Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where to turn for help at home?

My mother is a 78-year-old woman with COPD, who can barely breath and whom is still recovering from a broken pelvis.  Mom lives here with me.  Up until now she has been the homemaker here (while my VA disability paid the bills) but now she is no longer capable of it.  I am 100% VA disabled.  As such, it is impossible for me to take my mother's place as the homemaker into perpetuity.  I'm just not capable of it.  We tried the Medicaid waiver thingy but they turned her down because they say she doesn't own the house.

Can anyone offer suggestions that would help us?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Medicaid fully expects to recoup the money they pay back when the recipient dies.

Does Your mother have income? If so, can she/you pay for a few hours a week for help? I had a neighbor who had a lady come in 3 days a week for a few hours and she cooked up meals for the week, cleaned the house, and did laundry. Hope this helps. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CMHBuckY Kudos to you for taking on this challenge. Does she have Medicare or private insurance? Often you can get at home help thru them. You can also talk with her Dr and see if they have any suggestions. My Dad has been struggling with COPD for years and it’s heartbreaking to see that on a daily basis. Good luck and God bless you both

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP