were annoying). It is free and easy to install.

I installed AdBlocker & it did stop 99% of the AARP popup ads on the Denise Austin videos BUT how are the ads for Arkansas, Kindrid Home Health, and just today 9/29/22 Mattress Firm slip through. ?? ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP