Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Account Wizard....?

In most cases, when logging in to a site, I can click on the link or type in the address,& success.

Then again, with some sites, I apparently need to set up an account with 'Account Wizard' first.

I then leave that site. What is the purpose of this ?

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I would be concerned with a request for such information.  The one thing you said that makes this less suspicious is that this occurrs on familiar sites.

My theory is that your Browsers cache that remembers these things is being flushed occasionally possbly by some Security Software you have installed and thus your signin inofrmation is gone from the browser.  So when you revisit the site it asks for your signin. 

Does this Account Wizard as you call it always look the same or is it a different look on every site?

Do you have your Browser set to remember passwords?

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

This does happen on a few-very few sites. This Account Wizard always looks the same. No, the browser does not remember passwords. I don't use a password manager, either. In any case, when this wizard thing appears, I leave the site.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Leaving the site is very good practice!  I would do the same thing.  Unless you can figure out why this is happening it will pay to be extra careful.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ss11943859   This is a suggestion, do a Google search and then click on images and see if you can find anything that looks like what you are seeing. See example image below. Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

AARPaccountwizard19.jpg

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I just wrote to Microsoft about this-then I'll probably call Spectrum & 'argue/discuss' this issue. I did Google Wizard, & did find it. It doesn't make sense to me. If I find something out, I'll post it here, might help someone else. Thanks !

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ss11943859  What type of device and operating system are you using?

What do you mean by Account Wizard?

I have a lot of accounts, once setup I use the User Name and Password that I have chosen for that account. For AARP I use the drop down menu and click on My Account then I sign in. See image below.

AARPSignIntoAccount.jpg

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Lenovo desktop--Windows 8.1

Here's the message I get : "In order to receive messages, you need to set up an account. Account Wizard will collect the necessary info to set up the account. If you do not know the information, contact system administrator or your ISP."

I looked up 'Account Wizard' & it seems to be connected with setting up a business. A scam ? I don't get it !

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Is this a new account for email, or is this a newer computer , with upgraded operating system.

would really need to answer more questions to get an answer.

There are several reason why you may be put at an account wizard screen.

New email, new isp, what are you doing when the screen pops up.

Are you logging into someone elseโ€™s WiFi as a guest or is it free access ( might be nervous for that).

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

No new p.c., 'same old' operating system. Not using someone elses. Nothing different. This happens only on occaison, on different sites, ones i'm familiar with already. I think I'll check with the ISP-they should have an answer, don't you think ? Thanks for your help, Frozenoem Woman Happy

Sandee2
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP