Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contact Tracing App - Would You Use?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Contact Tracing App - Would You Use?

There has been a lot of chatter about how smartphones can be used to prevent pandemics, especially when it comes to contact tracing. Would you use a contact tracing app? Why or why not?

Trusted Contributor

I really doubt it would work on my old phone and I ain't/can't buy a $400 phone for it to work.

Plus I always have my data/wifi turned off and only turn on the Bluetooth for my earbuds. I just checked, I only used 14MB of data last month LOL. And since my belt holster is getting pretty ragged I may just start leaving it at home as I already got enough stuff in my pockets. (that'll make the app really really really usefull/less).

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Maryland finally implemented one.   And yes, I signed up.    The faster this pandemic is over, the better.  Whatever helps.

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I use one created by the state of New York.

Nancy Ray
Trusted Social Butterfly

Looks like rosiera touched on the key issue.  Any App that anybody uses needs to be evaluated rigorously based on its collection/use of personal data.  We are in an age where our personal information, no matter how trivial or vital it may seem, is absolutely priceless.  And is as apt to be used to our disadvantage as to our advantage.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, I have.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I am using one developed for the state of Virginia. I would be hesitant if I thought there were privacy issues with the app, but this uses Bluetooth technology to let you know if you have had contact or been near someone with covid-19, while keeping identities anonymous. It does rely on having enough users for the data to be valid, though, and last I heard participation was only at about 12%. So, if you live in Virginia, I would encourage you to get the covid app for Virginia. It could provide you with a warning of exposure before any symptoms occur, so you will be able to be proactive. 

YES! Testing and contact tracing helps us track the spread of the virus and alert people who have been exposed so they can isolate and get medical help. At present we have no way of telling when we come into contact with someone who has no symptoms and is shedding virus. And that includes ourselves. A contact tracing app takes the guesswork out of it and helps us stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Contributor

Yes I would.  If it helps to get this COVID over with!  So tired of having my wings clipped. So tired of worrying every time I go out that this is the day I get it.  I would do almost anything. 

Contributor

Yes.  Of course!

Contributor

No!  It would be something else to have to keep up with.  If you have to enter data for "over the day" activity then it becomes a task and I have enough to keep up with (meds, temp, blood pressure, shopping, cleaning, walking the dog, etc) where does it stop?

0 Kudos
Contributor

It stops when everyone becomes proactive. 

Contributor

It stops when you're dead because of the virus and not taking it more seriously.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Install and go.  That's it.  No sign-in.  No entering personal data.  Doesn't care who you are, where you live, where you go.  No data entry whatsoever.  The only time you enter anything is if you test positive.  Bluetooth will identify users in range of a possible exposure.  Doesn't identify the perp, but hopefully, if someone tests positive, they are isolating, not out & about in proximity of other peeps.

COVIDWISE is probably one of the least invasive, needy apps I have.  I don't even have to check in, it will alert me if there is a possible exposure.  😷 

Honored Social Butterfly

@sm45343754 
No activity needs to be entered on Bluetooth enabled devices, like smart cellphones, smart watches, Fitbit’s, etc.

Programming would be handled via updates-short range 33’ max. Range between enabled devices.

Then to wifi or cellular networks.

Your location, and others surrounding you, would be tracked much as they can or might be now, depending upon privacy settings of your device.

Or app installed- pretty much as simplified as I can get.

Fair warning if this doesn’t make usual sense typing by candlelight .😷

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Contributor

Live life in a protective bubble if you are afraid but there are things to be more afraid of. The buying power of your dollar (that is if you still have a job}, inflation from businesses trying to recoup some of their lost earnings {that is if the business still exists} and who in the end actually pays for all this. There is no such thing as free money, the tax payer funds it in the end. I do not need big brother, apple, google tracking me in the guise they know what is best for you. Tech is good when in the right hands but eventually someone will learn to weaponize it. No, I do not care to get it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CraigH919190 

Personally my opinion of tracking app’s has changed since initial misgivings of technology or the tracking app and COVID-19 exposure.

217,918 dead in US,

Totalcases dead (dependent on t updates) 

Exposure of 30 in next town, would prefer to know the hot zones to avoid or where some may be spreading the joy.Testing positive or still undetected it takes some 24-48 hours to pop on a test or other just become spreaders like impootus and his fellow unmasked spreaders like former Jersey governor who thought the WH with theoretically constant testing was safe - NOT.

I’m of the delicate age, still employed (necessary business), I own the place, and have had to scatter too many friends and partners, losing count. (5)

Put me down for tracking , in most parts of my state Maine just not there , yet. There are parts where no cell signal can penetrate as yet. Wifi and internet still dreams in some parts of state where it’s either 56k dial-up modems , line of sight to telephone poles on street, or satellite only.

Until that magic moment when new watch arrives, WH decides the herd mentality is another crock of 💩. I’ll remain masked, gloved, etc.

It’s still a free world? Although some I question for intelligence(POOTUS)/sarcasm 101.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Contributor

Yes I would gladly use a tracing app.

This app would help people and possibly slow the virus by quarantine them 14 days. Where now, those infected to not mention or do not feel the need to tell you whom they contacted. Early detection from this app would saves lives. Along with social distancing, hand washing, wearing face masks, tracing app for COVID-19 should be a recommendation and a mandatory requirement.

@AARPRachelA wrote:

There has been a lot of chatter about how smartphones can be used to prevent pandemics, especially when it comes to contact tracing. Would you use a contact tracing app? Why or why not?

app

Contributor

Do not drink, do not smoke, do not do drugs, do not eat sugar, fast food or processed grains and you could save tens of millions of lives each and every year and save on health care costs.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

🙏And wear a mask !  🤗

Sandee2

I downloaded COVIDWISE.  It is a app available inVA.  I wish everyone would.  The app is really only effective if the majority of people download it.  This app does not "invade" your privacy.  That was done a long time ago with social apps and marketing cookies that track your buying habits.  COVIDWISE could save your life.

Honored Social Butterfly

Back in August, the COVIDWISE app became available in the state of Virginia.  I installed it almost immediately.  COVIDWISE is the joint effort of Apple and Google, and as far as I know, it is still not available in any other state.  Uses bluetooth, not location tracking, no sign-in or personal info necessary to install and use. 

Strictly voluntary, but of course the more people who use it, the more effective.  Have received no exposure alerts, but if I had tested positive and posted it on COVIDWISE (it's all strictly anonymous), I don't think I would be out and about or coming close enough to other people to register an alert on their app.  However, if an exposure alert is detected, you receive a push notification, but the "perp" is not identified.

BTW, I also signed up to participate in Fitbit's COVID-19 study.  If they want to use my health & fitness data to help researchers detect the flu and COVID more quickly, I'm in.

Honored Social Butterfly

Not really my day for deep thoughts but, I’d think in a normal time using this would be a good thing.

Max range of 33 to 320 something feet On BLuetooth. No problem if information is kept private/anonymous as promised by Apple and Google.

Ask me again after someone learns how to scrape the data from the cloud, hackers or governments, and what they learn from it.

Or after the WH in all there infinite wisdom demands, access to any public shared information from locked down devices.

For now Apple has been good at delivering on their promises to keep private data exactly that.

But, even they have been hacked and information shared from cloud. Same with google cloud services.etc.

Froze

If this app COVIDwise is used in other states to give people an assurance that it is safe for them then it needs to be available is all the other states.  I plan to research further for our senior and others in NJ. 

GloriaD, NJ is covered. NJ DOH has 'covid alert nj' listed on App Store. If you're not using Apple check the Google equivalent. I'm glad you've got a useable app. FL doesn't.

Honored Social Butterfly

Apple with their latest iOS update 13.7 has included an exposure notification slider.

https://appletrack.org/ios-13-7-released-with-better-covid-19-notifications-support/

Tried my area backwoods of Maine and it’s a no go for the moment.

I have more faith in Apples abilities then  google for exposure warning.

14 may arrive Mid September. Happy feet my battery has lasted  after latest update to 13.7 not a fix but, battery is lasting.🤣

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP