Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Falls

I have a friend whose father is 90+ years old. He still has all of his facutlies but has fallen 3 times ing the last 4 weeks. What can I do to help her?

Regular Contributor

I am a 75-year-old woman. A few hours after having a dexascan that showed my bones had degraded to the point where I now need Prolia injections, I slipped on a wet sidewalk, somehow landing on my left hip and right knee. Two men helped me up, and after taking stock of myself, limped to my car and drove home. Couldn't even use a cane. On which side would I hold it? My son drove me around for the next week or so till my knee recovered. The bruises were world class! Someone is watching over me. 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@kimzeesmom wrote:

I am a 75-year-old woman. A few hours after having a dexascan that showed my bones had degraded to the point where I now need Prolia injections, I slipped on a wet sidewalk, somehow landing on my left hip and right knee. Two men helped me up, and after taking stock of myself, limped to my car and drove home. Couldn't even use a cane. On which side would I hold it? My son drove me around for the next week or so till my knee recovered. The bruises were world class! Someone is watching over me. 

Hi Kimzeesmom

As Jen says, SO GLAD you are much much better. I wonder if you might benefit from a class that helps with balance, since you now know your bones are pretty porous. Perhaps tai chi, or yoga, or some physical therapy. Falls are very serious and should be avoided at all costs. As i read your post i was afraid you were going to say you broke your hip!

Just my 2 cents, but perhaps your doctor can recommend a path toward greater strength and balance. She or he could clear you for a personal trainer, too!

Here's hoping for no more falls....

Jane

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi Jane -  Should have mentioned that besides finally needing Prolia at 75, and being innately clumsy, I have had Guillain-Barre Syndrome for the past three years. It's a neurological disease that affects mostly the arms and legs on both sides of the body, so rare that only about 1 in 100,000 people get it. People can fall because numb feet can't feel the ground. Seemed every time I turned around I was on my face, because I couldn't feel the floor. Neber broke anything. Great bruises though! I did have gait therapy and hand therapy. It's pretty much "burned out" according to the neurologists. My legs and feet are more or less well now, but I'm left with numb, shaky hands that drop things and break things. Also cut myself while filleting chicken, since I don't feel anything till I see the blood. Always have bandaids handy. But I count muself lucky. People have spent weeks in the hospital, been on respirators and in wheelchairs. I was able to get along outside with a cane and holding onto my son, inside, at first with a walker, then the cane and a wall. My son has been all that is patient with the infirm. I'm lucky to have him with me. He says I'll be around a long time. Hope he's right. Just hope my brain holds up!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@kimzeesmom wrote:

Wow, so happy you recovered swiftly! 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Contributor

My mom fell twice in the last month.  Both times she broke a wrist, now she is in two casts, she can't even get a drink of water.  I am at a loss, but am afraid this may be too much for me to handle on my own.  I am glad you recovered quickly, hopefully she will too!

0 Kudos
Contributor

My mom fell twice in the last month.  Both times she broke a wrist, now she is in two casts, she can't even get a drink of water.  I am at a loss, but am afraid this may be too much for me to handle on my own.  I am glad you recovered quickly, hopefully she will too!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Falls are not an unusual occurence during the aging process. One of the most important areas to assess is the reason(s) for the fall. It is helpful to also assess where the falls occur. Falls can occur due to vision problems, balance issues, medical problems that can increase falls etc. Also falls can occur due to clutter and other safety issues. A medical evaluation/checkup is important to rule out or correct medical issues. Also, certain safety enhancements can occur at home to help reduce falls. Many falls occur in bathrooms, unlit areas, and when navigating steps. There are companies that can help make modifications to bathrooms that may help reduce falls. Changes can be as simple as wearing non skid shoes, decluttering a room and placing safety/non-skid mats on floors. Falls can be managed. 

Dr. Marcy 

Community Concierge

@d58793g wrote:

I have a friend whose father is 90+ years old. He still has all of his facutlies but has fallen 3 times ing the last 4 weeks. What can I do to help her?

Hi d58793g:

Please share this with your friend. 

Common Risk Factors

• Balance and Gait – as we age, declining coordination, balance and flexibility increase fall risk.
  • Vision and Hearing Loss – both vision and hearing impairments increase risk for older adults.
  • Medications – certain medications, or combinations of medications, may cause dizziness or dehydration, leading to increased risk of falling.
  • Environment – often seniors haven’t installed necessary modifications to improve home safety.
  • Chronic Health Conditions – complications from conditions such as arthritis, stroke, UTI, or diabetes can increase fall risk.

5 Steps to Prevent Falls

1. Exercise – find an exercise program such as Tai Chi that improves balance, fitness, and strength.
  2. Vision and hearing checks – schedule annual screenings and update eyeglasses prescriptions.
  3. Review medications – have your doctor or pharmacist regularly review prescriptions for possible side effects that may increase fall risk.
  4. Keep your home safe – perform regular home safety assessments; remove tripping hazards, increase lighting, and make assistive modifications.
  5. Talk to your health care provider – communicate any concerns and ask for a fall risk assessment.
AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Contributor

Get a bath mat suction cups.Good luck.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I got a bath mat with suction cups like our family had back in the sixties. After falling 3 times all due to soap,rinses or conditor. There was no time to grab a bar. Feel a lot better and safer. Cheers everyone! Onward!

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I have also had several recent falls and I am only in my mid-60s.

I think part of my issue is weakness when I have not had enough sleep, and am investigating the fall alert systems, as currently healthy otherwise.

I would suggest, perhaps, a thorough physical, as it may be some physical ailment, or disease (e.g., Parkinsons)? If not that, then investigate fall alert systems, just to be safe?

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP