Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Financial Help

Message 1 of 22

@DennisG695405 I can imagine how stressful this is for you! And the extra costs from late fees etc. really add up fast. 

Have you thought about setting up your bill payments on auto-pay - either through the companies you are paying or through your own bank? That can eliminate late fees. But you’ll need to ensure enough money is in your account every month. 

Here in the AARP Online Community, we have a forum on Budget and Savings. AARP also has some great online resources on budgeting here: online Budget Calculator and articles on Living on a Budget.

Your county Cooperative Extension service generally offers free classes to help with financial management (they do more than farming and gardening and have locations in urban areas too). Contact your state’s Cooperative Extension service to ask about local classes. And you can take their online courses on Personal Finance too!

There are organizations like credit.org that offer free online courses too. 

I hope this is helpful! If you let me know the state you live in I can tell you how to find your Cooperative Extension office too! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

Hello,

I'm going to try this, however I'm not real sure I'll be able to locate your response. I accidently stumbled on this page.  Anyway, would you have any ideas on how I can get preferably free if not cheap refresher in home budgeting.  I was raised well and taught how to budget.  However, over the years I'm not able to keep my checkbook balanced.  If debits and checks cleared immediately it would help me.  It doesn't help I have very bad attention deficit disorder which makes me forget easy.   In this example, if debits and checks don't clear immediately I forget to follow up efficiently which generally ends up in bank fees for them transferring money needed.   I also am good at paying bills, however I keep intending to pay Bill's frequently passing the due dates/grace periods.  You guessed it I'm hit with late fees almost non-stop.  Then certain things require me to have funds automatically deducted from my account for payments.  This I often forget about spending the money meant fir those Bill's.  I seemed to have lost total control of my finances and not being able to keep checkbook balanced often don't help me at all.  Again, paying my Bill's is simply putting off.  In my ADHD mind I'm saying daily I need to pay Alliant, Charter, or U.S. Cellular.  However because of the severity of my disorder I'm very easily distracted frequently leading to late fees.  Charter $10.00 and U.S. Cellular $5.00 each month.  PLEASE HELP ME!   Thanks in advance for your time. 

Signed,

Frustrated 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

Hi @IreneG143440 :  Sorry to hear about this predicament.  Talk about a kick in the gut.  So, did I read your post correctly that your brother is suing you for $1000.00?     Most matters are best handled through mediation rather than extended litigation and I am wishing you luck in your search for a mediator.   It's such a small amount of money, I hope this can be resolved without a lot of expense.  Have you filed a response or asked the court or clerk for guidance?  For all people who've been sued,  it's critical to  be sure you address any deadlines/timelines to respond to a lawsuit.

And yes, I'll second you on the importance of receipts.  They are a necessity.  If you were to end up in a guardianship situation with a loved one, for example, you would have to show accountings to the court (this means an accounting with adequate supportive documents like receipts, cancelled checks, proof of payment).

Please keep us posted and know that I am wishing you the best of luck.

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22
Hi, I'm new to this blog, read . Did you ever figure it out? I am unfortunately in similiar right now.
Live in Virginia. No Help from any Siblings.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22

Main caregiver of Mom, she does live in a Memory Care Facility, however I am the one who has always visiting, buying sundries.. etc.

I am reaching out to ask for a Mediator.

Brother has brought a lawsuit against me, for a 2 checks in 2017,2018 reimbursed myself for Aides that I paid in cash.  total of $1000.00 and change.

Brother has not visited, helped in her care.. nothing.  I have spent so much on Mom, without thinking twice..   Well over 3000., Lawyer wants "receipts"..    

My Bad, because, I just take care of her, and.. NO I DID NOT KEEP RECEIPTS, 

just never thought it would come to this...

Am at Wits end.

My life is being sucked away slowly, I am happy to care and pay for Mom when she needs.

BUT.. atty says it will cost 4k to take him to court to fight the allegations.

So in the end, I could really use a mediator to help resolve this crazy to avoid any more stress or court for Mom.

And  .... ATTN CAREGIVERS..  hard as it may be. . gotta keep them reciepts.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

@c274851r wrote:

I'm the spouse & caregiver to my disabled husband. He's 59 & gets disability from SSI. He has medicare not medicaid. He was diagnosed with MS in 1994. We've done good, I've worked full time until last year. His body use is deteriorating. He can not walk without assistance walker or wheelchair. He can't be alone but maybe an hour or two. Trying to keep up with his personal care, cleaning, & meals, etc. Just alot & we cannot afford not having my income. He perfers me taking care of him. I'm trying to find in SC, some financial assistance but haven't found anything. I'm 60. We've borrowed all we can from life insurance, I've had to use all of what I saved in 401k & IRA. I'm lost as to what I do now. Any suggestions?

Hi there. It sounds like you love your husband very much, AND ALL the burden is on you. Here are some ideas.

Your area may have services he's eligible for. Of course he prefers you. He'll have to get acquainted with a few more caregivers if he is to honor his promise to help YOU. And maybe there are free or subsidized service for disabled in your area. He is younger than 60, when elder care services tend to start, but there should be services all the same. I've found the easiest way is to type in your zip code into www.eldercare.gov, and call the agency that pops up. Ask if they can assist your husband given his age, and if not, is there an ADRC or other agency that will. Then ask what they have, especially respite care, which is help that gives you a break.

Do you own your home? Do you have savings? Do you have an accountant, financial planner, or attorney? It's time to 'bite the proverbial bullet' and do some long term planning which allows for the best possible care for him while at the same time preserving your financial health for your own future. Although lawyers are not inexpensive, you will benefit from bringing all your financial information to one in order to discuss what assets can be preserved (like your house if you own it, and your car) and what he can realistically benefit from eventually, like long term care medicaid.  this is hard stuff, tedious, and really complicated, based on state and federal laws. But it really needs to be done, so that you both know what you're facing.

It would also be really good if you both could enlarge the caregiving circle. Do you have children? Does he have siblings? Cousins? Friends? Former coworkers? Some folks who can visit, give you a break?  Social isolation for you and him is a natural development of your situation, but it doesn't have to be. You both need social support. 

What do you think about all this?  Please write back. And thank you for sharing your situation

Jane

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

I'm the spouse & caregiver to my disabled husband. He's 59 & gets disability from SSI. He has medicare not medicaid. He was diagnosed with MS in 1994. We've done good, I've worked full time until last year. His body use is deteriorating. He can not walk without assistance walker or wheelchair. He can't be alone but maybe an hour or two. Trying to keep up with his personal care, cleaning, & meals, etc. Just alot & we cannot afford not having my income. He perfers me taking care of him. I'm trying to find in SC, some financial assistance but haven't found anything. I'm 60. We've borrowed all we can from life insurance, I've had to use all of what I saved in 401k & IRA. I'm lost as to what I do now. Any suggestions?

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

@brianm715472wrote:

What to do to get paid to be a caretaker for a friend ?

BrianM715472:

HERE is a hepful article that might give you insight into exploring options for this. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

If their spouse is a veteran, you can apply for spousal benefits. I went through Senior Veterans Council and they helped me for free.  If you want them to file for you, it costs $1,300 but it is so much easier and they step-by-step guide you and check that the paperwork they send is very accurate. Also way faster than if you do the filing yourself. Do it asap and when approved, they pay you retroactively in a lump sum WHILE still receiving the monthly payment of approx. $1300.00.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: assisted living

Message 10 of 22

@RoseC611089 wrote:

without savings how can we get into assisted living? We get ss, some pension, 

Hi Rose! I'm sorry i missed your question! Some counties and states have subsidized buildings for elders, with food and cleaning provided. There is a lovely place in DC for example which takes only 1/3 of your income and provides all kinds of services. One client (of a geriatric care manager i worked with) made only 600 income in SS, and so paid 200. what a deal. And in a very nice area of DC (tenley circle, very posh now.)  Go meet with a social worker at your agency for aging services, found by putting your zip code in eldercare.gov and come back to tell us what you learned! 

'cause we are all learning all the time.

jane

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors